Re: Need Basic PI Course

  • Leif
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12 1:43 PM
      Here is some basic report writing iformation that I wrote several
      years ago. Hope it helps. Anyone can critique me also should the
      urge arise.
      Leif "Krang"

      Good report writing although you may find it tedious and unimportant
      is a necessary part of Surveillance. Most of the people who will be
      reading (and trying to comprehend) your reports are not experienced
      in the field. Doctors, Lawyers and insurance people are in their
      field because they are good or they excel at it. They are not
      investigators. In this publication we will discuss direct statements
      that will inform the layman of observed occurrences that may go
      unnoticed.

      1. WRITING MEDIA Ö

      2. OBSERVED OCCURRENCEÖ

      3. RECORDERD STATEMENT Ö

      4. PRESENTATION OUTLINE Ö

      Writing Media at the beginning of my work was pencil, paper, and a
      notebook. (That's a paper notebook) Today laptops and personal
      organizers are the more accepted media. Still the basics remain the
      same. You should be able to record what you observe while it is
      happening or shortly after. This reduces errors. During
      investigations a portable tape recorder or digital recorder to keep
      a record of what was observed and who observed it. Used during
      surveillance to keep track of movement, locations, descriptions and
      vehicles.

      The way you keep notes should be what you're comfortable
      with as long as you can keep accurate records and be able to present
      learned information in an accepted manner.

      Mini recorders can be obtained inexpensively at most every
      store; the tapes can be saved for reference with out taking up a lot
      of room. You may want to consider this purchase as there are many
      options that will be important. Is it easy to use? Does it fit in
      your hand? Does it play back at double speed? You should be able to
      operate it with one hand and without looking at it. This may seem
      trivial but while tailing, looking away from your target can be the
      end of the day. Ten seconds of fumbling for the record button and
      your target can turn off, change lanes to turn, accelerate to pass
      another vehicle or an uninvolved vehicle can pull out. Any one of
      these can cause you to lose your target. Worse an accident can
      happen.

      Laptops are an excellent way to type reports. You can
      remain on the surveillance site and begin your daily report. With
      wireless modems, public lans and email you can accomplish many
      things. I believe that your report should be finished when your job
      is. The most accurate reports are completed while the observations
      are fresh in your memory. The type of laptop you choose is
      unlimited. It should be able to be powered by your vehicle and
      should have a word program of some type. Spell checking and grammar
      checking are also important. Our company's typist and I use the same
      word program. I asked her for a copy of the template she uses and
      now I just fill it in. If you and your company use similar programs
      you can transfer files on floppy or e-mail them in. This was not
      company policy but I arranged it with the typist. This is also good
      for "missing reports" a second copy is easily obtained. Repeat cases
      that you have a record of can be copied and pasted to save more time.

      Also available are hand held personal assistants. These
      can be programmed to recognize handwriting and turn it into text for
      you. You can use the device for notes and report writing. There are
      not as many Internet options for these but they are compact and easy
      to use.

      As I said before how you do it is not as important as
      turning in a good quality report.

      OBSERVED OCCURRENCE

      Stop reading and look around you. That's long enough. What
      did you see? What did you actually see and what did you assume was
      there? You can easily assume any thing even though you did not
      observe it. If you see a claimant walking away from a vehicle with
      an open trunk, you can assume that the claimant opened the trunk,
      but you didn't observe it. You can say: (The claimant was observed
      walking away from his vehicle, towards the residence. The trunk of
      the vehicle is now open.) This may or may not be important later but
      it could be a basis for trouble. IE What happens if you turn in the
      report that reads you saw him open the trunk? Now two days later you
      do the same surveillance and he has a wireless electric opener for
      the trunk. You have to be careful what you report. You must report
      only what you actually see, no matter what had to have happened. It
      may seem overly cautious but you should be careful how you make
      statements. IE. You know that a person driving a car got into the
      car. Did you see them get in? You can assume that they indeed
      boarded the vehicle. But did you see it? This may seem trivial now
      but later it may come back on you. When an attorney asks you about a
      report from two years ago that states you saw the claimant enter the
      vehicle when in fact the claimant had a garage where he entered the
      vehicle and there was no way you could have seen it. Will this cause
      you to lose the case? Will you now appear to look inept at your job?
      Little things make all the difference when you're in court.

      RECORDED STATEMENT

      You may never have any reason to take a witness statement
      (hopefully). There are many factors to consider when taking a
      statement. Never take anything for granted. I do recorded statements
      and even though the subject is looking at the recorder and has said
      that it is ok to record. Do you have it on tape? Make the subject
      state their full name the date and that they are aware that they are
      being recorded. IE my name is John Smith today is Monday July 4
      2005 I have given permission and I am aware that I am being
      recorded. This is the best start. Adjusters and lawyers will begin
      to expect this on all your recorded statements.

      Please allow the subject you are interviewing to state the
      details. The details of the event in their own words. Do not offer
      them words to help them. A witness statement is just that, A Witness
      statement. Have your questions ready so you do not have to look for
      details or paperwork during the recording. You must have the who,
      what, when and how questions ready. Try to stay away from the "what
      do you think questions".
      IE: Q. Mr Smith what time did you observe the action.
      A. About 10:00 o'clock
      Q. Was that am or pm Mr smith?
      A. PM
      Q. Can you tell me how you knew what time it was?
      A. I had just had my coffee break.
      Q. Please describe what you saw.
      A. I saw a white guy with a gun. He was pointing it at the
      clerk.
      Q. Where did you see this?
      A. At the abc mart.
      Q. Can you describe the white male?
      Try to clarify the answers rather than add the answers
      IE:
      Q. Mr Smith what time did you observe the action.
      A. About 10:00 o'clock
      Q. was that at night? (You added content here)
      A. Yes. (Try to get the witness to provide the information)

      This again may seem trivial but when the statement is reviewed the
      lawyer will have a way to make waves. Remember that just the
      slightest doubt may get a criminal free.

      PRESENTATION OUTLINE

      After you have generated all the material that you will
      present to the client. You should outline all the basic steps taken.
      This is also beneficial to you billing statement. The client should
      be able to immediately be able to see all the results you obtained
      and how you obtained them. Brief descriptions of what work was done
      and when.

      12354
      Surveillance and Investigation Preformed on John Smith
      Today's date 1-1-2005

      Work Preformed.
      On Tuesday 7-09-03
      we obtained video of the claimant mowing his lawn for approx. 1 hour.
      Full details on page four of this report.

      On Wed 7-10-03 We obtained a written statement from Jack Sprat
      Jack stated that he observed the claimant throw his lawn mower over
      the fence at his (The claimants) residence.
      Full details on page nine of this report.

      On Friday 7-12-03
      We contacted your office at 9:00 Am and spoke to Bob Johnson.
      He asked that we discontinue the surveillance and attempt to obtain
      one other recorded statement.

      On Monday 7-15-03
      We made an attempt to contact Millie Myerson for a statement.
      On Tuesday 7-16-03
      We contacted Millie Myerson and she declined to give a statement.
      We then contacted your office and again spoke to Bob Johnson.
      He requested that no further work be preformed.

      This format will allow your client to have the information at hand
      quickly. Just one time of fumbling for paperwork from another
      company to answer questions from their boss and you will get more
      jobs. When you make your client look good you look good.

    • greenwood152@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12 1:54 PM
        I don't know of one personally, but give Jeff Picchi a call up in Richmond at "Character Profiles". Or, give DCJS a call...they might even have some useful advise! Although I live in FL I'm also licensed in VA and I go to Jeff's classes every two years. He's a straight shooter and a helpful guy.

        Jeff Greenwood
        Licensed Private Investigator
        Ft. Lauderdale, FL

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13 9:46 AM
          ION's program has the ability to allow investigation agencies or
          even associations create their own "teaching test". Following this
          note is a link to one i created just to demonstrate how the tet
          works. It was prepared with the assumption that private
          investigators need a basic knowledge of law, insurance investigation
          and the art of logical thinking.

          http://www.ioninc.com/certs/cert2.asp?uniqueid=anyone1&testname=test2

          Anyone interested in utilizing this program for your agency or
          association should email me at lc@... and we will figure out
          a way to benefit everyone.

          Leroy Cook

          ***********

          --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VirginiaPI@... wrote:

          > Need Basic PI Course
          >

          > I am looking for a Basic PI training course that I can use in
          house for new
          > hires. If you know of such a course that includes some kind of
          exam I would

        • Leroy Cook
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13 9:49 AM
            Here is a test to look at as an example of a test any agency owner or
            association education director can create for their own use.

            http://www.ioninc.com/certs/cert2.asp?uniqueid=anyone1&testname=test2

            Using it is not free but the cost is nominal and depends on who and for what
            it is being used.

            Leroy Cook
            ION Incorporated
            Serving good clients and local professional investigators with over 32,000
            referrals since 1990
            <http://www.investigatorsanywhere.com> 800 338-3463
            4548 Jones Road Oak Harbor WA 98277