Need Basic PI Course

  • VirginiaPI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2006
      Need Basic PI Course

      I am looking for a Basic PI training course that I can use in house for new
      hires. If you know of such a course that includes some kind of exam I would
      appreciate hearing from you.

      Please respond on list since there may be others that are interested in the
      same thing.

      BK Vanhorn
      Vanhorn & Vanhorn, Inc.
      Clarksburg, WV & Roanoke, VA

    • Leif
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2006
        Here is some basic report writing iformation that I wrote several
        years ago. Hope it helps. Anyone can critique me also should the
        urge arise.
        Leif "Krang"

        Good report writing although you may find it tedious and unimportant
        is a necessary part of Surveillance. Most of the people who will be
        reading (and trying to comprehend) your reports are not experienced
        in the field. Doctors, Lawyers and insurance people are in their
        field because they are good or they excel at it. They are not
        investigators. In this publication we will discuss direct statements
        that will inform the layman of observed occurrences that may go
        unnoticed.

        1. WRITING MEDIA Ö

        2. OBSERVED OCCURRENCEÖ

        3. RECORDERD STATEMENT Ö

        4. PRESENTATION OUTLINE Ö

        Writing Media at the beginning of my work was pencil, paper, and a
        notebook. (That's a paper notebook) Today laptops and personal
        organizers are the more accepted media. Still the basics remain the
        same. You should be able to record what you observe while it is
        happening or shortly after. This reduces errors. During
        investigations a portable tape recorder or digital recorder to keep
        a record of what was observed and who observed it. Used during
        surveillance to keep track of movement, locations, descriptions and
        vehicles.

        The way you keep notes should be what you're comfortable
        with as long as you can keep accurate records and be able to present
        learned information in an accepted manner.

        Mini recorders can be obtained inexpensively at most every
        store; the tapes can be saved for reference with out taking up a lot
        of room. You may want to consider this purchase as there are many
        options that will be important. Is it easy to use? Does it fit in
        your hand? Does it play back at double speed? You should be able to
        operate it with one hand and without looking at it. This may seem
        trivial but while tailing, looking away from your target can be the
        end of the day. Ten seconds of fumbling for the record button and
        your target can turn off, change lanes to turn, accelerate to pass
        another vehicle or an uninvolved vehicle can pull out. Any one of
        these can cause you to lose your target. Worse an accident can
        happen.

        Laptops are an excellent way to type reports. You can
        remain on the surveillance site and begin your daily report. With
        wireless modems, public lans and email you can accomplish many
        things. I believe that your report should be finished when your job
        is. The most accurate reports are completed while the observations
        are fresh in your memory. The type of laptop you choose is
        unlimited. It should be able to be powered by your vehicle and
        should have a word program of some type. Spell checking and grammar
        checking are also important. Our company's typist and I use the same
        word program. I asked her for a copy of the template she uses and
        now I just fill it in. If you and your company use similar programs
        you can transfer files on floppy or e-mail them in. This was not
        company policy but I arranged it with the typist. This is also good
        for "missing reports" a second copy is easily obtained. Repeat cases
        that you have a record of can be copied and pasted to save more time.

        Also available are hand held personal assistants. These
        can be programmed to recognize handwriting and turn it into text for
        you. You can use the device for notes and report writing. There are
        not as many Internet options for these but they are compact and easy
        to use.

        As I said before how you do it is not as important as
        turning in a good quality report.

        OBSERVED OCCURRENCE

        Stop reading and look around you. That's long enough. What
        did you see? What did you actually see and what did you assume was
        there? You can easily assume any thing even though you did not
        observe it. If you see a claimant walking away from a vehicle with
        an open trunk, you can assume that the claimant opened the trunk,
        but you didn't observe it. You can say: (The claimant was observed
        walking away from his vehicle, towards the residence. The trunk of
        the vehicle is now open.) This may or may not be important later but
        it could be a basis for trouble. IE What happens if you turn in the
        report that reads you saw him open the trunk? Now two days later you
        do the same surveillance and he has a wireless electric opener for
        the trunk. You have to be careful what you report. You must report
        only what you actually see, no matter what had to have happened. It
        may seem overly cautious but you should be careful how you make
        statements. IE. You know that a person driving a car got into the
        car. Did you see them get in? You can assume that they indeed
        boarded the vehicle. But did you see it? This may seem trivial now
        but later it may come back on you. When an attorney asks you about a
        report from two years ago that states you saw the claimant enter the
        vehicle when in fact the claimant had a garage where he entered the
        vehicle and there was no way you could have seen it. Will this cause
        you to lose the case? Will you now appear to look inept at your job?
        Little things make all the difference when you're in court.

        RECORDED STATEMENT

        You may never have any reason to take a witness statement
        (hopefully). There are many factors to consider when taking a
        statement. Never take anything for granted. I do recorded statements
        and even though the subject is looking at the recorder and has said
        that it is ok to record. Do you have it on tape? Make the subject
        state their full name the date and that they are aware that they are
        being recorded. IE my name is John Smith today is Monday July 4
        2005 I have given permission and I am aware that I am being
        recorded. This is the best start. Adjusters and lawyers will begin
        to expect this on all your recorded statements.

        Please allow the subject you are interviewing to state the
        details. The details of the event in their own words. Do not offer
        them words to help them. A witness statement is just that, A Witness
        statement. Have your questions ready so you do not have to look for
        details or paperwork during the recording. You must have the who,
        what, when and how questions ready. Try to stay away from the "what
        do you think questions".
        IE: Q. Mr Smith what time did you observe the action.
        A. About 10:00 o'clock
        Q. Was that am or pm Mr smith?
        A. PM
        Q. Can you tell me how you knew what time it was?
        A. I had just had my coffee break.
        Q. Please describe what you saw.
        A. I saw a white guy with a gun. He was pointing it at the
        clerk.
        Q. Where did you see this?
        A. At the abc mart.
        Q. Can you describe the white male?
        Try to clarify the answers rather than add the answers
        IE:
        Q. Mr Smith what time did you observe the action.
        A. About 10:00 o'clock
        Q. was that at night? (You added content here)
        A. Yes. (Try to get the witness to provide the information)

        This again may seem trivial but when the statement is reviewed the
        lawyer will have a way to make waves. Remember that just the
        slightest doubt may get a criminal free.

        PRESENTATION OUTLINE

        After you have generated all the material that you will
        present to the client. You should outline all the basic steps taken.
        This is also beneficial to you billing statement. The client should
        be able to immediately be able to see all the results you obtained
        and how you obtained them. Brief descriptions of what work was done
        and when.

        12354
        Surveillance and Investigation Preformed on John Smith
        Today's date 1-1-2005

        Work Preformed.
        On Tuesday 7-09-03
        we obtained video of the claimant mowing his lawn for approx. 1 hour.
        Full details on page four of this report.

        On Wed 7-10-03 We obtained a written statement from Jack Sprat
        Jack stated that he observed the claimant throw his lawn mower over
        the fence at his (The claimants) residence.
        Full details on page nine of this report.

        On Friday 7-12-03
        We contacted your office at 9:00 Am and spoke to Bob Johnson.
        He asked that we discontinue the surveillance and attempt to obtain
        one other recorded statement.

        On Monday 7-15-03
        We made an attempt to contact Millie Myerson for a statement.
        On Tuesday 7-16-03
        We contacted Millie Myerson and she declined to give a statement.
        We then contacted your office and again spoke to Bob Johnson.
        He requested that no further work be preformed.

        This format will allow your client to have the information at hand
        quickly. Just one time of fumbling for paperwork from another
        company to answer questions from their boss and you will get more
        jobs. When you make your client look good you look good.

      • greenwood152@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2006
          I don't know of one personally, but give Jeff Picchi a call up in Richmond at "Character Profiles". Or, give DCJS a call...they might even have some useful advise! Although I live in FL I'm also licensed in VA and I go to Jeff's classes every two years. He's a straight shooter and a helpful guy.

          Jeff Greenwood
          Licensed Private Investigator
          Ft. Lauderdale, FL

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2006
            ION's program has the ability to allow investigation agencies or
            even associations create their own "teaching test". Following this
            note is a link to one i created just to demonstrate how the tet
            works. It was prepared with the assumption that private
            investigators need a basic knowledge of law, insurance investigation
            and the art of logical thinking.

            http://www.ioninc.com/certs/cert2.asp?uniqueid=anyone1&testname=test2

            Anyone interested in utilizing this program for your agency or
            association should email me at lc@... and we will figure out
            a way to benefit everyone.

            Leroy Cook

            ***********

            --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, VirginiaPI@... wrote:

            > Need Basic PI Course
            >

            > I am looking for a Basic PI training course that I can use in
            house for new
            > hires. If you know of such a course that includes some kind of
            exam I would

          • Leroy Cook
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2006
              Here is a test to look at as an example of a test any agency owner or
              association education director can create for their own use.

              http://www.ioninc.com/certs/cert2.asp?uniqueid=anyone1&testname=test2

              Using it is not free but the cost is nominal and depends on who and for what
              it is being used.

              Leroy Cook
              ION Incorporated
              Serving good clients and local professional investigators with over 32,000
              referrals since 1990
              <http://www.investigatorsanywhere.com> 800 338-3463
              4548 Jones Road Oak Harbor WA 98277