Re: [infoguys-list] Re: Thomas Pubs and Equipment ****BUYER BEWARE****

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
      zkbecker, wrote the following at or about 10/9/2006 1:25 PM:
      > On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
      > with good customer service? Thanks.

      There are so many specialties that it's really hard to find just one or
      even a couple that "are all things to all men (and women<g>)"

      Start by being very careful or ignoring places that entice you with
      promises of riches beyond imagination while, at the same time, offering
      you texts or programs covering everything under the sun, "certification"
      after completing their "one book" course of home study, and, of course,
      include a certificate of completion or certification along with the
      initial purchase.<g>

      Charles C. Thomas Publishing, of Springfield, IL offers a wide range of
      publications for investigations and law enforcement. Most all of them
      are quite good and are often used in college Criminal Justice programs.
      They are authored by a wide range of experts (acknowledged as such by
      their peers rather than by hype of the publisher).

      Lawyers & Judges Publishing of Tucson, AZ also publishes a number of
      very good texts and manuals.

      Look around and if you see something that looks good, ask others about
      it before you buy. If you read the tout for a certain book and you find
      yourself asking yourself, "Gee, how can I possibly learn all that just
      by reading..." You've already learned how to investigate and understand
      that what you're reading likely can't pass the basic "smell test."

      When dealing with book titles, MOST mainstream works will be found
      through more than one site. i.e., even though the easiest place to find
      some products is through the publisher, the better ones will be
      available through a multitude of outlets like Amazon.com, Barnes &
      Noble, etc.

      Don't hesitate to explore some of the lesser known pubs though. Frank
      Ritter has an excellent book that covers quite well (granted some areas
      are covered better than others) almost anything you'd likely want to
      know about conducting just about any type of investigation. It's not
      the be all, end all and doesn't pretend to be. Think of it as a
      "Cliff's Notes" for investigators. Very, very handy book and it truly
      is a book. With spine, binding, hard cover and all that good stuff.
      Not a 30 page paperback with staples that might cut your fingers as you
      tear it up in frustration over the semi-literate writing you find therein.

      --
      Enjoy,

      Bob
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      e-mail: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
    • Tracy Rudisel
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
        Hello Everyone,

        Check us out www.spytrends.com We know how important customer service is being that we also run our investigations company. I think you'll be impressed with what we have to offer at comparable prices.

        Please feel free to email us with any questions you may have concerning our products at our store.

        zkbecker <zbecker@...> wrote:
        On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
        with good customer service? Thanks.

        Tracy Rudisel
        Rudisel Investigations
        9457 S.University Blvd.#122
        Littleton, Co. 80126
        303.944.4242
        Rudiselinvestigations@...
        www.rudiselinvestigations.com
        www.spytrends.com
        Member NAIS, PBUS

      • Leif
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2006
          Visit http://www.spyville.com they offer a toll free number for sales
          and tech. They know how to use what they sell.

          Leif "Krang"

        • TOMPIAM001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
            There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
            Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for at
            least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
            it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
            would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
            (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
            mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my association With
            NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

            Thomas Hoy
            AM/PM Online Investigations Int'l
            P.O. Box 2072
            Ocean Shores, WA. 98569
            (360) 289-0117 Tel/Fax (360) 289-4662

            Costa Rica Office:
            AM/PM Investigations Int'l
            50 Mts Oesta Bomba Shell, Lava Mas
            Heredia ,Costa Rica 3000

          • VirginiaPI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
              In a message dated 10/11/2006 2:05:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              TOMPIAM001@... writes:

              There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
              Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for
              at
              least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
              it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
              would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
              (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
              mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my
              association With
              NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

              I assure you it is more than occasional. I can remember several years ago
              buying books that were written in large type and only printed on one side of
              the page, yet advertised as 130 pages or so. AND if you bought the book you
              got a certificate that supposedly proved expertise in that area. When I
              complained they just blew me off.

              Thomas seemed to cater to PI wannabes and definitely not to the real
              professionals with their NAIS badges and membership etc. Their equipment is
              overpriced and usually some kind of foreign made junk knockoff of what you can buy
              elsewhere. AND if service is what you want you definitely need to shop
              elsewhere. I bought a defective piece of equipment from them in the last month
              (even I never learn) and they would not cover shipping for the return so I had
              to PAY to send back their junk and ALSO refunds are out of the question.

              So I reiterate if you do business with Thomas ****BUYER BEWARE*******

              BK Vanhorn
              Vanhorn & Vanhorn
              Clarksburg, WV & Roanoke, VA

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                Thomas -

                I do have a question that maybe you can answer since you've actually been
                involved with them. I've been unable to find certain things and perhaps you know
                where I can find them. On the other hand, maybe I just totally
                misunderstand what is being done.

                What is NAIS? Are there members? Since you must be a licensed private
                investigator to form such an association as is mandated by TX law, who formed
                NAIS as a professional association? Or is it simply a non-profit corporate
                association? Obviously it cannot be a for-profit corporation unless, of course,
                members are actually shareholders and their dues and renewals actually
                purchase shares.

                Where can I find the bylaws? Where can I find the Articles of Incorporation?

                OUCH !!! NORAD just flew over at a mighty low level.

                Anyway, if you now any of these answers, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I
                think others would also.

                ________________________

                818-242-9824 FAX

                a military veteran !

              • jrm1@optonline.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                  A plane has crashed into a NYC high-rise at 73rd Street. They think it was
                  a helicopter although witnesses have described a 4 passenger white piper cub
                  type plane.
                  Now a 4 alarm fire (Need response from 4 firehouses)
                  It is believed the plane belonged to NY Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle who died
                  in the crash.

                  John Misak
                  US UNCOVER, NY
                  `1 888 US UNCOVER
                  info@...

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1003554/grpspId=1705059354/msgId
                  =10125/stime=1160599620/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3"