Re: Thomas Pubs and Equipment ****BUYER BEWARE****

  • zkbecker
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
      On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
      with good customer service? Thanks.
    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
        zkbecker, wrote the following at or about 10/9/2006 1:25 PM:
        > On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
        > with good customer service? Thanks.

        There are so many specialties that it's really hard to find just one or
        even a couple that "are all things to all men (and women<g>)"

        Start by being very careful or ignoring places that entice you with
        promises of riches beyond imagination while, at the same time, offering
        you texts or programs covering everything under the sun, "certification"
        after completing their "one book" course of home study, and, of course,
        include a certificate of completion or certification along with the
        initial purchase.<g>

        Charles C. Thomas Publishing, of Springfield, IL offers a wide range of
        publications for investigations and law enforcement. Most all of them
        are quite good and are often used in college Criminal Justice programs.
        They are authored by a wide range of experts (acknowledged as such by
        their peers rather than by hype of the publisher).

        Lawyers & Judges Publishing of Tucson, AZ also publishes a number of
        very good texts and manuals.

        Look around and if you see something that looks good, ask others about
        it before you buy. If you read the tout for a certain book and you find
        yourself asking yourself, "Gee, how can I possibly learn all that just
        by reading..." You've already learned how to investigate and understand
        that what you're reading likely can't pass the basic "smell test."

        When dealing with book titles, MOST mainstream works will be found
        through more than one site. i.e., even though the easiest place to find
        some products is through the publisher, the better ones will be
        available through a multitude of outlets like Amazon.com, Barnes &
        Noble, etc.

        Don't hesitate to explore some of the lesser known pubs though. Frank
        Ritter has an excellent book that covers quite well (granted some areas
        are covered better than others) almost anything you'd likely want to
        know about conducting just about any type of investigation. It's not
        the be all, end all and doesn't pretend to be. Think of it as a
        "Cliff's Notes" for investigators. Very, very handy book and it truly
        is a book. With spine, binding, hard cover and all that good stuff.
        Not a 30 page paperback with staples that might cut your fingers as you
        tear it up in frustration over the semi-literate writing you find therein.

        --
        Enjoy,

        Bob
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        e-mail: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
      • Tracy Rudisel
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
          Hello Everyone,

          Check us out www.spytrends.com We know how important customer service is being that we also run our investigations company. I think you'll be impressed with what we have to offer at comparable prices.

          Please feel free to email us with any questions you may have concerning our products at our store.

          zkbecker <zbecker@...> wrote:
          On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
          with good customer service? Thanks.

          Tracy Rudisel
          Rudisel Investigations
          9457 S.University Blvd.#122
          Littleton, Co. 80126
          303.944.4242
          Rudiselinvestigations@...
          www.rudiselinvestigations.com
          www.spytrends.com
          Member NAIS, PBUS

        • Leif
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2006
            Visit http://www.spyville.com they offer a toll free number for sales
            and tech. They know how to use what they sell.

            Leif "Krang"

          • TOMPIAM001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
              There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
              Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for at
              least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
              it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
              would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
              (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
              mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my association With
              NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

              Thomas Hoy
              AM/PM Online Investigations Int'l
              P.O. Box 2072
              Ocean Shores, WA. 98569
              (360) 289-0117 Tel/Fax (360) 289-4662

              Costa Rica Office:
              AM/PM Investigations Int'l
              50 Mts Oesta Bomba Shell, Lava Mas
              Heredia ,Costa Rica 3000

            • VirginiaPI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                In a message dated 10/11/2006 2:05:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                TOMPIAM001@... writes:

                There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
                Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for
                at
                least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
                it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
                would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
                (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
                mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my
                association With
                NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

                I assure you it is more than occasional. I can remember several years ago
                buying books that were written in large type and only printed on one side of
                the page, yet advertised as 130 pages or so. AND if you bought the book you
                got a certificate that supposedly proved expertise in that area. When I
                complained they just blew me off.

                Thomas seemed to cater to PI wannabes and definitely not to the real
                professionals with their NAIS badges and membership etc. Their equipment is
                overpriced and usually some kind of foreign made junk knockoff of what you can buy
                elsewhere. AND if service is what you want you definitely need to shop
                elsewhere. I bought a defective piece of equipment from them in the last month
                (even I never learn) and they would not cover shipping for the return so I had
                to PAY to send back their junk and ALSO refunds are out of the question.

                So I reiterate if you do business with Thomas ****BUYER BEWARE*******

                BK Vanhorn
                Vanhorn & Vanhorn
                Clarksburg, WV & Roanoke, VA

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Thomas -

                  I do have a question that maybe you can answer since you've actually been
                  involved with them. I've been unable to find certain things and perhaps you know
                  where I can find them. On the other hand, maybe I just totally
                  misunderstand what is being done.

                  What is NAIS? Are there members? Since you must be a licensed private
                  investigator to form such an association as is mandated by TX law, who formed
                  NAIS as a professional association? Or is it simply a non-profit corporate
                  association? Obviously it cannot be a for-profit corporation unless, of course,
                  members are actually shareholders and their dues and renewals actually
                  purchase shares.

                  Where can I find the bylaws? Where can I find the Articles of Incorporation?

                  OUCH !!! NORAD just flew over at a mighty low level.

                  Anyway, if you now any of these answers, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I
                  think others would also.

                  ________________________

                  818-242-9824 FAX

                  a military veteran !

                • jrm1@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                    A plane has crashed into a NYC high-rise at 73rd Street. They think it was
                    a helicopter although witnesses have described a 4 passenger white piper cub
                    type plane.
                    Now a 4 alarm fire (Need response from 4 firehouses)
                    It is believed the plane belonged to NY Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle who died
                    in the crash.

                    John Misak
                    US UNCOVER, NY
                    `1 888 US UNCOVER
                    info@...

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1003554/grpspId=1705059354/msgId
                    =10125/stime=1160599620/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3"