Re: [infoguys-list] Thomas Pubs and Equipment ****BUYER BEWARE****

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 25, 2006
      Rick -

      Why don't you tell us how you really feel??? LOL

      My sentiments precisely. I could not have said it better.

      ________________________

      818-242-9824 FAX

      a military veteran !

    • zkbecker
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
        On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
        with good customer service? Thanks.
      • Bob Hrodey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
          zkbecker, wrote the following at or about 10/9/2006 1:25 PM:
          > On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
          > with good customer service? Thanks.

          There are so many specialties that it's really hard to find just one or
          even a couple that "are all things to all men (and women<g>)"

          Start by being very careful or ignoring places that entice you with
          promises of riches beyond imagination while, at the same time, offering
          you texts or programs covering everything under the sun, "certification"
          after completing their "one book" course of home study, and, of course,
          include a certificate of completion or certification along with the
          initial purchase.<g>

          Charles C. Thomas Publishing, of Springfield, IL offers a wide range of
          publications for investigations and law enforcement. Most all of them
          are quite good and are often used in college Criminal Justice programs.
          They are authored by a wide range of experts (acknowledged as such by
          their peers rather than by hype of the publisher).

          Lawyers & Judges Publishing of Tucson, AZ also publishes a number of
          very good texts and manuals.

          Look around and if you see something that looks good, ask others about
          it before you buy. If you read the tout for a certain book and you find
          yourself asking yourself, "Gee, how can I possibly learn all that just
          by reading..." You've already learned how to investigate and understand
          that what you're reading likely can't pass the basic "smell test."

          When dealing with book titles, MOST mainstream works will be found
          through more than one site. i.e., even though the easiest place to find
          some products is through the publisher, the better ones will be
          available through a multitude of outlets like Amazon.com, Barnes &
          Noble, etc.

          Don't hesitate to explore some of the lesser known pubs though. Frank
          Ritter has an excellent book that covers quite well (granted some areas
          are covered better than others) almost anything you'd likely want to
          know about conducting just about any type of investigation. It's not
          the be all, end all and doesn't pretend to be. Think of it as a
          "Cliff's Notes" for investigators. Very, very handy book and it truly
          is a book. With spine, binding, hard cover and all that good stuff.
          Not a 30 page paperback with staples that might cut your fingers as you
          tear it up in frustration over the semi-literate writing you find therein.

          --
          Enjoy,

          Bob
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          e-mail: inquiry@... or rth@...
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063
        • Tracy Rudisel
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2006
            Hello Everyone,

            Check us out www.spytrends.com We know how important customer service is being that we also run our investigations company. I think you'll be impressed with what we have to offer at comparable prices.

            Please feel free to email us with any questions you may have concerning our products at our store.

            zkbecker <zbecker@...> wrote:
            On that note, can anyone recommend legit places to buy good equipment
            with good customer service? Thanks.

            Tracy Rudisel
            Rudisel Investigations
            9457 S.University Blvd.#122
            Littleton, Co. 80126
            303.944.4242
            Rudiselinvestigations@...
            www.rudiselinvestigations.com
            www.spytrends.com
            Member NAIS, PBUS

          • Leif
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2006
              Visit http://www.spyville.com they offer a toll free number for sales
              and tech. They know how to use what they sell.

              Leif "Krang"

            • TOMPIAM001@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
                Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for at
                least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
                it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
                would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
                (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
                mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my association With
                NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

                Thomas Hoy
                AM/PM Online Investigations Int'l
                P.O. Box 2072
                Ocean Shores, WA. 98569
                (360) 289-0117 Tel/Fax (360) 289-4662

                Costa Rica Office:
                AM/PM Investigations Int'l
                50 Mts Oesta Bomba Shell, Lava Mas
                Heredia ,Costa Rica 3000

              • VirginiaPI@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                  In a message dated 10/11/2006 2:05:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  TOMPIAM001@... writes:

                  There is the right to do business and the wrong way like this trashing of
                  Thomas Publishing and NAIS. I have done business with Ralph and Barbara for
                  at
                  least 15 years and occasionally have a problem but usually they straighten
                  it out. But from what I have seen lately from these self serving e-mails I
                  would not trust or do business with this kind that are now trashing NAIS
                  (Barbara & Ralph Thomas) Show me any business that does not make occasional
                  mistakes including me. I have made a lot of new clients during my
                  association With
                  NAIS and Thomas Publications. And what is the track record of these newbies.

                  I assure you it is more than occasional. I can remember several years ago
                  buying books that were written in large type and only printed on one side of
                  the page, yet advertised as 130 pages or so. AND if you bought the book you
                  got a certificate that supposedly proved expertise in that area. When I
                  complained they just blew me off.

                  Thomas seemed to cater to PI wannabes and definitely not to the real
                  professionals with their NAIS badges and membership etc. Their equipment is
                  overpriced and usually some kind of foreign made junk knockoff of what you can buy
                  elsewhere. AND if service is what you want you definitely need to shop
                  elsewhere. I bought a defective piece of equipment from them in the last month
                  (even I never learn) and they would not cover shipping for the return so I had
                  to PAY to send back their junk and ALSO refunds are out of the question.

                  So I reiterate if you do business with Thomas ****BUYER BEWARE*******

                  BK Vanhorn
                  Vanhorn & Vanhorn
                  Clarksburg, WV & Roanoke, VA

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                    Thomas -

                    I do have a question that maybe you can answer since you've actually been
                    involved with them. I've been unable to find certain things and perhaps you know
                    where I can find them. On the other hand, maybe I just totally
                    misunderstand what is being done.

                    What is NAIS? Are there members? Since you must be a licensed private
                    investigator to form such an association as is mandated by TX law, who formed
                    NAIS as a professional association? Or is it simply a non-profit corporate
                    association? Obviously it cannot be a for-profit corporation unless, of course,
                    members are actually shareholders and their dues and renewals actually
                    purchase shares.

                    Where can I find the bylaws? Where can I find the Articles of Incorporation?

                    OUCH !!! NORAD just flew over at a mighty low level.

                    Anyway, if you now any of these answers, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I
                    think others would also.

                    ________________________

                    818-242-9824 FAX

                    a military veteran !

                  • jrm1@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11, 2006
                      A plane has crashed into a NYC high-rise at 73rd Street. They think it was
                      a helicopter although witnesses have described a 4 passenger white piper cub
                      type plane.
                      Now a 4 alarm fire (Need response from 4 firehouses)
                      It is believed the plane belonged to NY Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle who died
                      in the crash.

                      John Misak
                      US UNCOVER, NY
                      `1 888 US UNCOVER
                      info@...

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1003554/grpspId=1705059354/msgId
                      =10125/stime=1160599620/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3"