Re: [infoguys-list] Identity Theif (Thief)

  • J.D. Abolins
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
      [resent due to an misaddressing my "from" address for this list -JDA]
      On Friday 15 September 2006 02:14, Betteye wrote:
      > Sue I got the feeling that you can locate SS# over the internet. They used
      > a search engine but quickly removed the scene. They almost faded it out.

      As the other people responding to this question noted, it's nowhere that easy.

      Can SSNs and other "sensitive" info be found via the Internet? Yes. But....

      Can you find a specific person's SSN for free? Usually no. Once in a while,
      you may luck out.

      Can you just search for SSNs in general and find some for free? Yes, but it's
      not so easy. Try searching for "SSN" itself via Google and you'll get most
      hits for US nuclear subs and some discussions about SSNs in general. Oh,
      there are search techniques that might find some case of careless slips such
      as folks posting their own resumes without redaction, a few "revenge" sites
      where the target's SSN and other personal info is posted (as happened with a
      friend of mine), and some public records being posted online. Enough for a
      catchy news story.

      If you are willing to pay, there are data services that can provide the
      number.

      How serious are those cases of SSNs being online? Most "identity theft" (I
      prefer identity linked fraud" as being closer to the truth) does not involve
      the online SSN finds. In itself, the SSN is not all that useful. So finding,
      say, an older college grades listing with only the class info, students'
      SSNs, and the respective grades is not all that useful unless one has a lot
      more info from other sources.

      By the way, even with the data breaches wheres SSNs along with other
      personally identifying info are taken, where are some indications that very
      little of the info is exploited for financial fraud. See
      http://20six.co.uk/jabolins/art/237031/ID_Analytics_Much_Stolen_Data_is_Not_Exploited

      Not good data practice to post SSNs in full open on the Web (and that's not
      the fault of the search engines) but nowhere as a danger as sometimes
      portrayed.

      --
      J.D. Abolins
      Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies

      --
      J.D. Abolins
      Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies
      http://www.20six.co.uk/jabolins/
    • Ricky Gurley
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
        --- suesarkis@... wrote:

        > Rick -
        >
        > I just found that once I google someone and realize
        > there is no LEGAL
        > acceptable reason, I just suggest they hire a PI.
        > We have enough headaches without
        > idiots educating the world to show them how smart
        > they are or how much they
        > know. That's what got us into the whole mess we're
        > in right now.

        If you want to assign blame, then you need look no
        further than our industry, Sue.. It is not the
        educated public that has put the screws to our
        industry, it is the irresponsible and/or ignorant
        Private Investigators that have. The public SHOULD in
        fact be properly educated about what is proper and
        ethical in investigative work, and perhaps it should
        be by responsible Private Investigators.. While we are
        "perhapsing", I might also add that if the public is
        properly educated by responsible Private
        Investigators, about proper and ethical investigative
        work, then perhaps the public would not think we are
        all a bunch of "Privacy Rapists"..

        I would agree not to give the farm away, I mean if I
        would have mentioned a specific database, or technique
        for getting an SSN, I could understand how I might be
        criticised for not being discrete....

        > What ever happened to "discretion is the better part
        > of valor" ???

        There are some things that should be handled with
        discretion, and there are some things that there is no
        harm in being open about.. A good P.I. would know the
        difference...

        Rick.

        "Columbia's Premiere Private Investigation's Company"

        MAILING ADDRESS: 2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203

        Phone: (636) 410-0251
        Fax: (636) 410-0257
        EMERGENCY LINE & FAX: (866) 878-7099

        Email: RMRI-Inc@...
        http://www.rmriinc.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Vicki Siedow
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
          Guys, I posted privately with this Betteye, as I imagine some others have.
          I think we're being messed with here. I suggest that no one deal with her.

          --
          Vicki Siedow
          Siedow & Associates Investigations

          Need economical legal help?
          Concerned about Identity Theft?

          On 9/15/06, J.D. Abolins <meyda@...> wrote:

          > [resent due to an misaddressing my "from" address for this list -JDA]
          >
          > On Friday 15 September 2006 02:14, Betteye wrote:
          > > Sue I got the feeling that you can locate SS# over the internet. They
          > used
          > > a search engine but quickly removed the scene. They almost faded it out.
          >

          > As the other people responding to this question noted, it's nowhere that
          > easy.
          >
          > Can SSNs and other "sensitive" info be found via the Internet? Yes.
          > But....
          >
          > Can you find a specific person's SSN for free? Usually no. Once in a
          > while,
          > you may luck out.
          >
          > Can you just search for SSNs in general and find some for free? Yes, but
          > it's
          > not so easy. Try searching for "SSN" itself via Google and you'll get most
          >
          > hits for US nuclear subs and some discussions about SSNs in general. Oh,
          > there are search techniques that might find some case of careless slips
          > such
          > as folks posting their own resumes without redaction, a few "revenge"
          > sites
          > where the target's SSN and other personal info is posted (as happened with
          > friend of mine), and some public records being posted online. Enough for a
          >
          > catchy news story.
          >
          > If you are willing to pay, there are data services that can provide the
          > number.
          >
          > How serious are those cases of SSNs being online? Most "identity theft" (I
          >
          > prefer identity linked fraud" as being closer to the truth) does not
          > involve
          > the online SSN finds. In itself, the SSN is not all that useful. So
          > finding,
          > say, an older college grades listing with only the class info, students'
          > SSNs, and the respective grades is not all that useful unless one has a
          > lot
          > more info from other sources.
          >
          > By the way, even with the data breaches wheres SSNs along with other
          > personally identifying info are taken, where are some indications that
          > very
          > little of the info is exploited for financial fraud. See
          >
          > http://20six.co.uk/jabolins/art/237031/ID_Analytics_Much_Stolen_Data_is_Not_Exploited
          >
          > Not good data practice to post SSNs in full open on the Web (and that's
          > not
          > the fault of the search engines) but nowhere as a danger as sometimes
          > portrayed.
          >
          > --
          > J.D. Abolins
          > Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies
          > http://www.20six.co.uk/jabolins/
          >
          > --
          > J.D. Abolins
          > Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies
          > http://www.20six.co.uk/jabolins/

        • Betteye
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 16, 2006
            Thank you for being professional with your response to my post. I will follow the links. Perhaps you are correct about the television show being **catchy news story** .

            Betteye
            [resent due to an misaddressing my "from" address for this list -JDA]
            On Friday 15 September 2006 02:14, Betteye wrote:
            > Sue I got the feeling that you can locate SS# over the internet. They used
            > a search engine but quickly removed the scene. They almost faded it out.

            As the other people responding to this question noted, it's nowhere that easy.

            Can SSNs and other "sensitive" info be found via the Internet? Yes. But....

            Can you find a specific person's SSN for free? Usually no. Once in a while,
            you may luck out.

            Can you just search for SSNs in general and find some for free? Yes, but it's
            not so easy. Try searching for "SSN" itself via Google and you'll get most
            hits for US nuclear subs and some discussions about SSNs in general. Oh,
            there are search techniques that might find some case of careless slips such
            as folks posting their own resumes without redaction, a few "revenge" sites
            where the target's SSN and other personal info is posted (as happened with a
            friend of mine), and some public records being posted online. Enough for a
            catchy news story.

            If you are willing to pay, there are data services that can provide the
            number.

            How serious are those cases of SSNs being online? Most "identity theft" (I
            prefer identity linked fraud" as being closer to the truth) does not involve
            the online SSN finds. In itself, the SSN is not all that useful. So finding,
            say, an older college grades listing with only the class info, students'
            SSNs, and the respective grades is not all that useful unless one has a lot
            more info from other sources.

            By the way, even with the data breaches wheres SSNs along with other
            personally identifying info are taken, where are some indications that very
            little of the info is exploited for financial fraud. See
            http://20six.co.uk/jabolins/art/237031/ID_Analytics_Much_Stolen_Data_is_Not_Exploited

            Not good data practice to post SSNs in full open on the Web (and that's not
            the fault of the search engines) but nowhere as a danger as sometimes
            portrayed.

            --
            J.D. Abolins
            Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies
            http://www.20six.co.uk/jabolins/

            --
            J.D. Abolins
            Meyda Online Info Security & Networked World Studies
            http://www.20six.co.uk/jabolins/

          • Tina M. Hood
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2006
              May I suggest a couple of things?

              One, contact the Secretary of State in your state. He/she oversees
              the Notaries Public in your state. Report the name of the Notary
              who notarized the fraudulent documents. They will start an
              investigation. If the Notary is found guilty, they are punishable
              by imprisonment and/or large fines.

              Two, contact the Attorney General's office in your state. This
              office oversees all types of fraud in your state, especially
              mortgage fraud. They will want to hear about this and will help
              you. The Attorney General's office can, and will, bring huge fines
              against any mortgage company or broker that they find engaging in
              fraudulent activity. They can also stop them from operating in your
              state.

              In the future, you can check to see if your lender has any RESPA
              violations by going to the HUD site. The government lists all the
              violators there, what they did, and how much they were fined.

              --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Betteye" <the_boldens@...>
              wrote:

              > Budget cuts have caused thing to get nasty out her!
              >
              > Example: Mortgages, when you obtain a mortgage you deliver a lot
              of information not knowing that the person that you are delivering
              this information might be a felon. The broker, the person that owns
              the company must be clean but not his employees. That is where the
              game starts. In the old days we could purchase a home without a
              lawyer, just title insurance and disclosure statement. Now we need
              a lawyer, inspection, and to have your own private appraiser.
              > You process/sign the papers some 3-400 pages and you don't read
              every page as a mater of fact you don't have say a week or two to
              review what you are going to sign the day of the mortgage signing. I
              used the word felon maybe too loose but the person taking your
              application has criminal history. He processes your mortgage,
              telling you that he is only charging 500.$ when in fact he is
              getting something like 6,000$ homes are not going up it is the
              players entering the market. Remember this is a felon so he keeps a
              copy of your social security numbers and all of your assets. You
              keep coming back signing papers providing information. thinking that
              you have more papers to sign yet you are not closing on the papers
              you are currently signing. The scam is getting a notarized document
              from you that is only linked by a number (page number). Remember
              you had 3-400 pages to sign. This person would up getting our house
              and never giving us a dollar down payment, mp buy and sell, they
              never even replenished our escrow account and when it was all done
              we had a page one and two filed with the register of deed. We were
              sent copies of these pages after the fact. There are missing
              signatures but who cares the register of deed can's tell who typed
              in the information. So the deed gets filed. The payments are made
              sometimes and not sometimes. You want to hold on to your credit but
              if we loose our credit why shouldn't that person loose there credit
              as well? The recording of the payments can be reported to the credit
              bureaus. The cost to cleanse credit is something like 200.00 per
              late payment. That is a small price to have lived a life with good
              credit and not having any information on the person who is living in
              your home and you are making many of the payments. Don't talk about
              the law! Budget cuts and the knowledge of these people render you
              powerless.

              > What can I say.... two must play the game!
              >
              > On television I saw them use Google. Google was the only item on
              the page. I've been checking background check pages and they don't
              offer a guarantee of money back. If you locate one please let me
              know. This sucker even ran a check to make sure I was keeping up the
              payments! I closed my credit down for future inquires. Identity
              theft is white collar.

              > Example:Did you know that when you go to the hospital that you
              sign a paper agreeing not to hold the hospital responsible if they
              give you an infection? When signing, they point out all of the main
              points of what you are signing, don't give you copies, and you can't
              sue unless you substain permanent damage. They never point out that
              you are giving them permission to give you an infection.

              > Betteye
              >
              > PS I was not even there nor did I see the notary who notarized
              page three. I'm looking into this mater now to determine what can
              be done to the notary. Hopefully she has a bonded for more than
              25,000$