Re: Rewards for Justice Program

  • Alfred
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hello Carol,

      Now you have raised a very intersting question. I am not that well
      versed in this program, in fact, it was news to myself as well when
      I read it...intelectually, I would say no. My rationale would be
      that since they are offereing the reward that it is expected that
      you as an individual or group would provide all the grunt work
      associated. Subtract your cost from the top of the reward, and
      there you have it your net profit/gain.

      My further thoughts would be that if you have a lead on an
      individual, that you could work with a group that would be able to
      provide you with the logistics, intelligence and so forth with the
      understanding that they will be properly compensated once things are
      wrapped up. Of course, a true professional would understand this.

      Does anyone else have any insight ?

      Alfred Smith

      Alfred Smith Detective Agency
      Indianapolis, Indiana

      --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "c.o" <lickermo@...> wrote:

      > Hi there Alfred
      > thats intresting news.However i do have one question.Does the
      reward for Justice programme contract,authorise and /or actively
      assist independant entities to look up wanted persons.
      > for instance,There is high suspicion of a Rwandan Kabga wanted for
      genocide crimes.Does the programme seek individual help in such
      cases?
      > Regards
      > Lydspi
      > Nairobi
      > Carol
      >
      > Alfred <alfrdsmith@...> wrote:
      The Rewards for Justice Program has paid more than $62 million for
      > information that prevented international terrorist attacks or
      helped
      > bring to justice those involved in prior acts.
      >
      > The following examples are based on real-life instances where
      rewards
      > were paid. Details have been fictionalized to protect identities.
      >
      > After the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center in New York,
      accused
      > bomber Ramzi Ahmed Yousef fled the U.S. Leaflets and posters, even
      > matchbooks, were distributed world-wide seeking this fugitive. Not
      > long after, an informant offered a tip regarding Yousef's
      > whereabouts. He was captured in Pakistan and is now in jail in the
      > U.S. The informant received a reward for sharing this knowledge.
      >
      > Forty-eight hours before an airport bombing was set to occur, it
      was
      > stopped by a brave young man who stepped forward with information.
      > The terrorist had already assembled automatic weapons , grenades,
      and
      > explosives. The young man received a significant reward and this
      > family was relocated to a safe place. Hundreds of lives were
      saved.

      > A young woman came forward with information regarding aircraft
      > hijackers who brutally beat passengers. She stated that she "felt
      > strongly about justice being done." The team leader of the
      hijackers
      > was returned to the U.S. and is imprisoned on air piracy charges.
      >
      > A young woman, a student at a foreign university, witnessed the
      > brutal assassination of a U.S. diplomat. Two attackers were
      placed in
      > a foreign prison for life as a result of the information she
      > provided. She received a reward.
      >
      > In addition to a cash reward, personal protection is available.
      You
      > and your family may be relocated to a safe location, and have an
      > opportunity to start a new life, pay for a home, and educate your
      > children.
      >
      > Rewards work. Rewards do get paid. Thousands of people around the
      > world are alive because of them.
      >
      > 1-800-US REWARDS
      > 1-800-877-3927
      >
      > Rewards for Justice
      > Washington, D.C.
      > USA
      > 20522-0303

    • Marvin Woodworth
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2006
        With regards to the Program.
        The following are questions and any with regards to
        the rewards.
        Q: Can you provide some information about the Rewards
        for Justice Program?

        Answer:

        The goal of the Rewards for Justice Program is to
        bring international terrorists to justice and prevent
        acts of international terrorism against the United
        States.

        Under the program, the Secretary of State may offer
        rewards up to $25 million for information that
        prevents, frustrates, or favorably resolves acts of
        international terrorism against U.S. interests
        worldwide, or leads to the arrest or conviction, in
        any country, of terrorists responsible for such acts.

        The Program has been an effective tool in the fight
        against international terrorism.

        Since the program's inception, the United States has
        paid over $62 million to over 40 people who have
        provided credible information that put terrorists
        behind bars or prevented acts of international
        terrorism worldwide.

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: How effective is the program?

        Answer:

        The program saves lives. People have provided
        information that has helped us prevent or favorably
        resolve acts of international terrorism against U.S.
        interests and put terrorists in prison, thereby saving
        thousands of innocent lives.

        Q: Can you provide some details on specific rewards
        payments?

        Answer:

        The largest payment to date was $30 million. A key
        aspect of this program is that we ensure that
        confidential.

        In order to ensure the safety of people who provide us
        with information, we do not comment on specific
        rewards payments or cases in which we have paid a
        reward.

        However, the Rewards for Justice Program has been
        enormously successful over the years. Our advertising
        campaigns played an important part in the capture of
        terrorist Ramzi Yousef.

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: Can a person receive a reward for information on a
        terrorist not on the most wanted list?

        Answer:

        Yes, if the terrorist has been involved in or was
        planning an attack against U.S. persons and/or
        property. In addition, a reward may be paid for the
        identification or location of a key leader of a
        terrorist organization. RFJ can also pay rewards for
        information on a member of a drug cartel who is
        trafficking drugs to help raise money to sustain or
        support a terrorist organization or to finance acts of
        international terrorism.

        Q: What if a source risks his/her life to provide
        information on a terrorist and then he/she finds that
        his/her life is in danger? Can the Rewards for Justice
        Program provide protection?

        Answer:

        Yes, protection and relocation of a source and his/her
        family are available if it is deemed necessary for
        security reasons. Many rewards program participants
        have been relocated in the past, but we cannot provide
        details due to the assurance of strict
        confidentiality. These matters are considered on a
        case by case basis.

        Q: How can we be sure that you've actually paid
        rewards if you won't give us specifics?

        Answer:

        We provide a classified report to Congress each time a
        reward is paid under this program, but specific
        rewards amounts have been made public. There have been
        several public RFJ rewards ceremonies in the
        Philippines, for example, and the record $30 million
        reward amount for information leading to the location
        of Uday and Qusay Hussein was also confirmed. Click
        here for more information.

        Q: What about the reported $25 million in the
        September 11 attacks?

        Answer:

        The Patriot Act of 2001 raised the reward amount to
        $25 million in the September 11th attacks only.

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: Is the money all government or some private?

        Answer:

        The money offered here comes from the U.S. Government.

        In cases involving U.S. civil aviation, the Air
        Transport Association of America and the Airline
        Pilots Association International have pledged up to $
        1 million each in funds to supplement rewards paid by
        the U.S. Government.

        Q: Can you provide details on the Rewards for Justice
        Fund?

        Answer:

        The Rewards for Justice Fund is a non-governmental,
        non-profit 501 (c) (3) charitable organization created
        and administered by a group of private American
        citizens.

        The group approached the State Department shortly
        after the September 11 attacks, requesting approval to
        raise money through donations from the general public
        to support the Rewards for Justice Program.

        We reviewed this proposal and support the efforts of
        the Rewards for Justice Fund.

        Additional questions should be directed to the Fund at
        the website www.rewardsfund.org

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: How is the size of a reward amount determined?

        Answer:

        The process for paying a reward:

        A person is nominated for a reward from a U.S.
        investigating agency.

        An interagency committee chaired by the Department of
        State evaluates the information provided and
        determines if a reward should be paid.

        If the committee believes a reward should be paid, it
        then sets an amount for payment.

        The committee determines the size of the reward
        payment based on a number of factors, including the
        value of the information provided, the risk faced by
        the informant, and the degree of the informant's
        cooperation in an investigation or trial.

        A recommendation for payment is made to the Secretary
        of State.

        The Secretary then consults with the Attorney General.

        If both approve the reward, then a reward is paid.

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: What agencies sit on the interagency committee?

        Answer:

        State Department (Chair)
        National Security Council
        Department Of Justice
        FBI
        CIA
        Other Agencies, depending upon the particular case
        (Note: For example, if the case involves civil
        aviation, we would invite the FAA to participate.)
        back to top | send a tip

        Q: Are there any exclusionary provisions for
        eligibility that would keep those certain people from
        getting a reward? How about people with unsavory
        backgrounds?

        Answer:

        Under the U.S. law that governs the program, federal,
        state, and local government employees are not eligible
        for a reward if they provide information while in the
        performance of their official duties.

        While there are no other statutory exclusions for
        rewards payments, we closely examine the backgrounds
        of those individuals nominated for rewards payments.

        Q: By offering a reward, aren't you encouraging bounty
        hunters?

        Answer:

        The Rewards for Justice Program offers rewards for
        information.

        We discourage bounty hunters or other non-governmental
        entities from pursuing the capture of terrorists.

        People with information should contact the FBI, the
        nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or contact us at
        Rewards for Justice, Washington D.C. 20522-0303, USA
        or call 1-800-US-REWARDS, or RFJ@....

        back to top | send a tip

        Q: How do you advertise the rewards?

        Answer:

        We use posters, matchbooks, paid advertisements
        (radio, newspapers), the Internet, and any other
        avenue we feel is appropriate to assist in disrupting
        terrorist activity and bringing a terrorist to
        justice.

        Q: Has the Internet been an effective tool in this
        program?

        Answer:

        The Internet has been a valuable tool in advertising
        our reward offers.

        Through the Internet, we can reach millions of
        subscribers in more than 150 countries, including
        Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria, and
        Sudan, the State Sponsors of international terrorism.

        By advertising our rewards over the internet, we seek
        to get our message into State Sponsored countries
        without censorship.

        Hope this answers some of the question.

        Marvin Woodworth
        Investigation Services Inc.
        Stealth Research Security Agency
        mwoodworth@...
        602.721.8508

        href="mailto:infoguys-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com">infoguys-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>
        > To unsubscribe, send a message to <a

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Alfred
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          All: This follow-up information was provided courtesy of Marvin
          Woodworth (stealthagency). Thank you Marvin for taking the time to
          enlighten us all! Al

          --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, Marvin Woodworth