8631NSA Patent 6,947,978.

  • Ricky Gurley
    Sep 28, 2005
      Who remembers the debate with Joanne Waldron about tracking computers
      on the Internet? Who remembers Kohno's white paper on identifying
      computers by their tcp time stamps that Joanne submitted?

      Score one for Joanne. Even though she had no way of knowing what the
      future would hold from Kohno's project, she did make a good point on
      that white paper.

      The N.S.A. just patented a technology that I beleive was largely
      developed from Kohno's research. It is an interesting "landmark" in
      cyber investigations, and/or email tracing. The N.S.A. now has a way
      to identify the location of users on the Internet by using a
      technology that is similar (I said SIMILAR) to "pinging" a cell phone.
      Looks like Kohno's research actually paid off. Below is the
      description of the N.S.A. Patent:

      Abstract

      "Method for geolocating logical network addresses on electronically
      switched dynamic communications networks, such as the Internet, using
      the time latency of communications to and from the logical network
      address to determine its location. Minimum round-trip communications
      latency is measured between numerous stations on the network and known
      network addressed equipment to form a network latency topology map.
      Minimum round-trip communications latency is also measured between the
      stations and the logical network address to be geolocated. The
      resulting set of minimum round-trip communications latencies is then
      correlated with the network latency topology map to determine the
      location of the network address to be geolocated."

      You can find the patent at this URL: http://tinyurl.com/bbxae

      An interesting topic of conversation I believe.....

      Rick.

      "Columbia's Premiere Private Investigation's Company"

      2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203

      Phone: (636) 410-0251

      Fax: (636) 410-0257

      Cell: (573) 529-0808

      EMERGENCY LINE: (888) 571-0958

      Email: RMRI-Inc@...

      Webpage: http://www.rmri.net/

      Come Join ProEmailTracing

      Learn EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about Cyber Investigations!

      Subscribe at: ProEmailTracing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      "Oh divine arts of subtlety and secrecy!

      Through you we learn to be unseen. Through

      you we learn to be unheard; and hence we hold

      the fate or our enemies in our hands....."

      Sun Tzu 500 B.C. "The Art Of War"

      It is not the critic who counts,

      not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,

      or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

      The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the

      arena.... who strives ..... who spends himself and who,

      at the worst, if fails, at least he fails while daring,

      so that his place shall never be with those cold and

      timid souls who knew neither victory or defeat.

      Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic