7520Re: Digest Number 1344

  • twnsnd_mrk
    Feb 28, 2005
      Arnold: I don't doubt that you are sincere in your belief that
      graphology works. But here's a different opinion that has wide support:

      Robert Todd Carroll

      Graphology is the study of handwriting, especially when employed as a
      means of analyzing character. Real handwriting experts are known as
      forensic document examiners, not as graphologists. Forensic (or
      questioned) document examiners consider loops, dotted "i's" and
      crossed "t's," letter spacing, slants, heights, ending strokes, etc.
      They examine handwriting to detect authenticity or forgery.

      Graphologists examine loops, dotted "i's" and crossed "t's," letter
      spacing, slants, heights, ending strokes, etc., but they believe that
      such handwriting minutiae are physical manifestations of unconscious
      mental functions. Graphologists believe such details can reveal as
      much about a person as astrology , palm reading, psychometry, or the
      Myers-Briggs personality type indicator. However, there is no
      evidence that the unconscious mind is a reservoir of truth about a
      person, much less that graphology provides a gateway to that reservoir.

      Graphology is claimed to be useful for everything from understanding
      health issues, morality and past experiences to hidden talents and
      mental problems.* However, "in properly controlled, blind studies,
      where the handwriting samples contain no content that could provide
      non-graphological information upon which to base a prediction (e.g., a
      piece copied from a magazine), graphologists do no better than chance
      at predicting... personality traits...." ["The Use of Graphology as a
      Tool for Employee Hiring and Evaluation," from the British Columbia
      Civil Liberties Association] And even non-experts are able to
      correctly identify the gender of a writer about 70% of the time
      (Furnham, 204).

      There are a variety of techniques used by graphologists.* Even so,
      the techniques of these "experts" seem to be reducible to impressions
      from such things as the pressure exerted on the page, spacing of
      words and letters, crossed t's, dotted i's, size, slant, speed and
      consistency of writing. Though graphologists deny it, the content of
      the writing is one of the more important factors in graphological
      character assessment. The content of a message, of course, is
      independent of the handwriting and should be irrelevant to the

      Barry Beyerstein (1996) considers many of the notions of graphologists
      to be little more than sympathetic magic, e.g., the notion that
      leaving wide spaces between letters indicates a proneness to isolation
      and loneliness because the wide spaces indicate someone who does not
      mix easily and is uncomfortable with closeness. One graphologist
      claims that a person betrays his sadistic nature if he crosses his
      t's with lines that look like whips.

      Since there is no useful theory as to how graphology might work, it is
      not surprising that there is no empirical evidence that any
      graphological characteristics significantly correlate with any
      interesting personality trait.

      Adrian Furnham writes
      Readers familiar with the techniques of cold reading will be able to
      understand why graphology appears to work and why so many (otherwise
      intelligent) people believe in it. [p. 204]

      Add to cold reading, the Forer or Barnum effect, confirmation bias,
      and communal reinforcement, and you have a fairly complete
      explanation for graphology's popularity.

      Graphology is another pipe dream of those who want a quick and dirty
      decision making process to tell them who to marry, who did the crime,
      who they should hire, what career they should seek, where the good
      hunting is, where the water, oil, or buried treasure is, etc.
      Graphology is another in a long list of quack substitutes for hard
      work. It is appealing to those who are impatient with such troublesome
      matters as research, evidence analysis, reasoning, logic, and
      hypothesis testing. If you want results and you want them now and you
      want them stated in strong, certain terms, graphology is for you. If,
      however, you can live with reasonable probabilities and uncertainty,
      you might try another method to pick a spouse or hire an employee.

      If on the other hand, you don't mind discriminating against people on
      the basis of pseudoscientific non-sense, then at least have the
      consistency to use a ouija board to help you pick the right graphologist.

      See related entries on crystals, palmistry, the polygraph and
      Rorschach testing.

      further reading
      Graphology from the Encyclopedia of the Paranormal by Barry Beyerstein
      Ask the Scientists - Barry Beyerstein on the abuse of graphology
      Mass Media Funk - Barry Beyerstein and Alan Alda on graphology
      Mass Media Bunk - graphology
      Mass Media Bunk - more graphology
      Graphological Gender Testing A humorous application of this "science".
      The American Society of Questioned Document Examiners
      "The Use of Graphology as a Tool for Employee Hiring and Evaluation,"
      from the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association

      Basil, Robert. "Graphology and Personality: `Let the Buyer Beware',"
      in The Hundredth Monkey and Other Paradigms of the Paranormal, ed.
      Kendrick Frazier (Buffalo, N.Y.: Prometheus Books, 1991), pp. 206-208.

      Beyerstein, Barry. "Graphology," in The Encyclopedia of the Paranormal
      edited by Gordon Stein (Buffalo, N.Y.: Prometheus Books, 1996), pp.
      Beyerstein, Barry and Dayle F. Beyerstein, editors, The Write Stuff -
      Evaluations of Graphology, the Study of Handwriting Analysis (Buffalo,
      N.Y.: Prometheus Books, 1991).
      Furnham, Adrian. "Write and Wrong: The Validity of Graphological
      Analysis," in The Hundredth Monkey and Other Paradigms of the
      Paranormal,ed. Kendrick Frazier (Buffalo, N.Y.: Prometheus Books,
      1991), pp. 200-205.
      Gardner, Martin. Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science (New York:
      Dover Publications, Inc., 1957), ch. 24.
      ┬ęcopyright 2002
      Robert Todd Carroll