4316Re: [infoguys-list] Suicide 101: Lessons Before Dying

  • tom sisk
    Feb 9, 2003
      Anyone can sue anyone else over anything. The real question is 'should they
      be able to win'? Courts will look at the nature of the claim and whether it
      has any chance of being proven valid - if not, well, that's why they made
      summary judgments. Including, perhaps, the awarding of attorney's fees. So
      it's a self-policing system, as I feel it should be (for whatever *that* is
      worth!)

      And what about their responsibility to monitor the activities of their
      teen-age son in their home (presuming that the website was accessed via a
      home computer)? Or their responsibility to monitor the son, himself? These
      are questions, only - I understand full well that it is sometimes
      (frequently) impossible to tell that a person, no matter how close the
      relationship, intends to commit suicide. With the exception of serious
      abuse-situations, it is never the survivor's fault or responsibility.

      The obstacle of proof will be high for the parents - there are a myriad ways
      for a distraught teen to commit suicide, none of which required the
      assistance of the website. The fact that he apparently chose a method from
      the website illustrates only that he was intending to kill himself. Had the
      website not been available, who is to say that he would not have walked in
      front of a train?

      > Should parents be allowed to sue because their
      > mentally-unstable teen accessed the site? Aspirin, for example, is
      > readily available at any drugstore? Is it the site's fault? What do
      > you think?

      I think that the wheel will turn the way it will turn, no matter what we
      think.

      Tom Sisk
      E. Thomas Sisk Investigations
      PO Box 9234