17366Re: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson

    Jun 8, 2011
      Bill -

      You and I can transport as many weapons as we want in locked and checked
      baggage. The last time I checked ammunition was limited to 11 lbs. There
      are various packaging rules established by the TSA, etc. and each airline
      should be checked as they also have their own individual rules but yep, you
      can carry weapons in your checked baggage. Also, you must declare them when
      checking in the baggage.

      Needless to say, I hope all of them combined do not have 11 lbs of
      ammunition left over. LOL

      By the way, how's Adriane?

      In a message dated 6/8/2011 4:07:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      mrpi8716@... writes:

      Generated a lot of bad PR for Delta as it should have. They should
      reimburse them and also give them a free first class trip.

      Having said that I question what the SGT had in the weapons bag that he
      used to protect himself and his buddies in Afghanistan. I did not realize
      that the US Military allowed a soldier to carry weapons from one station to
      another. Weapons are not personal items they belong to the unit tht you just
      left and you will get another one when you get to the new unit. Isn't there
      a law that prevent weapons on an airline except for law enforcemnt
      personell and then they have to be declared.

      William T. Moore PI8716
      P O Box 1898
      Duarte CA 91009
      _bilmopi@..._ (mailto:bilmopi@...)

      --- On Wed, 6/8/11, _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...)

      From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
      (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
      Subject: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson
      To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
      , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

      Soldiers' $2,800 in bag fees spark outrage

      By A. Pawlowski, CNN
      June 8, 2011 1:42 p.m. EDT

      (CNN) -- Stung by online comments calling it "disgusting" and
      "un-American," Delta Air Lines on Wednesday announced it will allow U.S.
      personnel traveling on orders to check more bags for free.
      The policy change, which is effective immediately, came a day after U.S.
      Army soldiers returning from Afghanistan complained that they were charged
      almost $3,000 in bag fees by the carrier.
      "We regret that this experience caused these soldiers to feel anything but
      welcome on their return home," wrote Rachael Rensink, manager of Delta
      Social Media, in an updated post on the carrier's blog.
      The incident sparked outrage online after the servicemen spoke out about
      their experience in a video posted on YouTube.
      In the clip -- which the men say was recorded on board a Delta flight from
      Baltimore to Atlanta on Tuesday, a day after they returned from
      -- the soldiers explain they had "a little issue with the bags."
      CNN affiliate WXIA in Atlanta identified the soldiers as U.S. Army Staff
      Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O'Hair.
      The men, who were bound for Fort Polk, Louisiana, said their military
      travel orders allowed them to carry up to four bags, but when they arrived
      the airport in Baltimore, Delta told them it allows military personnel to
      check only three bags for free.
      Members of the unit who were traveling with four bags ended up paying out
      of pocket for their extra luggage, the soldiers said in the video. They
      charged $200 per extra bag, so the 34-member unit ended up paying more
      than $2,800 in bag fees, the soldiers added.
      Any extra bag fees charged by an airline will be reimbursed by the
      government, a military spokeswoman told CNN affiliate WGCL in Atlanta.
      One of the soldiers in the video said the bag he had to pay for was a
      weapons case that contained "the tools that I used to protect myself and
      citizens while I was deployed in the country."
      The other man then looked into the camera, exasperated.

      "Good business model, Delta," he said sarcastically. "Not happy, not happy
      at all," he added, shaking his head.
      The airline apologized for "any miscommunication" about its bag
      but reiterated that its policy for U.S. military personnel allowed them to
      check up to four bags in First/Business class and three bags in coach for
      Other airlines, like United and US Airways, have similar rules.
      On Wednesday, Delta changed its policy and said U.S. military personnel
      traveling on orders would now be allowed to check up to four bags for free
      coach and up to five bags at no charge in First and Business Class.
      The carrier said it deeply respects and admires men and women in uniform
      and added that it has worked hard to ensure that U.S. military personnel
      "additional flexibility" when they travel on the carrier.
      The carrier said it's "continuing to work with the soldiers individually
      make this situation right for each of them."
      The soldiers may have been misinformed about how many bags traveling
      duty military personnel can check for free, Stars and Stripes reported.