15952Re: The cop

  • Jurydoctor@aol.com
    Mar 20, 2010
      My thoughts and answers to your questions in no particular order:

      Without knowing the definition of "rape" in this jurisdiction, I'd have to say first I'm a little shocked that rape is even an issue here. At most, I would think the prosecutor would charge Deputy Blow with something along the lines of official oppression or one of a variety of sexual misconduct charges that don't arise to the level of rape. Without worrying about the legal definitions, I see no rape here. I have some rather serious issues with the complainants' accusations.

      First, I have to say that, from a personal and legal perspective, the fact that the accusers are all illegal doesn't play into the situation for me. However, what does play to me is that the promise of the opportunity to apply for a green card is a great motivation. Without that motivation, would they still have brought the charges and cooperated? It's a bit of a catch 22, though, because the Latino/Hispanic culture places a big emphasis on machismo, and the idea of being "violated" by another male is particularly taboo in that culture. I would have to wonder if their cultural mores would outweigh their desire to become a US resident and/or citizen.

      Secondly, I would have to say that I don't believe the crimes ever occurred. There is no corroborating evidence, and, even though we have been corrupted by CSI like TV shows, there should be something to corroborate the accusations. The fact that there are multiple "victims" would tend to add credence to the charges if the accusers were not all from the same area with so many common traits. Each of the accusers has an ulterior motive, in the form of the visa, that fosters their spirit of cooperation and could easily lead to contrived accusations and charges. In addition, the multiple phone calls from one of the accusers to the deputy seem, at least on the surface, extremely odd. I'm not exactly sure what reason an accuser would have of trying to contact their assailant in a case such as this, and, to me, it makes the accuser's story even less credible.

      Also, to me, the deputy's religion and sexual preference are immaterial. As most areas with high Hispanic/Latino illegal populations seem to be in the Southern United States, I think the reference to his being gay and Jewish could very easily be seen as an attempt to make him into "one of them" as opposed to "one of us" with us being the predominantly religious (Christian), straight, white majority of the social structure in the south. I also would say that, to me, the fact that Deputy Blow is the representative at "gay sponsored" events is also irrelevant. Again, I think that serves to separate him from the "moral majority" for lack of a better term, and I think it further serves to emphasize a point that, to me at least, is irrelevant to the case.