15491Re: Sexting

  • RickyG
    Dec 4, 2009
      > Rick -
      > No, I am not referring to Megan Meier by any stretch of the imagination.
      > Apparently you are not current affairs savvy. We have had TWO young ladies
      > take their lives over "sexting".
      > I do not agree that teen curiosity has not changed. If you research the
      > national demographics through some of the government sites to check the mean
      > age of pregnancy in the '50's, '60's, '80's and '00's, you will see that
      > the "mean age" has lowered I believe it is by 4 years. I can assure you that
      > in the '50's and '60's, the normal 13, 14 and 15 year olds were NOT
      > getting pregnant nor even having intercourse.

      I look at the stats by the Federal Government and then I compare them against stats like these:

      "The teen birth rate has declined slowly but steadily from 1991 to 2002 with an overall decline of 30 percent for those aged 15 to 19. These recent declines reverse the 23-percent rise in the teenage birth rate from 1986 to 1991. The largest decline since 1991 by race was for black women. The birth rate for black teens aged 15 to 19 fell 42 percent between 1991 to 2002. Hispanic teen birth rates declined 20 percent between 1991 and 2002. The rates of both Hispanics and blacks, however, remain higher than for other groups. Hispanic teens now have the highest teenage birth rates. Most teenagers giving birth before 1980 were married whereas most teens giving birth today are unmarried."

      Obtained from: The National Campaign To Prevent Teen Pregnancy

      I read articles like this:

      "The United States has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world. Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually. Keep reading for more interesting facts on teen pregnancy statistics.

      The fact that just under 1/3 of all girls in the United States will get pregnant in their teenage years is a sobering thought. Obviously, teen pregnancy is a problem in the United States. And the following statistics back that up:

      Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant.
      Depending on the state, teenage birth rates are incredibly different. Nevada has the highest rate: 113 per 1000 and North Dakota the lowest 42 per 1000. Unmarried teenagers having children account for 24 percent of all unmarried expectant mothers. More than 2/3 of all teenagers who have a baby will not graduate from high school. Billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children and they are more likely to be in the poverty bracket. On the flip side, millions of dollars are spent in prevention programs. The good news is that teen births have dropped by almost a third since the beginning of the 1990s. With pregnancy prevention programs and more understanding and teaching about safe sex, this number will hopefully drop even more. Here are a few other statistics that hopefully point to even better prevention rates in the years to come:

      In 2002 the abortion rate among teenager mother was 50 percent lower than its high point in 1988. Among black teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 40 percent since 1990. Among Hispanic teenagers the pregnancy rate dropped around 19 percent since 1990. Among white teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 34 percent since 1990. So while teenager pregnancies are dropping, it is still a constant problem as there are more and more kids who enter their teenager years each year. Teenager pregnancy programs are important to as the above statistics are showing that these programs yield good results. These programs should be continually studied to make sure they are up-to-date and working in the education of teenagers on the problems of teenager pregnancy.

      One way of making sure to keep the programs fresh is to talk with the teenagers themselves, asking what they think about sex and how it is portrayed in their school life, by their friends, in their families, and in the media. How much do each of these contribute to how a teenager views sex? Parents and educators are in a position to somewhat monitor how sex and especially unsafe sex is being digested by the teenagers today. As more questions are answered and prevention programs initiated and/or updated, hopefully these statistics can continually to fall.

      As mentioned above, billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children while only millions are needed to provide good prevention program. For more information on teenage pregnancy prevention, see the Preventing Teenage Pregnancy article on this site.

      Teen Pregnancy Statistics Sources:

      Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Public Health and Services, "Office of Adolescent Pregnancy Programs," [online].
      Guttmacher Institute, "U.S. Teenage Pregnancy Statistics National and State Trends and Trends by Race and Ethnicity," [pdf online].
      National Center for Health Statistics, "National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 55, Number 1," [pdf online].
      TeenPregnancy.org, "Preventing Teen Pregnancy: Why it Matters," [pdf online].
      TeenPregnancy.org, "So What?" [online]."

      And I wonder....?

      Stats don't really mean much to me, not since I had a discussion on how to skew stats with a mathematician a while back. But, I think we can visibly see a contradiction in statistics here, if we want to play the "stat game". The stats that I have quoted seem to imply that recently the teen pregnancy problem seems to have been reduced a somewhat...

      I think that there is not much difference in those days of old and now, as you have implied. Teens were still getting pregnant, they just got married back then. My grandmother had her first child when she was 13, and had 12 children before she was 30. My grandparents were sharecroppers; they had to "produce workers to tend to the farm". LOL. The point is, the same thing was happening back in the 1930s and 1940s, and it was even acceptable back then, but of course only by marriage... LOL. My grandparents were not the only sharecroppers that had children when the female was of early age. In North Carolina back in the 1930s and 1940s apparently it was quite common, because many of my parent's friends came from homes where their mother had her first child when she was a young teenager. And while I may not have turned out "just fine"; my mother did.... LOL.

      I can only see one difference, and that is the advancement of technology. Teens viewed more graphic books than Hustler when I was coming up, I remember a magazine called "Puritan" that was floating around my high school (just type in "Puritan Magazine" in Google, if you don't believe me, but be prepared for some pretty graphic stuff). And the adult pornography scenes in that magazine 25 to 30 years ago were just as graphic as any adult porn you'd find on the Internet today. Don't fool yourself, the graphic depictions offered up on the Internet now, were offered up in magazines 25 and 30 years ago; perhaps the biggest difference is that it went from being a picture to being a video, but the "message" was not lost on the youth of yesterday....

      I simply don't think that much has really changed in regards to the children of today and the issues they are confronting today and the children of yesteryear and the issues they confronted yesteryear. I refuse to subscribe to the theory that current technology has put a threat around every corner for the children of today.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
      Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476