15488Re: Sexting

  • RickyG
    Dec 3, 2009

      > Rick -
      >
      > In my opinion anyone who thinks that young children have the RIGHT to
      > privacy is part of what is making this country such a irresponsible denizen of
      > worthless homosapiens. To equate "sexting" to "passing notes" is akin to
      > equating an atomic bomb to a hand grenade. Visual photographs of personal
      > body parts is NOT, by any stretch of imagination, similar to reading dirty
      > jokes.
      >
      > How many "Li'l Ricky's" committed suicide when mommy and daddy discovered
      > their Hustler Magazine?
      >
      > Sue

      First I think we should clear one thing up, IF you are referring to Megan Meier, she did not commit suicide because she was "sexting" or because she was instant messaging. She committed suicide because an irresponsible adult decided to play an emotional game with her that she could not handle. If this same situation would have occurred 25 years ago on pencil and paper instead of a computer with an emotionally fragile child, I believe the end result would have been the same.

      Second of all, do you think that if you could "flip a switch" on a cell phone and turn off all "sexting" and camera usage, that you would also shut down all teen hormones along with it? I have news for you, when I was in high school, in a very rural high school I might add, 13 and 14 year old girls were still getting pregnant, and guess what? They did not even have cell phones or computers back then.

      And third of all, you can't help the fact that your child IS in fact going to have some privacy away from you, unless you are going to keep him or her locked up in their room until he or she is 18, and then let's see how "healthy" that is for them. And YES, children should be shown some respect from their parents; it is how they learn to give others respect. And YES, respect also means respecting their expectation of privacy. Now, should they have less of an expectation of privacy than an adult? Of course, they should. But not necessarily NO expectation of privacy at all. Go ahead, show your child that he or she has no right to an expectation of privacy at all, and see how well they learn to respect other people's expectation of privacy.

      I am afraid that you are failing to realize what many other people are failing to realize. This problem is not even about a cell phone, or a computer or what occurs on them. And this problem is not new. Teens are going to have sexual experiences when they are away from their parents. It is a part of puberty. Now, maybe when you were a younger lady, puberty was not started until the age of 21, but nowadays and even when I was in school kids are confronting sexual issues at 13 and 14 years old, and perhaps even younger.

      While it is true that I have no children, I do remember being a child. I do remember what my peer group was confronting and experiencing when I was a child. And I see cases right now today, in which children are looking at and downloading images on the Internet that have gotten their parents in trouble, until I and my team have had to prove that it was in fact the children that were looking at these images and downloading them from the Internet.

      The hormones in a teenager have not changed. The teen curiosity has not changed. The situations that children confront in their peer groups have not changed. The only thing that has changed is the technology...

      And on a side note, Alienware Laptops ROCK!

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808