15128Re: [infoguys-list] 'preacher' fraud

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Sep 1, 2009
      While it may be, I am not sure that this is necessarily fraud.

      From my own experience, I was writing checks to my Church thinking that
      the Pastor was being supported. It was only after my wife became Treasurer
      that we realized how the system actually worked. Thereafter, I have written
      checks to the Church, and checks directly to the Pastor as I have felt
      most appropriate.

      I was audited recently - there was no question about this at all. Whether
      the check is written to the Church, with a "For The Pastor" notation in
      the memo field, or goes directly to the Church itself, the IRS doesn't care.

      I just mention this to you because you say that you still have some
      uncertainties as to what is actually going on.

      If you find that there is something suspicious, GENERALLY SPEAKING, any
      member of a Congregation can ask for an audit. This does not have to be
      awkward. If you, as an investigator, reported to the Church itself that a
      Congregant had expressed concerns, they would probably arrange an audit, or
      provide you the relevant information. The Pastor will cooperate completely if
      he expects to remain a Pastor.

      That is the GENERAL way that it works. I have no idea how Catholics do
      things, and some other Churches I am aware of are basically owned by the
      Pastor - he may physically own the place. In that case, it can be very awkward.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Oracle International
      Naples, FL 34101
      (239) 304-1639 V
      (239) 304-1640 F
      (239) 641-6782 C

      In a message dated 9/1/2009 6:41:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ArkInv@... writes:

      I have a 'preacher' who is getting some members of his congregation to
      take their gifts that were originally intended and designated to go to
      the church changed to go directly to him instead. I'm not exactly sure
      what and how at this point. I'm looking for your thoughts and
      suggestions on where to look to identify his targets. My client wants
      this to be very discrete but I'm looking for any thoughts on how and
      where to look to identify any potential fraud. Searching out bank
      accounts and the amount of money that flows through them is one way.
      I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Direct emails are welcome to me
      at _michaeljwest@michaeljwesmic_ (mailto:michaeljwest@...) .
      Thanks in advance.

      __
      From the desk of
      Michael J. West, CFE, CLEI
      Director of Investigations

      400 West Capitol Ave, Ste 1700,
      Little Rock, AR 72201
      501-605-0360 or 501-372-2202
      Arkansas License A20040061
      Louisiana License 6935-081908-Lo
      Oklahoma License 07PIA-3391

      Our motto is "We Find Answers®"
      and that's exactly what we do!

      Criminal Defense, Corporate Intelligence, Business Investigations,
      Legal Investigation, Insurance
      Interviews, Worker's Comp, Child Custody, Surveillance, Fraud, Marital
      Investigations, and Training.

      Visit our website at www.arkansas-Visit our websiVisi

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email
      message and any attachment(s) is the property of Arkansas
      Investigations and may be protected by state and federal laws
      governing disclosure of private information. It is intended solely
      for the use of the entity to who this email is addressed. If you are
      not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading,
      copying, or distribution of this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
      The Sender has not waived any applicable privilege by sending the
      accompanying transmission. If you have received this transmission in
      error, please notify the sender by return and delete the message and
      attachments(attachments(<WBR>s) from your system. This e-mail is co
      Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510 - 2521 and is
      legally privileged.