Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

14716Re: [infoguys-list] Question on Japanese Passports, etc.

Expand Messages
  • suesarkis@aol.com
    May 1, 2009
      Bob -

      Japan is not a Hague Convention signatory and U.S. court custody decisions
      are not enforceable in Japan. All children born to a Japanese parent
      since the 1980s are Japanese citizens, I do believe, and may travel on Japanese
      passports issued in the U.S. even if the left-behind parent in the U.S.
      does not agree to the issuance of a U.S. passport. The Japanese government
      will not refuse entry to one of its citizens, even if that citizen is a
      dual-national child subject to a U.S. court-based custody decision. The
      Embassy and our Consulates cannot serve process, appear in court on a U.S.-based
      parent’s behalf or carry out U.S.-based arrest warrants.

      The Embassy, State Dept. and our consulates do not have access to Japanese
      Immigration records and cannot confirm that a child has entered or
      departed Japan nor do they have any access to information about passport issuance.

      Although many airlines now require "parental consent" for such travel with
      minors and only one parent, the fact still remains that she would most
      likely travel JAL.

      Sure wish the information could have been more helpful.
      **************Join ChristianMingle.com® FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
      your area. Start now!

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic