14713Question on Japanese Passports, etc.

  • Bob Hrodey
    May 1, 2009
      Situation: Divorce pending. All parties located in Texas. Husband US
      Citizen, in USAF, wife is Japanese. Two children, US Citizens by birth,
      ages 2 and 4, have both Japanese and US Passports which are in custody
      of father (or his attorney). TRO issued preventing wife from fleeing
      country with children but it is feared that she either has or will
      obtain duplicate Japanese passports for children and flee country and
      return to Japan.

      Talks with Japanese consulate in TX have been unproductive. Basically,
      they tell husband that if the wife applies for duplicates she must
      disclose the existence of a court order before they will honor it EVEN
      IF THEY ALREADY ARE AWARE OF IT AND HAVE A COPY IN HAND. If she DOES
      NOT inform them, they will ignore the copy served upon them.

      Question: Does anyone have any experience in obtaining information
      through the US State Department to determine if duplicate passports for
      the children have been either applied for or issued.

      I've informed my employee, who is the grandmother of the children, that
      there is probably no way - particularly in any sort of expeditious
      fashion - to obtain this information but hope springs eternal.

      Anyone?

      *Private e-mail response please* unless you feel the group may benefit
      from your answer.

      --
      Enjoy,

      /Bob/
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      NAPPS
      Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
      Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
      337-4638 Fax
      email: inquiry@... or rth@...
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063