Fw: Festival of Electronic Art, Call for Applicants

  • Lucian Branea
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2003
      From: "Loredana Cazacu" <loredanadc@...>
      To: <romania_eu_list@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: <ngolist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 3:35 PM
      Subject: Festival of Electronic Art, Call for Applicants

      Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki August 14th - 22nd,
      2004

      ISEA2004: The 12th International Symposium on
      Electronic Art

      CALL FOR PROPOSALS #1: sub themes and large projects

      Deadline: February 28th 2003.
      (Please note: If you want to submit a paper, a work
      to an exhibition, or
      any other project that does not require long-term
      arrangements and can
      manage with commonly available technologies, please
      submit by the August
      15th, 2003 deadline.)

      http://www.isea2004.net
      new media art - media culture research - electronic
      music -
      art and science - cultural and social applications
      for new media -

      New media meets art, science, research, and popular
      culture at ISEA2004
      in Stockholm - Tallinn - Helsinki. For the first
      time an event of this
      scale is being organised between three cities and on
      the ferry
      travelling between these three Baltic countries.
      International
      participants and local audiences attend thematic
      conferences,
      exhibitions, live performances, screenings,
      satellite events, concerts
      and clubs. Many events are also interfaced via
      television, radio,
      broadband Internet, and mobile networks making them
      available to the
      widest possible audience.

      We are encouraging: Socially, critically and
      ecologically engaging work;
      Networked projects that connect several sites;
      Projects that bring the
      creative media to the streets; Projects that are
      worn
      on or
      inside people; Context sensitive work in the
      museums; Projects
      that
      float, dock or sail; Screen based media as it
      appears in 2004; Sea
      Fair: technological gizmos for ferry travellers and
      future media
      archaeologists to discover; Bridges between club
      scenes and art venues;
      Most engaging works from performing arts that engage
      new media, users,
      and audiences; Networks to network

      Key themes for the event include:
      Networked experience (Stockholm)
      Wearable experience (Tallinn)
      Wireless experience (Helsinki)
      Histories of the new: media arts, media cultures,
      media
      technologies
      - all cities

      Additional themes include:
      Interfacing sound (in collaboration with Koneisto)
      Open source and software as culture (Helsinki)
      Critical interaction design (Helsinki)
      Geopolitics of media (Tallinn)

      We are currently inviting proposals for additional
      conference and
      exhibition sub themes, large projects, technically
      or logistically
      complicated projects, projects that require work on
      site,
      projects or
      research which require collaboration with a local
      community,
      company,
      or a research institute, ideas which transform the
      event itself, tools
      for interaction and interfacing the event to urban
      spaces,
      etc.

      We are envisaging that large projects may include,
      but not be limited
      to: theoretical or practical workshops, technically
      complicated
      installations, live acts that demand a lot of
      staging -
      thematic or technically unusually interfaced
      screenings - games or
      shared environments that influence the event
      structure - pre- events or
      post-events in relation to the above dates - remote
      participation -
      etc.

      Our over all aim for ISEA2004 is to create an event
      which is
      thematically and critically coherent and provides
      new insight. You can
      suggest themes that link to those already suggested
      on the web site -
      http://www.isea2004.net/themes.html - or you can
      suggest an entirely new
      area which you feel is important to address in
      August 2004.

      Please note that ISEA2004 is a forum for artistic,
      academic, and
      culturally or socially relevant work that has not
      previously been
      presented in international forums (you may have
      showed/presented
      it
      in your local context).

      All submissions are done via our website using a web
      form and
      stored
      into a database. This procedure allows us to have
      the proposals reviewed
      by International Programme Committee (IPC) members.
      When
      you
      make a submission, it is recommended to that you
      choose a
      theme/city/genre - though especially in this first
      call we are
      also
      encouraging additional themes which you believe will
      be timely and
      relevant in late 2004.

      Are you an individual, or do you represent a group,
      organisation,
      research unit, a network, or a company? One of our
      aims is to
      provide
      various ways in which organisations and individuals
      will be introduced
      to one another before and during the event. The
      networking
      and social aspects of ISEA2004 are very important to
      us - so
      please
      suggest concepts, technologies or themes with this
      objective in
      mind.

      - -

      Why are we making the first call 16 months before
      the event?

      We want to enable you to propose challenging new
      work that
      requires
      time to produce and where our letter of acceptance
      may still
      assist
      you to secure partners or resources. We also want to
      be able to
      appropriately resource the presentation technology
      and network you with
      local collaborators if necessary. Ultimately we are
      interested
      in ensuring that ISEA2004 is a challenging and
      rewarding
      experience
      for its professional participants and multiple
      audiences! To this end
      we are keen to work with you to ensure that projects
      are appropriately
      resourced and supported.

      E-mail responses: when you submit your proposal, you
      will receive
      an
      email providing you with a code, which will identify
      your
      proposal.
      You may login to your submission via a URL sent to
      you to modify
      the
      submission until the end of February. After that,
      you can only
      modify
      your personal or organisation data. If you need to
      talk to us
      about
      the proposal, please include this code in the
      subject line of
      your e-
      mail.

      We very much look forward to hearing your ideas!

      Very best,

      Tapio Makela and Amanda McDonald Crowley
      e-mail: info@...
      http://www.isea2004.net

      MAIN ORGANISER
      m-cult, centre for media culture in finland

      HELSINKI MAIN PARTNERS
      Exhibition: The Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma
      Conference: Media Centre Lume (University of Art and
      Design) Electronic
      music: Koneisto (Festival for electronic music and
      arts)

      MAIN ORGANISER, STOCKHOLM
      Coordinator: CRAC, Creative Room for Art and
      Computing

      STOCKHOLM MAIN PARTNERS
      Conference: Kulturhuset and
      Royal University College of Fine Arts (Stockholm)
      Exhibition: F�rgfabriken
      Electronic music: Fylkingen

      MAIN ORGANISER, TALLINN
      Coordinator + conference: Estonian Academy of Arts

      TALLINN MAIN PARTNERS
      Conference venue: Eesti Kontsert Concert Hall
      Exhibition: Center for Contemporary Arts, Estonia at
      The Art
      Museum
      of Estonia

      MAIN PARTNER OF ISEA2004
      ISEA2004 is produced in collaboration with ISEA
      Inter-Society for
      the
      Electronic Arts

      This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft
      Exchange.