FW: Policies for Culture e-bulletin 11 (March 2005)

  • Oana Mateescu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005
      ________________________________

      From: Policies for Culture [mailto:info@...]
      Sent: 7 aprilie 2005 17:13
      To: info@...
      Subject: Policies for Culture e-bulletin 11 (March 2005)

      If you have problems viewing this issue in html format you may consult
      it at
      http://www.policiesforculture.org/issue.php?id=33&t=b.

      March 2005

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/e-bulletin.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/issue.gif>
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/11.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/contents.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      PfC's Choice

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      Policies for Culture News
      New publication in the "Force of example" series: Case study on
      Technological Park Culture - Bulgaria; Action project update:
      Developments in the framework of the recently launched ARCult Forum
      (Bucharest, Romania)

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      News from the region
      Bosnia & Herzegovina: "A Culture Served Cold"; Bulgaria & Romania:
      Foreseeing EU accession; Bulgaria & SEE: Establishing cultural
      cooperation projects in the region; Croatia: Continuation of the
      programme of capacity building for the cultural institutions in Zagreb;
      Serbia & Montenegro: Balkan Express stopped in Belgrade; Contemporary
      dance scene fights for legitimacy; SEE: UK South East Forum: Cultural
      Industries in SEE

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      Projects and initiatives
      E-761 OPEN HIGHWAY: Arts and Culture Networking Programme in Serbia;
      STEP within South East Europe: The experiences of the STEP beyond
      mobility fund of the ECF in facilitating mobility to/from/within the
      region

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      Upcoming Events
      Second European Cultural Forum (Luxembourg); International Forum on
      Turkey-Europe Cultural Relations (Istanbul, Turkey); The first meeting
      of the Banlieues d'Europ'Est (Bucharest, Romania); Dialogue on Culture
      and Culture Policy in the New Europe (Budapest, Hungary)

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      Opportunities
      CPEG - Cultural Policy Education Group launches Mobility Scheme;
      Managing Cultural Transitions in Southeastern Europe Course - Impact of
      Creative Industries & Cultural Cooperation in Southeastern Europe
      Conference (Dubrovnik, Croatia); Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University
      (AMSU); Reminder: Cultural Policy Research Award 2005

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/px_verde.gif>
      Publications & Information Resources
      Reports, books & website updates: Mapping opportunities for cultural
      cooperation - A short guide to the Romanian sector today; Discussions
      and information lists focusing on SEE; New website of the Ministry of
      Culture and Religious Affairs of Romania

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/sigla.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> PfC's Choice

      The Charter establishing the Council of Ministers of Culture of SEE has
      been signed
      On March 31, 2005, nine ministers of culture from the region have signed
      the Charter which establishes the "Council of the Ministers of Culture
      of South East Europe". The event has taken place in Copenhagen, at the
      invitation of the Nordic Council, one of the supporters of this
      initiative, and it follows the previous development meetings aimed at
      the setup of this regional council of ministers, which have been covered
      in our past issues. The Charter has been endorsed so far by ministers of
      culture from Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Macedonia, Montenegro,
      Romania, Serbia and Turkey. One of the main objectives of the Council is
      "the creation of a new forum for dialogue and interaction between the
      Ministers of Culture and other government and non-government structures
      to construct joint cultural strategies, opportunities and projects, and
      to exchange information and experiences". This will be pursued by
      "undertaking joint cultural projects, thus assisting in bringing closer
      the cultures of South Eastern European countries and in encouraging
      co-habitation and peace among them by respecting diversity; promoting
      and supporting, by political, legislative and administrative structures,
      the co-operation and co-ordination of independent, cultural
      organisations and institutions in the South East Europe; employing the
      potential of the existing programmes of the Council of Europe, UNESCO,
      EU and other non-governmental and intergovernmental organisations, in
      order to achieve synergy between the different international initiatives
      to the advantage of the South East Europe". Albania holds the presidency
      of the Council for one year.
      Consult the text of the Charter here HERE
      <http://www.norden.org/internationellt/sk/CharterFinal310305.pdf> . For
      further information contact Arben Kumbaro, Adviser of the Minister,
      Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport of the Republic of Albania at
      arben@....

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> Policies for Culture news

      New publication in the "Force of example" series: Case study on
      Technological Park Culture - Bulgaria
      The second issue of the Policies for Culture 'Force of Example'
      Publication Series features a new case study focusing this time on the
      experience of the "Technological Park Culture I & II"
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/project_home.php?id=15> action
      projects developed in the framework of the programme and implemented
      between 2001-2003. The project emerged as a distinctive process of civil
      society development with the aim of playing the role of both observatory
      and laboratory in the field of cultural policy development in Bulgaria.
      The publication, available in both English and Bulgarian versions, was
      prepared by Milena Deleva, and is available for free. The first
      publication in this series was the case study "Local Cultural Strategy
      Development for the City of Plovdiv - Bulgaria". Other case studies of
      the Policies for Culture action projects are under preparation and will
      be published in 2005.
      For more information and orders write to info@....

      Action project update: Developments in the framework of the recently
      launched ARCult Forum (Bucharest, Romania)
      The discussions that have taken place during the first meeting in the
      framework of the "ARCult Forum", organised by the ECUMEST Association on
      February 25, 2005, have been concerned with numerous aspects regarding
      the funding system for diverse fields and types of actors, as well as
      general funding principles and strategies in the cultural field. A brief
      report gathering the key issues that were identified during this
      meeting, with questions, proposals and suggestions that were brought up
      is now available in English on the webpage of this project. For the
      second meeting, which will take place on April 20, ECUMEST proposes one
      of the topics that have constantly been brought up during the
      discussions concerning the public funding and, at a more general level,
      the cultural market in Romania: "the independent sector". The debate
      aims to bring into discussion the notions of "independent",
      "non-governmental", or "freelance", alternatively trying to
      differentiate between the institutional, legal and artistic levels. It
      also sets out to bring forward the different perspectives and practices
      concerning the above-mentioned issues in the Romanian context.
      For more information contact the ECUMEST Association at
      ecumest@... or visit the webpage dedicated to this project
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/project_home.php?id=16#> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> News from the region

      Bosnia & Herzegovina: "A Culture Served Cold"
      Under this title, Transitions Online <http://www.tol.cz/> has published
      in March 2005 an article by Mirjana Plazonic, reporting that Bosnia's
      National Museum has reopened its doors, but that the battle with
      indifferent politicians over the financing of B-H's key national
      cultural institutions is far from over.
      Source: Bosnian Institute <http://www.bosnia.org.uk/> . For more
      information about this topic consult the entire article HERE
      <http://www.bosnia.org.uk/news/news_body.cfm?newsid=2015> .

      Bulgaria & Romania: Foreseeing EU accession
      > The Commissioner for Education, Training, Culture and Multilingualism,
      Jan Figel, has visited Sofia and Bucharest on 16-18 March 2005. Since
      his appointment as Commissioner, this was his first official visit to
      Bulgaria and Romania, and was dedicated to discussions with the
      authorities regarding the current developments in the fields of
      education and culture, and on the role of education in the Lisbon
      process of economic and social reforms, in view of the implementation of
      commitments taken in the pre-accession phase and which must be fulfilled
      before 1 January 2007. The Commisioner has also visited education
      institutions of the Bulgarian and Romanian capitals and has given
      speeches at the Bucharest University, respectively at the St Kliment
      Ohridski University of Sofia.
      For more details visit the websites of the Information Centre of the
      European Commission in Romania
      <http://www.infoeuropa.ro/ieweb/jsp/page.jsp?cid=3004&lid=2> and of the
      European Commission's Delegation to Bulgaria
      <http://www.evropa.bg/serv/Document?Action=show&LangID=698668666&HomeID=
      1456285646&LangName=EN&OrderBy=Place&Order=ASC&DocID=294612839> .

      > "Communicating Europe" is the title of the public lecture of Mr Atzo
      Nicolai, Minister for European Affairs of the Kingdom of the
      Netherlands, which will be hosted by the Red House Center for Culture
      and Debate, Sofia, on April 6. Mr. Nikolai has served as Director of the
      Arts Department at the Ministry of Welfare, Health and Culture and he is
      Secretary General of the Dutch Arts Council and of the Council for
      Culture. Source: www.redhouse-sofia.org <http://www.redhouse-sofia.org/>
      .
      On official visit in the region, Mr. Nikolai will also participate to
      the launching of the publication "Mapping opportunities for cultural
      cooperation - A short guide to the Romanian sector today" - realised by
      the ECUMEST Association at the commissioning of the Royal Netherlands
      Embassy -, which will take place in Bucharest, on April 7. More details
      about this publication are available below, in the Publications section.

      Bulgaria & SEE: Establishing cultural cooperation projects in the region
      > Bulgarian Culture and Tourism Minister Nina Chilova and her Greek and
      Turkish counterparts, Dimitris Avramopoulos and Atilla Koc respectively,
      have recently met to discuss the idea of creating a
      Sofia-Istanbul-Athens "golden triangle" for culture and tourism.
      According to Chilova, a pilot project called "Rhodopi Mountains - Home
      of Orpheus" is already being discussed by Bulgarian and Greek tour
      operators. Source: SETimes
      <http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/roun
      dup/2005/03/16/roundup-03> .
      > A Culture and Information Centre of the Republic of Bulgaria was
      opened at the Bulgarian Embassy in Skopje. The centre was promoted by
      Macedonian President Branko Crvenkovski and his Bulgarian counterpart
      Georgi Prvanov. The opening of the Centre is in line with the Agreement
      for reciprocal opening of cultural centres in the two countries, with
      the aim of promoting cultural cooperation between the two countries.
      Source: www.culture.in.mk <http://www.culture.in.mk/> .

      Croatia: Continuation of the programme of capacity building for the
      cultural institutions in Zagreb
      The one-year project of training in "Strategic Planning and
      Organisational Development in Culture: Cultural Institutions in the City
      of Zagreb" will come to an end on 8-9 April, 2005 with a round table on
      strategic planning and urban development. This first initiative
      supported by the Zagreb municipality will be continued in 2005. Thus,
      the Ministry of Culture and the City of Zagreb have already showed
      interest in supporting a project of training of trainers for the NGO
      sector in the cultural field, as well as of continuing the strategic
      planning training for public institutions while opening it up to the
      representatives of the cultural administration and cultural industries
      in Zagreb. This initiative is one of the follow-ups of the strategy
      development process launched in 2002, which has also enjoyed the support
      of the Policies for Culture programme and benefits from the constant
      involvement of experts of the PfC network such as Sanjin Dragojevic and
      Andrea Zlatar.
      For more information contact Sanjin Dragoevic at sdragoevic@....

      Romania: THEOREM General Assembly to take place in Bucharest
      The THEOREM network (Theatres de l'Est et de l'Ouest - Rencontres
      Europeennes du Millenaire) is holding its annual assembly in Bucharest,
      on 8-11 April 2005, under the organisation of Art Addict and Solitude
      Project Associations. On this occasion, the THEOREM members who will
      meet in Bucharest intend to have an insigt into the context of
      performing arts in Romania and to establish a dialogue with the local
      public authorities in the field in order to explore possible future
      collaborations and partnerships. The present assembly of THEOREM follows
      the recent re-organisation of the network, with the switch of the
      management team to Eastern Europe, after May 2004, at the recently
      formed Latvian Institute of New Theatre (Zane Kreicberga, Gundega
      Laivina and Karina Bandere) - which has taken over from the Paris team
      (Nathalie Vimeux and Myriam Chautemps) from March 2005.
      For more information contact Mihai Mihalcea, dancer & choreographer,
      Solitude Project, at
      solitude-project@..., or Andreea Grecu, Manager of Art Addict,
      at artaddict2005@..., or visit www.asso-theorem.com/news
      <http://www.asso-theorem.com/news.html> .

      Serbia & Montenegro:
      > Balkan Express stopped in Belgrade
      Balkan Express had its first 2005 meeting in Belgrade, on March 15-17,
      only few days before the IETM Plenary Meeting, under the organisation of
      the DAH Theatre Research Centre and in cooperation with with ECUMEST
      (Bucharest) and Bunker productions (Ljubljana). With a special focus
      this time on the role of the performing arts in regional development,
      the meeting gathered more than 70 participants from the Balkan region
      and other European countries. Opened by a panel discussion, the meeting
      facilitated the presentation of around 30 projects - examples of good
      practice namely around the art as a factor for development that led to
      lively and animated debates, as well as around mobility and networking
      as a tool for artistic development. A report of the meeting will be soon
      available on the page dedicated to Balkan Express on the IETM website
      HERE <http://www.ietm.org/projects/forums.asp?p_id=3> .

      > Contemporary dance scene fights for legitimacy
      The contemporary dance scene in Belgrade has been fighting for its
      existence for the past 10 years. During this period, individual efforts
      of dancers and choreographers have been made for making productions, for
      organising workshops and popularizing contemporary dance, without the
      involvement of public institutional structures and without benefiting
      from an appropriate working space or venue. A group of 40 dancers and
      choreographers has recently gathered in order to establish the "Station"
      - a structure dedicated to the development of contemporary dance,
      designed to take care of the distribution and exchange of information,
      education, co-productions, networking, local and international promotion
      of Serbian contemporary dance. The group will publicly address this
      issue and lobby the Belgrade City Assembly in order to get the needed
      financial support for the development of the "Station".
      For more information contact Dalija Acin, dancer & choreographer, at
      dalija_acin@....

      SEE: UK South East Forum: Cultural Industries in SEE (Plovdiv, Bulgaria)
      Organised in the framework of the UK South East Forum, the programme of
      UK-SEE cooperation of the British Council, this event brought together
      over 110 people from 12 cities and regions from SEE and UK - Tirana
      (Albania), Tuzla (Bosnia & Herzegovina), Plovdiv (Bulgaria), Split
      (Croatia), Pristina (Kosovo, UN Administration), Skopje (Macedonia),
      Iasi (Romania), Novi Sad and Podgorica (Serbia and Montenegro) and
      Wales, Cornwall and North East England from UK. Participants were
      creative professionals, representatives of creative businesses, city
      authorities and local government. The aim of the workshop was to
      strengthen the existing partnerships and to facilitate the elaboration
      of relevant and sustainable projects, as well as to stimulate the cities
      to work in a network, in order to exchange practices and experiences
      during the preparation and the project implementation processes. Among
      the outcomes of this seminar were the agreement on the need for an
      extensive mapping study in the region, the coherence in the applied
      methodologies, and the setup of sustainable partnerships. The practical
      result of these few days is at least one small scale pilot project which
      each city team will develop and prepare to implement in the next 12
      months.
      For more information www.uksee.net <http://www.uksee.net/index.php> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> Projects and Initiatives

      E-761 OPEN HIGHWAY: Arts and Culture Networking Programme in Serbia
      E-761 OPEN HIGHWAY is a three-year programme designed to support
      innovative contemporary art and culture production and networking within
      four municipalities of central Serbia: Uzice, Pozega, Cacak and
      Kraljevo. Implemented since January 2005 by a network of eight local
      non-governmental organisations, under the coordination of the Academica
      Alternative Association Uzice (also initiator of one of the Policies for
      Culture action projects
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/project_home.php?id=32> in the
      region), E-761 Open Highway is supported by the Swiss Cultural Programme
      Serbia and Montenegro. The mission of the programme is to establish
      partnerships among the public institutions, private sector, citizens'
      organisations, individual artists and authors, professionals in arts and
      culture of the four cities involved, with the aim to improve cultural
      environment through building local capacities in the contemporary art
      production and presentation focused on the innovative and socially
      engaged forms. In the next three years, the partners of the programme
      will also work on building a platform for planning and implementation of
      specific strategies designed to foster cross-municipal cultural
      development in the area and SEE cultural cooperation as well. One of the
      initial activities of the E-761 Open Highway is the public call open
      until April 20, 2005 to the local institutions, organisations, artists
      and authors. E-761 Highway connecting Kraljevo and Uzice via Cacak and
      Pozega is open to all interested individuals and organisations -
      participants in arts and culture production in central Serbia. Moreover,
      it is open with the ambition to become a wide road for the arts and
      culture in this four cities aware of the cultural diversities on the way
      of joining the European future.
      For more information contact Aleksandar Djeric, Director of the
      Academica Alternative Association Uzice, at artnet@..., or visit the
      E-761 OPEN HIGHWAY webpage <http://www.academica.org.yu/e761/> .

      STEP within South East Europe: the experiences of the STEP beyond
      mobility fund in facilitating mobility to/from/within the region
      A first evaluation of the use of the STEP beyond mobility fund for
      cooperation initiatives with or within South East Europe has been given
      by Lieke Schuitmaker, ECF programme officer, at the recent meeting of
      the Balkan Express network (Belgrade, 15-17 March 2005). In its two
      years of existence, STEP beyond noticed a lot of attention for travel to
      and from the Balkan region. Especially the performing arts scene
      (theatre and dance) has been very active in traveling and making
      connections, but also other art scenes such as the field of new media
      art featured amongst the grantees of STEP beyond. In the region,
      Bulgaria, Romania and Macedonia sent off the most travelers to other
      countries funded through STEP beyond, while Serbia & Montenegro, Bosnia
      & Herzegovina and Macedonia received the most travelers. Looking at some
      more statistics, it can be concluded that especially travel between the
      Balkans and the EU was a very popular activity. In 2003 and 2004,
      approximately 25% of all applications were made for a travel from an EU
      country (including the new member states) to the Balkan region, while
      approx. 25% applicants handed in an application for a travel grant from
      the Balkan countries to the EU. On the other hand, travels within the
      Balkan region were far less frequent: in 2003 only 5% applied for a
      travel from one Balkan country to another, and in 2004 this number
      increased to a modest 15%. The conclusions are that, as it results from
      the experiences of STEP beyond, there are many ties and interest between
      the Balkan region and the European Union, and especially Serbia &
      Montenegro, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, the Netherlands, the United
      Kingdom and France provide a considerable number of travelers. Exchange
      between the Balkan countries is, however, far less frequent.
      For more information write to Lieke Schuitmaker, Programme Officer -
      European Cultural Foundation, at lschuitmaker@..., or visit the
      Grants section at www.eurocult.org <http://www.eurocult.org/> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> Upcoming Events

      April 15-17, 2005: Second European Cultural Forum (Luxembourg)
      Under the patronage of the Luxembourg Presidency of the Council of the
      European Union, the Pierre Werner Institute (Luxembourg) will organise
      the Second European Cultural Forum on April 15-17, 2005. The guiding
      theme will be "Rediscovering Europe". The roundtables will be dedicated
      to topics such as: European identities and European consciousness; the
      enlarged Europe - opportunities and risks; the ideas and statements of
      the Berlin Conference for European Cultural Policy; Europe seen by the
      artists; East-West - Cultural Networks; Europe seen from outside. The
      meeting will gather politicians, experts, cultural managers and artists
      from throughout Europe, the SEE countries being strongly represented,
      among others, by Biserka Cvjeticanin, Director of the Culturelink
      Network (Zagreb), Dessislava Gavrilova, Director of the Red House Center
      for Culture and Debate (Sofia), and Corina Suteu, independent expert &
      President of the ECUMEST Association (Bucharest).
      For more information visit the website of the Pierre Werner Institute at
      www.ipw.lu <http://www.ipw.lu/> .

      May 6-8, 2005: International Forum on Turkey-Europe Cultural Relations
      (Istanbul, Turkey)
      The European Cultural Association is organising the "International Forum
      on Turkey-Europe Cultural Relations" in collaboration with the History
      Foundation of Turkey, Austrian Cultural Forum, British Council, French
      Cultural Institute, Goethe Institute and the General Consulate of the
      Netherlands in Istanbul. The Forum will take place from 6 to 8 May,
      2005, in the historical Imperial Mint complex (History Foundation of
      Turkey) within the Topkapi Palace. The objective of this event is to
      raise awareness on the important role played by culture in the Turkey-EU
      relations, in order to influence decision makers to take concrete
      measures on increasing cooperation and exchange projects. This
      international forum, which consists of a conference, panel discussions,
      artistic events and receptions also aims to facilitate networking,
      aiming to represent an open platform for cultural stakeholders from
      Europe and the Mediterranean region.
      For more information visit www.europist.net
      <http://www.europist.net/conference_en/> .

      June 24-25, 2005: The first meeting of the Banlieues d'Europ'Est
      (Bucharest, Romania)
      Banlieues d'Europe'Est will organise its first meeting in order to
      establish the first elements of a discourse on the
      alternative/peripheric art and culture in South East Europe, and to
      promote cooperation and exchanges between cultural centres installed in
      the peripheric areas of cities or traditional artistic circuits in the
      region. The encounter is aimed at examining the approaches and
      constraints inherent to this double marginalisation (geographic and
      artistic), as well as the innovating capacities existent in these
      centres.
      For more information contact Silvia Cazacu, network coordinator, at
      silviacazacu@..., or visit www.banlieues-europe.com
      <http://www.banlieues-europe.com/> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> Opportunities

      CPEG - Cultural Policy Education Group launches Mobility Scheme
      The Cultural Policy Education Group, initiated by the European Cultural
      Foundation and developed with the participation of Corina Suteu as
      coordinating expert, has recently launched a Mobility Scheme for guest
      lecturing, curriculum development and fact-finding missions in the field
      of cultural policy teaching. Who can apply: the Mobility Scheme
      addresses academic institutions which have long-term interest and
      potential in cultural policy education. Geographical reach: Central &
      Eastern Europe and its neighboring areas. There is no deadline, but
      applications will be evaluated on the 'first come first served' basis.
      For more information and the application forms visit the CPEG webpage
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/cpeg/news.php?id=22> , or contact
      Milena Deleva, CPEG coordinator, at mdeleva@....

      Managing Cultural Transitions in Southeastern Europe Course - Impact of
      Creative Industries & Cultural Cooperation in Southeastern Europe
      Conference (Dubrovnik, Croatia)
      Application deadline: 20 April 2005
      The fifth in the series of courses organised by the Department of
      Culture and Communication of the Institute for International Relations
      (IMO), Zagreb will take place from 8-14 May 2005. The courses have been
      held at the Inter University Centre (IUC) in Dubrovnik continuously from
      the year 2000. This year the organisers have decided to merge two
      classical forms of work: conference and postgraduate course. The
      intention is to get prominent and expert speakers interested in regional
      developments and to stimulate discussion on the issues pertinent for
      regional cultural development by involving young interested students as
      much as possible. The course will focus on the impact of creative
      industries in the region of SEE. Its objectives are: to provide an
      analytical insight into theoretical and conceptual issues of cultural
      transitions, to examine cultural policies in the context of cultural
      transitions and the EU integration, and to examine the cultural
      economics and cultural communication in the area of SEE. A special
      stress shall be given to analytical insight into practical and
      conceptual issues of contemporary cultural cooperation in Southeastern
      Europe. To apply send a short CV and a letter of motivation to the
      contacts below.
      For more information contact Jaka Primorac at jaka@... or visit
      www.culturelink.hr <http://www.culturelink.hr/conf/cultid07/index.html>
      .

      Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University (AMSU)
      Application deadline: 1 July 2005
      The programme proposes a variety of summer courses in the field of
      cultural management and international cooperation among which:
      Innovative Strategies in International Cultural Cooperation (23-25
      August); International Production Management (28-31 August); Development
      and Management of Autonomous Creative Spaces in Europe (16-20 August). A
      limited number of scholarships are available for students from most
      Central and Eastern European countries and Turkey and are financially
      supported by the Social Transformation Programme Central and Eastern
      Europe (MATRA) of the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
      For more information and the application forms contact office@...
      or visit www.amsu.edu <http://www.amsu.edu/> .

      Reminder: Cultural Policy Research Award 2005
      Application deadline: 5 May 2005
      The main aim of the Cultural Policy Research Award (CPR Award) is to
      stimulate academic research in the field of cultural policy, with an
      emphasis on the usefulness of the research in terms of practical
      application. The research should throw light on contemporary European
      cultural issues and problems, possibly analyzing them and working
      towards new policy solutions. The overall area covered by the award is
      'applied comparative cultural policy research'. Preference will be given
      to proposed research which covers a topical issue affecting contemporary
      Europe and which considers the possible remodelling of cultural systems,
      cultural institutions and cultural policy education. The winner of the
      CPR Award 2005 will be announced at the European Foundation Centre's
      16th Annual General Assembly (AGA) and Conference 'Foundations for
      Europe: Making the Union Work for All Citizens', Budapest, Hungary, June
      4-6, 2005.
      For more information contact Svetlana Jovicic, CPR Award manager at
      cpraward@... or visit www.cpraward.org
      <http://www.cpraward.org/> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/backTOtop.gif>

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/bullet.gif> Publications & Information Resources

      Mapping opportunities for cultural cooperation - A short guide to the
      Romanian sector today
      February 2005. This guide was realised by the ECUMEST Association in the
      framework of the ARCult programme, at the commissioning of the Royal
      Netherlands Embassy in Bucharest, and was published with the support of
      the Romanian Cultural Institute. Being a practical instrument aimed at
      encouraging and promoting a long term cultural cooperation with Romania,
      the publication was conceived as an introductory guide to the current
      context of the Romanian cultural sector and its different artistic
      sub-sectors, with a focus on those organisations that have an interest,
      abilities or a track record in international cooperation. It is an
      informative review, aiming to give a general and coherent overview which
      would fill the lack of centralised, coordinated and updated information
      about the different artistic areas and their key actors. The guide is
      being distributed free of charge.
      For more information contact the ECUMEST Association at
      ecumest@....

      Discussions and information lists focusing on SEE
      Starting with this issue we will regularly dedicate space to presenting
      the various discussion lists which provide information on issues
      connected to South East Europe.
      > Balkans: Balkan Academic News - BAN is a distribution list
      encompassing over 2500 scholars, activists, government officials,
      students and others from or interested in Southeastern Europe. BAN is
      intended to serve as a network for the exchange of academic information
      on the Balkans. The list is strictly moderated and lays emphasis on
      reliable academic news on and from Southeastern Europe. Visit the main
      page of the group at www.seep.ceu.hu/balkans
      balkancities-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
      > Balkan Cities: This moderated list was recently launched in order to
      promote exchange on the theme of Balkan cities. Currently it has 491
      members. To subscribe send and email to
      balkancities-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      New website of the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs of Romania
      March 2005. The Romanian Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs has
      recently launched its new website. In its English webpage,
      www.cultura.ro <http://www.cultura.ro/> provides news and general
      information regarding the strategy, priorities and current activities
      developed by the ministry.
      Visit this website at www.cultura.ro
      <http://www.cultura.ro/english/index.aspx> .

      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/administration/ep/templates/bulletin/
      images/PFCdown.gif>
      Subscribe/unsubscribe
      If you wish to subscribe or to cancel your subscription to policies for
      culture e-bulletin use the online subscription tool available at
      <mailto:info@...> www.policiesforculture.org
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/> .

      Contribute
      We highly encourage the Policies for Culture network to keep us updated
      with current news and developments in South East Europe; please send us
      all your news and announcements at info@...
      <mailto:ecumest@...> .

      Editorial note
      policies for culture e-bulletin is an electronic publication distributed
      every month in the framework of the Policies for Culture programme. It
      contains programme news, information about upcoming events, existing
      opportunities, publications and other relevant information in the field
      of cultural policy-making for cultural organisations and policy makers
      in South East Europe. Information for the e-bulletin is collected,
      edited and distributed by the ECUMEST Association in Bucharest under the
      coordination of Stefania Ferchedau.
      We always strive to include the most up-to-date information that is
      available to us. However, we cannot be held responsible for information,
      which is outdate or incorrect at the time of publishing.
      Past issues of the bulletin are available at here
      <http://www.policiesforculture.org/periodicals.php> .

      (c) policies for culture (framework programme of the ECUMEST
      Association, Bucharest and the European Cultural Foundation, Amsterdam)
      www.policiesforculture.org <http://www.policiesforculture.org/>