Fw: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS OF NET ART WORKS - BREAK_21/2002

  • Desk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2002
      Break 21
      6th International Festival of Emerging Artists

      May 19th - 24th, 2002
      Ljubljana, Slovenia

      http://www.break21.com
      break21@...
      Tel.: + 386 (0)1 438 03 00

      Organiser
      K6/4, Kersnikova 6, Ljubljana, Slovenia

      THEME

      "Dead or Alive"

      "Dead or Alive" implicates the urge, which tends to satisfy something at
      all costs, taking no regard whether it demands the life to be taken. It
      is assumed, that it represents something, for which, imperatively, it is
      greater than life or death. In the tendency to give up life as the
      highest value, the sacrifice is implicated or some urgent denunciation
      in the economy of one's own life, which we could call a particular
      death, for the sole purpose - to accomplish something.

      In the title, the initial question appears. It questions death and life;
      it demands an answer to the question about definitions, what is actually
      dead and what is alive. To what extent something is dead, though only
      inert; to what extent something is alive, though tends to be prolonged
      with the help of machines; how to understand organic material in the
      cryobanks and how biotechnical mechanisms/organisms? Are the cyber space
      and avatars with artificial intelligence, which are present in the
      Hollywood apparatus of the imaginary or the top cyber laboratories, our
      or the parallel world? Bionics and eugenics establish new paradigms of
      life and death as much as nanomechanics and intelligent neuronic nets.
      Artificial life is the oxymoron, which penetrates the core of our theme.

      Questions, posed to us by high technology, are still utterly legitimate
      in traditional sense, since we understand them through the perspective
      of modern age. Intermingling of everyday violence, which we encounter in
      the streets, car accidents, murders, suicides, diseases, wars and
      catastrophes on higher scales are balancing with births, rebirths,
      changes of identity and initiations, creations of new life situations
      and cosmic phenomena. Religious repertoires and great ideologies are all
      built upon dichotomy of life and death. They tend to be valid within the
      scale of the universal, while moments of ecstasy during meditation or
      sex, pain and dreams are utterly intimate and identical to themselves.
      Mental deviations, such as insanity, psychosis, neurosis, obsessions,
      paranoia and hysteric states were interpreted as a kind of intermediary
      state between life and death in primitive cultures, while in modern
      societies, the border between the healthy as an attribute of life and
      the ill as an attribute of death is being obliterated.

      Life and death are great themes of art and a lot has been said about
      them, however, some things can't be talked about too many times. Our
      intention is for artists to deal with them innovatively, through the
      perspective of new art and research artistic practice, which owns a
      tactical value that points more at the poetics of life than poetics,
      which is already known from traditional aesthetic paradigms. Forms of
      expression may not be products and aesthetic artefacts but rather
      processes, states, situations ... that comprise the dimension of time -
      transition.

      CUSTODIANS
      Suncica Ostoic, Chief Custodian, sunce@...
      Olga Majcen, Chief Custodian, olga.majcen@...

      SELECTOR/ADVISOR for net art: Jaka Zeleznikar, jaka@...

      the URL works should be reported at the web site
      http://www.jaka.org/break/

      Deadline: March 1st 2002
      Notification of acceptance: March 15th 2002

      Additional information (TRAVEL EXPENSES AND ACCOMMODATION and call for
      other FIELDS - Theory, visual arts, performative arts, intermedia arts,
      mobile pictures, music and sound, architecture, applied arts, culinary
      arts) can be found at festival's homepage:
      http://www.break21.com

      -->
      arhiva: http://amsterdam.nettime.org/