Re: HP bus error and Re: compiling via cc, not gcc

  • Hans-Bernhard Broeker
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 21, 2000
      On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Petr Mikulik wrote:

      > I think that (*t->pointsize) is actually calling the
      > pointsize routine with the parameter undefined,

      Maybe, yes. If this happens in the normal situation, where t->pointsize is
      a non-NULL pointer, then that might indeed be the effect of dereferencing
      the function pointer. I didn't find any definition of what is supposed to
      happen in such a case, in my C references, which may mean this is causing
      the dreaded 'undefined behaviour'.

      > while (t->pointsize) is a test to non-null pointer, right?

      That's what it's supposed to do, yes. Similar tests do it that way, all
      over gnuplot.

      > Thus HP cc has found nothing on the stack
      > and crashed. Should I commit this patch to source forge?

      By all means: yes. I'll do it for the 'axis' branch myself, leaving 3.7.1,
      trunk and pm3d for you ...

      Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@...-aachen.de)

    • Petr Mikulik
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 10, 2000
        >> There won't be any other change except for the colour (i.e., linetype)
        >> increment. The "inclt" option would be intended for simplifying data
        >> previewing, not for publication purposes.
        >
        >That's fine -- but what do you want gnuplot to _do_? Will the inclt option
        >turn off all other options? Or will the same value be used for all plots?
        >Will the key automatically be turned off?
        >
        >Inquiring minds want to know . . .

        I want that gnuplot changes colour (=linetype) for each scan. So
        plot "a.dat" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) inclt
        would be equivalent to
        plot "a.dat" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::0, \
        "" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::1 notitle, \
        "" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::2 notitle, \
        "" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::3 notitle, \
        "" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::4 notitle, \
        "" using 1:($3/$5*1e5) every :9999::5 notitle

        ---
        Petr Mikulik, mikulik@...