Problems with Gnuplot 3.8c beta version under RedHat 6.1

  • Lukas Richterek
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      Dear GNUplot users,

      allow me to trouble You about the following problem. I have installed the
      beta version of GNUplot from

      ftp://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/pub/gnuplot/

      While under my RedHat 5.2 experimental features "pm3d" and work without
      any problem, under newer RedHat 6.1 there are some problems, even though
      there were no error messages during the compilation.

      1. Gnuplot starts O.K.:

      G N U P L O T
      Version 3.8c patchlevel pm3d 6
      last modified Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:24:46 +0200
      System: Linux 2.2.12-20

      and it accepts all new setting commands such as "set pm3d", "set mouse",
      "set palette". Generated eps-files really have colored surfaces. But those
      commands does not effect the x11 terminal, where only "mesh" is drawn (no
      color filling) and mouse enhancement does not work at all.

      2. The only error message I got while running GNUplot is the following:

      "mouse.c:1653 protocol error"

      when I tried the mouse enhancement.

      Could anybody kindly help me? I am really obliged for any suggestions and
      hints!

      Sincerely

      Lukas Richterek

      Department of Theoretical Physics | tel.:+420-68-5222451, ext. 372
      Fac. Nat. Sciences, | fax :+420-68-5225737
      Palacky University | e-mail: richter@...
      Svobody 26, Olomouc, CZ-771 46 |
      C z e c h R e p u b l i c | /|||\
      http://aix.upol.cz/~richter/index.html ( o|o )
    • Hans-Bernhard Broeker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
        On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Lukas Richterek wrote:

        > "set palette". Generated eps-files really have colored surfaces. But those
        > commands does not effect the x11 terminal, where only "mesh" is drawn (no
        > color filling) and mouse enhancement does not work at all.

        If I'm not totally mistaken, this means you're using the wrong version
        of gnuplot_x11 with your new gnuplot. This usually happens if you do
        not "make install", and/or there is some older version of gnuplot
        installed with your Linux distribution.

        Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@...-aachen.de)

      • Johannes Zellner
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
          On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 09:21:39AM +0200, Lukas Richterek wrote:
          > Dear GNUplot users,
          >
          > allow me to trouble You about the following problem. I have installed the
          > beta version of GNUplot from
          >
          > ftp://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/pub/gnuplot/
          >
          > While under my RedHat 5.2 experimental features "pm3d" and work without
          > any problem, under newer RedHat 6.1 there are some problems, even though
          > there were no error messages during the compilation.
          >
          > 1. Gnuplot starts O.K.:
          >
          > G N U P L O T
          > Version 3.8c patchlevel pm3d 6
          > last modified Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:24:46 +0200
          > System: Linux 2.2.12-20
          >
          > and it accepts all new setting commands such as "set pm3d", "set mouse",
          > "set palette". Generated eps-files really have colored surfaces. But those
          > commands does not effect the x11 terminal, where only "mesh" is drawn (no
          > color filling) and mouse enhancement does not work at all.
          >
          > 2. The only error message I got while running GNUplot is the following:
          >
          > "mouse.c:1653 protocol error"
          >
          > when I tried the mouse enhancement.
          >
          > Could anybody kindly help me? I am really obliged for any suggestions and
          > hints!

          easy. The x11 driver is a separate program called gnuplot_x11.
          The main gnuplot finds an old version of this driver. Try
          which gnuplot_x11. You've to make sure the new version is found
          before existing versions. If you want to keep different versions
          you can rename the x11 driver either with a switch at compile time
          or with the command
          gnuplot> set term x11 driver '/home/lukas/bin/new_gnuplot_x11'
          where you first moved the new x11 driver to ~/bin/new_gnuplot_x11.

          See help x11.

          --
          Johannes