Mikovits/Cheney interview notes 2/20/10

  • Paula Carnes
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
      This is my quick summary of the interview today between Cheney and Mikovits. Please feel free to add to or correct any errors.  Paula Carnes

      Treatment idea for XMRV
      Peptide T may be a useful treatment for XMRV. It interacts with the monocyte in retroviral diseases. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peptide_T

      What bout UK and German negative results and VIP negatives?
      There is very low level of XMRV in blood. Researchers must use all techniques. PCR is ineffective. Culture also if low level in blood. We don't know where the reservoir of the virus is.
      Gow et al in the UK found XMRV at 4,6 in healthy population yet found none in cfs patients. Mikovits said they used a different reagent and did not ask WPI what reagent to use.

      What to do if you tested negative at VIP or want to be tested? Go to the WPI website and sign up to be in their study. They are notifying all who have signed up about upcoming studies. They hope to have all of these patients notified in the next week.

      Does XMRV enter the brain, and what specific area?
      It probably enters microglia cells which take it to the brain. It certainly could affect the autonomic nervous system. We do not know what particular area of the brain is affected.

      How XMRV transmitted?
      Certainly use HIV universal precautions - sexual protection, never share razors or toothbrushes. Perhaps be careful about sharing glasses, exchange of saliva. We don't know.

      Many cfs patients have elevated RNaseL. Would this suggest XMRV?
      Yes, elevated NNaseL is a sign of an active viral infection.
      NK cell function would be elevated and/or defective. NK cells clear viruses and tumor cells.
      CD4 to CD8 ratio is abnormal? Mikovits said, "We are not seeing this."

      Would there be activation of herpes viruses - EBV, CMV, HHV6?
      Yes, because XMRV and HIV cause immune deficiency. WE WOULD ALSO SEE THIS EFFECT IN CHRONIC LYME CASES.

      Would XMRV cause neurological problems - disturbance of the vestibular system?
      Yes, there would be myopathy, can't walk. This would be coming from the neurotoxicity of the XMRV infection. (I am not sure I got all of this)

      Immune system changes would involved elevated cytokines and TGF beta.

      Were the cfs outbreak clusters driven by a retrovirus?
      We certainly think so and are investigating this.

      Cheney discussed briefly the expectation of recovery saying that age was the key factor. People over 40 were least likely to recover.and if the patient had been sick for longer than 5 years. Severity of the illness was not an issue. You could be very sick and still recover. Degree of stress makes it much worse because of the cortisol response. Mikovits concurred on this. Cortisol feeds the virus. [Not sure that is the way she put it, but you get the point.]

      A male patient, monolike onset at age 25, years later developed testicular cancer and a heart rhythm disturbance. Could these all be related to XMRV.
      Yes.

      Cheney mentioned last that heart symptoms are from right ventricular strain and diastolic dysfunction found in 97% of cfs cases. You know you have this when you cannot mall shop and heat and standing cause energy problems. [I would describe that as feeling like you are about to pass out on the ground.] This is coming from energy problems at a cellular level.
      Again, Mikovits suggested that XMRV could cause this.

      Paula Carnes
      Las Vegas, NV

    • Garcia
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
        Paula,
        that's a fantastic summary! Can you possibly upload it to the Pheonix Rising site too (if you haven't done so already)? I'm sure people will love to read it.

        Also I've uploaded the audio here:

        http://www.divshare.com/download/10538222-efe

        many thanks,
        garcia.

        --- In infection-cortisol@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Carnes" <pj7@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > issue. You could be very sick and still recover. Degree of stress makes it
        > much worse because of the cortisol response. Mikovits concurred on this.
        > Cortisol feeds the virus. [Not sure that is the way she put it, but you get
        > the point.]
        >
        > A male patient, monolike onset at age 25, years later developed testicular
        > cancer and a heart rhythm disturbance. Could these all be related to XMRV.
        > Yes.
        >
        > Cheney mentioned last that heart symptoms are from right ventricular strain
        > and diastolic dysfunction found in 97% of cfs cases. You know you have this
        > when you cannot mall shop and heat and standing cause energy problems. [I
        > would describe that as feeling like you are about to pass out on the
        > ground.] This is coming from energy problems at a cellular level.
        > Again, Mikovits suggested that XMRV could cause this.

      • Paula Carnes
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
          T hanks, Garcia. I just sent a copy directly to Cort Johnson. He probably has written his own summary and is welcome to add mine to the mix. I tend to dumb things down while he is brilliant, so perhaps a good mix.

          Paula

          Paula,
          that's a fantastic summary! Can you possibly upload it to the Pheonix Rising site too (if you haven't done so already)? I'm sure people will love to read it.

          Also I've uploaded the audio here:

          http://www.divshare .com/download/ 10538222- efe

          many thanks,
          garcia.

          --- In infection-cortisol@ yahoogroups. com, "Paula Carnes" <pj7@...> wrote:

          > This is my quick summary of the interview today between
          Cheney and Mikovits.
          > Please feel free to add to or correct any errors.
          Paula Carnes

          > Treatment idea for XMRV
          > Peptide T may be a
          useful treatment for XMRV. It interacts with the monocyte
          > in retroviral
          diseases. http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Peptide_T

          > What
          bout UK and German negative results and VIP negatives?
          > There is very low
          level of XMRV in blood. Researchers must use all
          > techniques. PCR is
          ineffective. Culture also if low level in blood. We don't
          > know where the
          reservoir of the virus is.
          > Gow et al in the UK found XMRV at 4,6 in
          healthy population yet found none
          > in cfs patients. Mikovits said they
          used a different reagent and did not ask
          > WPI what reagent to use.
          >
          > What to do if you tested negative at VIP or want to be tested?
          Go to the WPI
          > website and sign up to be in their study. They are
          notifying all who have
          > signed up about upcoming studies. They hope to
          have all of these patients
          > notified in the next week.

          Does XMRV enter the brain, and what specific area?
          > It probably enters
          microglia cells which take it to the brain. It certainly
          > could affect
          the autonomic nervous system. We do not know what particular
          > area of the
          brain is affected.