[ineb] HHDL on more active Parliament

  • Santikaro Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 1999
      A little SEB from HHDL?
      ______________________________

      Dalai Lama says prayer alone won't bring world peace.

      CAPE TOWN, Dec 8,1999 (AFP) -

      The Dalai Lama on Wednesday challenged the world's spiritual and
      religious leaders to stop relying on just prayer and
      meditation to bring about world peace but rather to become involved in
      programmes of action.

      "Change only takes place through action, not through meditation and
      prayer," the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader said in closing
      the eight-day Parliament of the World's Religions here.

      The parliament, organized by the Chicago-based Interfaith International
      Board, drew some 7,000 delegates from 70 countries,
      representing virtually every religious faith on the planet.

      The Dalai Lama, one of the prime movers behind the gathering, urged that
      future parliaments be more than mere talk-shops.

      "Where there are areas of conflict, particularly areas of conflict of
      religions, some people (from the parliament) should go there
      and study and try to make a contribution," the Buddhist monk said. "Then
      one of our wishes will be fulfilled."

      At a press conference on Tuesday, the Dalai Lama, who is on a week-long
      visit to South Africa, mentioned Bosnia and
      Kosovo as areas where members of the parliament could play a role.

      He called in his closing address for religious tolerance and "genuine
      respect for other traditions."

      "We need to ask, 'How can I make a contribution (to world peace)?', not
      'How can I further my own religion?'" he said.

      The world is entering a new millennium which, he said, was "nothing
      special." Day and night, sun and moon will happen
      anyway," he said. "But if particularly the young people make good
      preparation for the new millennium, it will become more
      peaceful, more friendly."

      In his speech entitled "Taking the Parliament Home", the Dalai Lama
      urged devotees, no matter what their faith, to "make a
      good contribution to the betterment of society." To do this, he said,
      devotees must develop a sense of caring for their fellow
      humans.

      "If I can achieve this, I can serve others more effectively," he said.
      The closing ceremony was marked by song and dance, as
      well as prayers by the religious leaders, most of them dressed in
      colorful robes.

      Among the groups represented at the parliament were African religions,
      Bahais, Buddhists, Christians, Confucianists, Hippies,
      Jains, Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Native Americans, New Agers, Sikhs,
      Taoists, Unitarians and Zoroastrians.

      Organisers said the intention of the parliament was not to create a new
      religion but to discover the unity within the diversity of
      the various religions.

      A wide array of subjects, including the history and traditions of the
      main religions and explorations of critical problems facing
      modern society, have been addressed during the gathering, which opened
      Wednesday last week.

      The first Parliament of the World's Religions was held in Chicago in
      1893, the second in the same city a century later, at which
      it was decided to hold the gathering in a different city every five
      years, starting in Cape Town in 1999.

      The next parliament will be held in 2004 at a city still to be decided.
      --------------------------
      Be cool ;-)

      Dhamma * Metta * Santi
      Santikaro Bhikkhu