Petition to Thai government for H.H. the Dalai Lama to visit Thailand

  • INEB office
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2009

      Dear friends of INEB,

      As you are well aware, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, the leader of Vajrayana Buddhism of Tibet , is one of the world renowned religious leaders who gains respect from international community for his wisdom and compassion to all sentient beings without discrimination.

      As large Thai population is Buddhist with His Majesty the King as the great patron of Buddhism, it is a shame for Royal Thai Government that does not allow the visit of the Dalai Lama, who is the great Buddhist master. Even non-Buddhist countries gave the highest honor to him. He is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize from Norway (1989), the Honorary Citizenship of Canada (2006), and the Congressional Gold Medal from USA (2007), etc. Moreover, he has been warmly welcome worldwide.

      Before the Thai government recognized the People’s Republic of China , the Dalai Lama visited Siam twice and met H.M. the King. He is a friend with the present Supreme Patriarch of Thailand. In his third visit, which was made possible by the advice of H.M. the King to the Thai government, the Dalai Lama was accommodated in the same temple where his “spiritual brother”, the Supreme Patriarch stayed.

      The Government of China, in response to the last visit of the Dalai Lama, protested the Thai government in many ways. However after his visit, the Chinese government did not disturb the good relationship with Thai government further. The Chinese government acts similarly to other governments worldwide who welcome the Dalai Lama.

      International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB) aims at the applying Buddhist teachings to serve the humanity. We have many members worldwide. As INEB has been in existence for two decades, it is the right time to invite the Dalai Lama to Thailand in early December to join our Anniversary event, which is the gathering of Buddhist monks, nuns, grassroots leaders, academic and social workers, and not a political activity.

      We are seeking help from INEB friends and the Buddhists worldwide. If you share our vision that His Holiness the Dalai Lama should be part of the 20th Anniversary of International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB) in Thailand, please write to our Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Kasit Piromya (E-mail: kasitpiromya@..., and send a copy to us at ineboffice@...) to encourage him to approve an entry visa for the Dalai Lama. If your letter arrives at his office before 31 March 2009, it would be helpful for the invitation process.

      If the Dalai Lama can visit Thailand , it would be the great honour for the Royal Thai Government as a democratic and dignified one which is not subject to Chinese hegemonic influence. It is clear that the visit of a great Buddhist master like the Dalai Lama would be a blessing to the Thai government, the country and the people in general, not only the Buddhists.

      Please accept my sincere thanks for your support to us and encouragement to our government.

      Yours respectfully,

      Ms. Lapapan Supamanta

      Executive Secretary

      (Note: I enclose example letter herewith, but you can write your own)

      #######
      International Network of Engaged Buddhists
      666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
      Bang Lamphu Lang,
      Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
      Ph.:+66 2 860 2194, mobile ph.:+66 89 150 8084
      fax:+66 2 437 7201

      e-mail :
      ineboffice@...

    • Jonathan Watts
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
        Hello All

        I am in Sri Lanka now and I happy to report the revitalization of INEB
        Sri Lanka. Have a look at their new homepage!
        http://www.inebsrilanka.org/

        with metta,

        Jon Watts
        INEB Executive Committee