The Foundations of Asian Contemplative Thought and Practice

  • Jhanananda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2005
      Dear friends, it is one of the efforts of the GWV to provide resources for
      the study of contemplative traditions. At present we are building our
      archives of Asian contemplative thought and practices. We have just
      finished updating the resources on the GWV webpage for the study of Asian
      contemplative thought and practice. And, we thought you might be interested
      in knowing about this valuable resource. You will find the page ³Early Vedic
      and Buddhist Literary Resources² at this URL:
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/pali/index.htm

      In the study of Christian theology it is very common to not only make a
      thorough study of the Gospels of Jesus, but also the foundational literature
      of Christian thought, which is found in the Bible of Judaism. The reason
      for this is the Bible is considered the foundational literature of Jesus¹
      teaching. In Islamic studies it is also common for an Imam to study the
      Gospels of Jesus as well as the Bible, as these literary sources are
      considered the foundations of Islamic thought.

      It has come to our attention at the GWV that remarkably few Buddhist
      teachers have read the Discourses of the Buddha. For a Buddhist priest or
      teacher to not be intimately familiar with the foundational literature of
      Buddhism is like a Christian priest or minister not having even read the
      Gospels of Jesus. Thus we at the GWV would like very much to make it
      possible for anyone to study the foundational literature of Buddhism. The
      GWV archive of early Buddhist Literature online is at this URL:
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/Pali/index.htm

      We would also like to point out that just as the Bible forms the foundations
      of both Christian and Islamic thought so do the Vedas form the foundations
      of Buddhist thought. Thus the GWV has begun to build an archive of Vedic
      literature as well. That archive is available at this URL:
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/index.htm

      In the GWV archive of Vedic literature you will find these resources:

      the GWV Vedic Language Resource Guide for the Study of the, Yoga Sutras,
      Vedic Language and Literature
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/Yoga-SutraSources.htm

      A Glossary of the language of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/yogaglos.html

      The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sanskrit-English Translation by BonGiovanni
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/BonGiovanniysutra.htm

      The Yoga Sutras of Patañjali, Sanskrit-English Translation & Glossary by
      Chip Hartranft
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/Hartranftysutra.pdf

      The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sanskrit-English Translation by Jhanananda
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/Jhananandaysutra.htm

      The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sanskrit-English Translation by Satchitananda
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/vedic/Satchitanandaysutra.htm

      Kindest regards

      Sotapanna Jhanananda (Jeffrey S. Brooks):

      the Great Western Vehicle
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/index.html