Calling for the Immediate and Just Response to the Murder of The Ven. Supoj Suvacano (The environmentalist monk in Thailand)

  • INEB office
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2005

      Press Release of Northern Development Monks Network Calling for the Immediate and Just Response to the Murder of Phra Supoj Suvacano

      On June 17, 2005 , Phra Supoj Suvacano (Duangprasert), aged 39, with 13 years in robes, was brutally murdered. Phra Supoj Suvacano resided at Mettadhamma Forest Sanctuary Dhamma Center in Ban Huay Ngunai, Tambol Sansai, Ampoe Fang, Chiang Mai Province in Northern Thailand . He was a member of the Sekhiyadhamma Group of development monks and involved in the conservation of more than 700 rai (280 acres) of forest. This land has been desired by a group of "local influential businessman" (local mafia) who have previously attempted to scare away the monks living there with threats of violence and murder. Further, in 2002, they have previously done bodily harm to one of the laymen helping to look after the Dhamma Center . Currently there are many pending cases in connection with this land.

      The Northern Development Monks Network believes that this case may be connected with local influential persons (mafia) and so fear that this case will drag on and never reach resolution, and that the victims will never receive justice in the process. Thus, we demand that the following parties carry out their responsibilities immediately:

      1.       The government must without delay find both the killer and the persons responsible for the murder of Phra Supoj Suvacano and see that they are punished according to the law.

      2.       The government must deal with local dark influences in order to insure the safety of conservation monks and villagers who are active in resisting the expansion of the large orange plantations that have been destroying the environment in Fang District ( Chiang Mai Province ) and other areas.

      3.       Buddhist organizations must work together to develop standards for protecting and supporting those monks who are properly carrying out their duties so that they will be safe from local criminal elements.

      4.       Environmental conservationists must take a stand to insure that the criminal investigation and prosecution proceed immediately, quickly, and justly; further, we must not allow the responsibility of local conservation efforts to fall upon any single monk in any one community but will gather our hearts and efforts both directly and indirectly to support and promote conservation efforts in all cases.

      5.       The mass media of all kinds must closely follow the progress of this case and regularly inform the public of the facts as they emerge.

      We hope with deepest sincerity that the violent death of Phra Supoj Suvacano (Duangprasert) will create the necessary awareness such that we all reach agreement on how to protect those monastics, civil servants, and citizens who struggle to protect our natural resources and create conditions for peace and justice in our society.

      In loving kindness,

      Phramahâ Boonchuay Sirindharo

      Executive Secretary of Northern Development Monks Network

      #######
      International Network of Engaged Buddhists
      666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
      Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
      Ph.: +66 2 860 2194
      fax: +66 2 860 1277