Demise of David Chappell

  • INEB office
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004

      Dear friends,

      I am so sad to inform you that David Chappell, member of the executive board of INEB and my best friend has just passed away. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Seed of Peace to him. I would appreciate it so much if you would kindly write something about him or his contribution to peace. If you could recommend some others also I would be grateful. I tried to be mindful and to meditate to send my merit to him.

       Sulak

      Dear INEB members,

      I feel sorry to forward a sad news to you. Few days ago we lost one of our beloved and supportive friend, David Chappell. He served as a member of Executive Board of INEB.

      David has been with us for a long time and was helpful in re-energizing our network. To my memory, he was a very active member of INEB, participating in many activities of us and giving me lots of ideas. He also involved in dialogues and cooperation among faiths. I am certain that we all remember his good heart and works, and share the sorrow with his family.

      Even though we are fortunate to have a lot of friends alive, may I take this opportunity to express my wish for all of you to please take good care of your health and spirit for the years to come.

      Yours,

      Anne

      Executive Secretary, INEB

      #######
      International Network of Engaged Buddhists
      666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
      Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
      Ph.: +66 2 860 2194
      fax: +66 2 860 1277
      mobile ph.: 09 150 8084
      e-mail : ineboffice@...

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • ARKAR THAINURAK
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004

        Dear INEB friends,

        We from the INEB[BURMA]chapter deeply sorry for the lost of our dhamma friend Mr.David Chappell.Also as a closed members of INEB executive,I am wiahing him for peace in nivana.

        Truly,

        Hkun Okker

        >From: INEB office <ineboffice@...>
        >To: ineb e-group <ineb@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Demise of David Chappell
        >Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:16:39 -0800 (PST)
        >

        >Dear friends,
        >
        >I am so sad to inform you that David Chappell, member of the executive board of INEB and my best friend has just passed away. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Seed of Peace to him. I would appreciate it so much if you would kindly write something about him or his contribution to peace. If you could recommend some others also I would be grateful. I tried to be mindful and to meditate to send my merit to him.
        >
        >  Sulak
        >
        >Dear INEB members,
        >
        >I feel sorry to forward a sad news to you. Few days ago we lost one of our beloved and supportive friend, David Chappell. He served as a member of Executive Board of INEB.
        >
        >David has been with us for a long time and was helpful in re-energizing our network. To my memory, he was a very active member of INEB, participating in many activities of us and giving me lots of ideas. He also involved in dialogues and cooperation among faiths. I am certain that we all remember his good heart and works, and share the sorrow with his family.
        >
        >Even though we are fortunate to have a lot of friends alive, may I take this opportunity to express my wish for all of you to please take good care of your health and spirit for the years to come.
        >
        >Yours,
        >
        >Anne
        >
        >Executive Secretary, INEB

        >#######
        >International Network of Engaged Buddhists
        >666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
        >Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
        >Ph.: +66 2 860 2194
        >fax: +66 2 860 1277
        >mobile ph.: 09 150 8084
        >e-mail : ineboffice@...

        >  Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
      • isrc
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
          Dear Friends,

          I was shocked and deeply saddened to learn this morning of the death of our friend and colleague David Chappell.

          I first met David many years ago at a meeting of the American Academy of  Religion held in Chicago.  I recall being immediately impressed by his warm and welcoming smile and cordial demeanor.  His commitment to interrelgious dialogue and understanding and his personal enthusiasm and sincerity made me feel that this was someone whom I would like to get to know better in the future.

          I met David again almost twenty years later in Hawaii.  The Institute for the Study of Religion and Culture at Payap University in Chiang Mai had just been started and I met him for breakfast and then later at his office.  We talked about the new Institute and the plans for it.  He was very supportive and enthusiastic and offered several helpful suggestions.

          In recent years I met David several times  both at meetings of the International Network of Engaged Buddhists in Bangkok and at the Tacoma meeting of the Society for Buddhist-Christian Studies.  At the Tacoma meeting he and Acharn Sulak suggested that the Institute host an international meeting of the Society.  That was the beginning and inspiration for the International Conference on "Religion and Globalization" that the Institute and Payap University hosted in July 2003.  David came to Chiang Mai for one of the early planning sessions for that conference, and as always his exuberance and enthusiasm was an inspiration and encouragement.

          I last saw David at the meeting of the Parliament of World Religions in Barcelona last summer.  I remember that on this occasion, as was the case every time we met, I felt really and truly glad to see him.  Meeting and talking with David always made me feel good and always helped to restore my faith in the potential goodness of humankind..

          I shall miss seeing him in the future, but I am grateful for having met him and known him.  I also deeply appreciate all that he contributed to interreligious understanding and cooperation and especially to the planning and support of  the Institute's conference on "Religion and Globalization".

          His life will always remind me of the ideal of the Christian Saint and the Buddhist Bodhisattva.

          Sincerely,

          John W. Butt, Director
          Institute for the Study of Religion and Culture
          Payap University--Crystal Spring Campus
          48/5 Huay Kaew Rd.
          T. Suthep, A. Muang
          Chiang Mai 50200, THAILAND

          Tel./Fax (66) (53) 217-271
                        (66) (53) 400-192
[...]

          International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)
          To Unsubscribe send email to:

        • isrc

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
              Dear INEB members,

              We are very sorry to know that our Dharma friend was pass away from us. I remember that, Mr. David Chappell was very active in the Peace and Reconciliation. I met him last time in Seoul, S Korea in 2003 during INEB conference.
              I am very deep respective to him, we call him a Peace maker.
              We are sharing the suffer with his family,

              ANATA !!!!!!

              Yours in Dharma and Peace

              Peou Vanna
              ANLWC

              We from the INEB[BURMA]chapter deeply sorry for the lost of our dhamma friend Mr.David Chappell.Also as a closed members of INEB executive,I am wiahing him for peace in nivana.

              Truly,

              Hkun Okker

              >From: INEB office <ineboffice@...>
              >To: ineb e-group <ineb@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Demise of David Chappell
              >Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:16:39 -0800 (PST)
              >

              >Dear friends,
              >
              >I am so sad to inform you that David Chappell, member of the executive board of INEB and my best friend has just passed away. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Seed of Peace to him. I would appreciate it so much if you would kindly write something about him or his contribution to peace. If you could recommend some others also I would be grateful. I tried to be mindful and to meditate to send my merit to him.
              >
              >  Sulak
              >
              >Dear INEB members,
              >
              >I feel sorry to forward a sad news to you. Few days ago we lost one of our beloved and supportive friend, David Chappell. He served as a member of Executive Board of INEB.
              >
              >David has been with us for a long time and was helpful in re-energizing our network. To my memory, he was a very active member of INEB, participating in many activities of us and giving me lots of ideas. He also involved in dialogues and cooperation among faiths. I am certain that we all remember his good heart and works, and share the sorrow with his family.
              >
              >Even though we are fortunate to have a lot of friends alive, may I take this opportunity to express my wish for all of you to please take good care of your health and spirit for the years to come.
              >
              >Yours,
              >
              >Anne
              >
              >Executive Secretary, INEB

              >#######
              >International Network of Engaged Buddhists
              >666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
              >Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
              >Ph.: +66 2 860 2194
              >fax: +66 2 860 1277
              >mobile ph.: 09 150 8084
              >e-mail : ineboffice@...

            • Ratha Vayagool
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004

                Dear INEB members,

                I am sad to hear that David Chappell, member of the Executive Board of INEB has just pass away.   I had met David Chappell at the Ariya Vinaya conference and also Suksit Siam Bookstore.  Meeting him feel that he is a very kind person and has alot of goodwill to others.

                Metta lovingkindness to David Chappell.

                Kind regards,

                Phra Ratha Mahaviriyo (Vayagool)
                Wat Mahathat
                Section 8
                Bangkok, Thailand
                tel:  07 -0621-834
                email:  vayagool@...

                INEB office <ineboffice@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Mangesh Dahiwale
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004

                  Dear INEB members,

                  We are sad to hear this news of demise of David Chappell and we are with his family in this hour of grief.

                  We also very much appreciate and rejoice in his meritorious work for spreading Buddhism and service to the people.

                  With Metta,
                  Mangesh Dahiwale
                  India

                  Anlwc <anlwc@...> wrote:
                  Dear INEB members,

                  We are very sorry to know that our Dharma friend was pass away from us. I remember that, Mr. David Chappell was very active in the Peace and Reconciliation. I met him last time in Seoul, S Korea in 2003 during INEB conference.
                  I am very deep respective to him, we call him a Peace maker.
                  We are sharing the suffer with his family,

                  ANATA !!!!!!

                  Yours in Dharma and Peace

                  Peou Vanna
                  ANLWC

                  We from the INEB[BURMA]chapter deeply sorry for the lost of our dhamma friend Mr.David Chappell.Also as a closed members of INEB executive,I am wiahing him for peace in nivana.

                  Truly,

                  Hkun Okker

                  >From: INEB office <ineboffice@...>
                  >To: ineb e-group <ineb@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: Demise of David Chappell
                  >Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:16:39 -0800 (PST)
                  >

                  >Dear friends,
                  >
                  >I am so sad to inform you that David Chappell, member of the executive board of INEB and my best friend has just passed away. I would like to dedicate the next issue of Seed of Peace to him. I would appreciate it so much if you would kindly write something about him or his contribution to peace. If you could recommend some others also I would be grateful. I tried to be mindful and to meditate to send my merit to him.
                  >
                  >  Sulak
                  >
                  >Dear INEB members,
                  >
                  >I feel sorry to forward a sad news to you. Few days ago we lost one of our beloved and supportive friend, David Chappell. He served as a member of Executive Board of INEB.
                  >
                  >David has been with us for a long time and was helpful in re-energizing our network. To my memory, he was a very active member of INEB, participating in many activities of us and giving me lots of ideas. He also involved in dialogues and cooperation among faiths. I am certain that we all remember his good heart and works, and share the sorrow with his family.
                  >
                  >Even though we are fortunate to have a lot of friends alive, may I take this opportunity to express my wish for all of you to please take good care of your health and spirit for the years to come.
                  >
                  >Yours,
                  >
                  >Anne
                  >
                  >Executive Secretary, INEB

                  >#######
                  >International Network of Engaged Buddhists
                  >666 Charoen Nakorn Road,
                  >Klongsan, Bangkok 10600 THAILAND
                  >Ph.: +66 2 860 2194
                  >fax: +66 2 860 1277
                  >mobile ph.: 09 150 8084
                  >e-mail : ineboffice@...

                  International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)
                  To Unsubscribe send email to:

                • Dolma Tsering
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
                    Dear INEB members,

                    I am very sorry to hear that Mr. David Chappell is no longer amongst us. I
                    have deep respect for him for his active participation in peace and
                    inter-religious understanding and cooperation. He had been such an
                    inspiration for all of us. Let us all join together to pray for his safe and
                    easy transition into next life. My deep condolence is with his family.

                    Sincerely,

                    Ven. Lobsang Dechen
                    Executive Board member, INEB