Sonam Released on Parole, ...........

  • bvgftr2
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      --- In bjft@yahoogroups.com, "Copper" <copper@s...> wrote:
      This is good news! Posted on another forum.

      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:54:37 -0500
      Fwd:Sonam has been released on parole

      We have just received good news than Ani Sonam has been released on
      parole.
      We are waiting to get more details. Sonam's case was the subject of a
      January 27 Washington Post article that was picked up for syndication
      in
      many papers. Grace Spring has been a power house on her behalf and
      deserves
      all the credit for bringing Sonam's plight to a national audience.

      Sonam is a nun who fled Tibet through Nepal and, with false
      documents, made
      her way to the United States where she was detained and jailed in a
      facility
      outside of Richmond, Virginia. Based on the merits of her case, a
      federal
      immigration judge granted her asylum, but a lawyer for the Department
      of
      Homeland Security appealed the decision.

      The final disposition of her case is pending, but lots of public and
      congressional interest has been a tremendous help getting to this
      stage.
      We'll post more details as they become available.

      Best,
      Lisa
      Lisa Sock, Campaigns Coordinator
      International Campaign for Tibet