Buddhist AIDS Project -- Update: January, 2004

  • Steve Peskind
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2004
      January 19. 2004

      Dear Friends,

      Happiest New Year from the Buddhist AIDS Project!

      The Buddhist AIDS Project (BAP), based in San
      Francisco, California, provides free information and
      referral to:

      * Current HIV/AIDS and public health news, with links
      to local, national, and international resources;
      * Buddhist teachings, practice centers, hospices, and
      special events;
      * Complementary and Alternative Medicine services.

      An all-volunteer, non-profit Affiliate of the Buddhist
      Peace Fellowship (BPF), BAP serves anyone living with
      HIV/AIDS, including family, friends, caregivers and
      people who are HIV negative.

      Periodic BAP E-mail Updates call attention to changes
      at our website, http://www.buddhistaidsproject.org .
      The main pages of the site are News, Events, Library,
      Bookstore, Resources and Links. Since our last Update,
      there have been many changes and additions to all
      pages.

      The weekly updated News page is now organized under
      the following headings:

      * Buddhist News

      * Buddhist Recommended Resources -- San Francisco Bay
      Area, U.S., International

      * HIV/AIDS -- Recommended Resources

      * HIV/AIDS -- Breaking News

      * HIV/AIDS -- Prevention Updates (Extensive)

      * HIV AIDS -- Medicine, Policy, and Politics

      *HIV/AIDS -- Asia News

      *HIV/AIDS -- International Humanitarian Alerts:
      Orphans; Famine; Drug Deprivation

      *Global Health Alert -- Severe Acute Respiratory
      Syndrome, SARS

      Featured articles on the site, among many,
      now include --

      " AIDS Hasn't Peaked Yet -- And That's Not the Worst
      of It," Richard G.A. Feachem, The Washington Post

      " Politics and Policy/ National Journal Uses Global
      AIDS Initiative as Example of 'Mismatch Between
      Rhetoric and Reality' in Appropriations Process,"
      Kaiser News

      "Sex, Drugs, and NIH: Grant controversy escalates with
      charges of misconduct and 'scientific McCarthyism,"
      Ted Agres

      " AIDS Groups Launch Presidential Election Website,"
      Advocate Healthwatch

      "Safer Sex Methods -- Research Summary and Detailed
      Update," University of California San Francisco,
      December, 2003. Plus extensive reporting on HIV and
      Oral Sex

      "Novel Single Session Counseling Technique Reduces
      High Risk Behavior," Reuters

      "10 Things Gay Men Should Discuss with Their Doctors"

      "Physician Experience Still a Major Contributor to
      AIDS Survival," Reuters

      Current articles on increases in HIV infection among
      women, minorities, youth, gay men, and seniors.

      Plus Direct Links to HIV Testing Centers; Hepatitis
      A,B,C Testing Centers; HIV Drug Developments and
      Alerts; Recycling Medications; AIDS Orphans and Famine
      Assistance.
      In Buddhist News:

      " Is Buddhism Good for Your Health," Stephen S. Hall,
      The New York Times

      Updated Basic Buddhist Teachings Online, with links
      (please see Library page)

      Thich Nhat Hanh "On Suffering," and "Overcoming the
      Fear of Death"

      "In the Light of Death," Rick Fields, Tricycle

      "Dalai Lama Lite," Patrick French, The New York Times

      Listing and direct linking of Buddhist Hospices
      worldwide.

      -- and much more.

      For notification of "BAP Updates" by e-mail, please
      send the message:
      "Request updates" to our e-mail address:
      buddhistap@... .

      If you are considering donating your skills to the
      Buddhist AIDS Project, or want further information
      about the services it offers, please call BAP anytime
      at (415) 522-7473, or e-mail us.

      Thank you,

      Steve Peskind,
      for the Buddhist AIDS Project

      World AIDS Day, December 1, 2003
      Buddhist AIDS Project message --

      Good morning,

      December 1 is a reflective day for me, as we consider
      World AIDS Day, 2003, worldwide. This week in 1981,
      I met my first men living with AIDS and began
      personal direct services and prevention with peers who
      were becoming ill very quickly. I also reflect upon my

      my father's death from cancer 13 years ago this
      morning -- the words come to mind, "With peace in your
      heart, rest in your true home, the brightest, whitest
      light of freedom." I, too, am living with cancer now
      at 52, two years since diagnosis this week, and
      reflecting more often on the truth of this life,
      death, and actions. I listen to the daily joys,
      celebrations, sorrows and sadnesses which we all share
      in this wondrous impermanent world and universe.

      Sometimes I have to chuckle. Recognizing, feeling,
      and accepting spiritual truth, by whichever name we
      call it, i.e Being Home, can happen in a moment, AND
      be the practice and effort of a lifetime, if not more.

      Buddhists trying to describe our truth draw a circle
      brushed in the air, use words, "the clear sky without
      center or boundary", "the selfless, luminous,
      unimpeded, spontanously compassionate..."
      "Nature of Mind," "Buddha Nature," "Ultimate Truth,"
      "Big Mind," "Original Face," and other word pictures
      are often used. Cosmologist Brian Swimme calls it the
      "All-nourishing Abyss."
      Thai Buddhist Master Ajahn Chah calls it "Our True
      Home." --
      For all, "Raids on the unspeakable," as Christian monk
      Thomas Merton pointed out.

      Highly respected Tibetan woman Lama Khandro Rinpoche,
      mid-30s, and quite clear with her words, notes that
      conscientous Buddhist students as well as those
      preventing the world wide HIV/AIDS epidemic, depend
      on our inherent "Primordial Wisdom (understanding
      connection to all) and individual responsibilty."
      Individual responsibility includes living
      and practicing Buddha's teachings, or the true and
      freeing guidelines of any authentic spiritual
      tradition.

      The well known Japanese Zen Master, Dogen Zenji,
      with his great wisdom and observant words:

      "(Spiritual) Practice is making one mistake after
      another!"

      Or as singer/songwriter Kris Kristofferson offered in
      the lyrics to his song the "Pilgrim," "He's takin'
      every wrong direction on the lonely way back home...
      And there are a lot of wrong directions on the lonely
      way back home."

      Contemporary Japanese Zen Master Suzuki Shunryu Roshi
      urged: "Keep polishing the tile!"

      Contemporary Korean Zen Master Dae Soen Sa Nim:

      "Go straight. Don't know.
      Just do it. Help others."

      Our daily actions and conscious choices in
      our bodies, speech, and mind may take us closer or
      further away from being home. Further feeling away
      often feels contracted inside. Likewise, feeling
      closer often feels warm, embracive, belonging. And
      our com~passion, feeling~together~with, and our
      understanding, forgiveness, and repair of relative
      wrongs if possible, may in each small effort brings us
      closer to the Truths of our hearts, too.

      May a deep beautiful "heart family" working together
      here for 10+ years now and any helpful years
      years to come, continue with growing awareness, in
      mending and aligning our way and path Home.
      Thank you very much,

      Steve Peskind
      Volunteer/Coordinator
      Buddhist AIDS Project