[ineb] INEB Confrence followup

  • richard petersen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 1999

      What are people doing since the INEB conference? I for one would be interested in some follow-up.

      It seems strange that NATO picks the time after the INEB conference with the theme, "Toward a culture of Non-violence" to start a war in Serbia. Are there Buddhist perspectives on this? Can peace be created with bombs? I found it interesting to note that the newspapers in India had far more about world opinion concerning the NATO bombing. I come back to the United States and the media seem to be running a pr campaign in support of more and more violence. And people wonder why some kids in the US solve their problems violently.

      This egroup list now has more features including a place to add links and post information.

      http://www.egroups.com/folders/ineb

      Should INEB use the Internet more actively to keep members informed? Is there any interest in upgrading the INEB page at BPF's website?

      I would be interested in hearing more about Christians burning Buddhist temples in Korea.

      Richard Petersen
      zpub@...

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ineb
      www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications
    • Jenny Jihyun Park
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 1999
        Hello Richard Petersen and all,

        Nice hearing from you. It seems this is the first e-mail through INEB eGroups after the conference. I believe everyone is too busy to show their activities at the moment. I'm also so busy to prepare the conference in Beijing and Hague. I'll have our website linked to BPF and INEB sites after I come back from the conference.

        Regarding your questions:
        1. Yes, I hope INEB use the internet more actively to members allied. I want to hear more about INEB members activities around the world. If anyone has any news or information which can be shared, pls send it out through the INEB eGroups.
        2. Also yes, I want to see updated INEB page and to have the page linked to more INEB branches or members' websites. (Richard, I am going to send you two image files for your use for updating the INEB page - two photos taken at the 9th conference.)
        3. I'll send you English articles in 1998 regarding Christians burning Buddhist temples end of May, if you are interested.

        I'm attending "The Hague Appeal for Peace" for May 11-15, is anyone attending the conference? If yes, pls send me an e-mail.

        Sincerely,
        Jenny Jihyun Park
        JungTo Society (JTS)
        tel) 82-2-587-0662, fax) 587-8998

[...]

        What's everyone looking at? Check out the Top40 most requested stocks!
        Plus quotes, charts, news, portfolios, mutual funds, and discussion.
        All free, fast, and easy. Visit: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/63

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ineb

        << File: ATT00002.htm >>

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ineb
      • jonaomi
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29, 1999
          Hey Richard-

          Thanks for the buzz on this. I think it would be a great idea to establish
          this as an open forum INEB user list. We sort of have one in the US linked
          to BPF, but it's very American in scope. I think it would be great to have
          one that includes conference participants, regular INEB members and
          contacts and other peope who want to sign up. So far we've always
          communicated through the Secretariat and Seeds of Peace which is not very
          effective or timely any more. Having a more direct set of links through an
          e-mail group would perhaps make us more of an interconnected network, do a
          much better job of circulating information, and ease the burden on the
          Executive Secretary to keep everyone informed.

          I think it would be also great to update the INEB homepage and keep it
          regularly updated. BPF is a bit overburdened trying to do it. Is there
          anyone out there who could help them with it?

          > What are people doing since the INEB conference? I for one would be
          >interested in some follow-
          >up.
          Doing well, super busy since moving back to Japan and starting up new work
          teaching some English at the same university as David Loy and doing some
          translation wprk with Tomatsu at the Pure Land (Jodo Shu) Research
          Institute in Toyko. Will still be fitting time in for Think Sangha but
          things will keep getting busier with the arrival of a new sentient being in
          December - my wife Naomi is pregnant.

          Off this weekend to shlock around in the mud for the sping rice planting at
          my in-laws.

          metta to you all,

          Jon Watts

          Jonathan Watts