Congratulations with His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Birthday

  • suancompany
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003
      Message to congratulate His Holiness the Dalai Lama

      Namassakarn Your Holiness,

      Greetings from Bangkok. Congratulations with your Birthday and growing support for Tibet World Day.
      In Bangkok your Birthday at Sunday 6th July will be celebrated with a Roundtable Discussion guided by Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa and Dr. Puntasen on "Buddhist Economics". This discussion will also inaugurate activities in Ruen Roi Chanam or "New Century" building of the Sathirakoses Nagapradipa Foundation, of which Ajarn Sulak is the President, constructed with the support of the Embassy of Japan in Bangkok.

      We selected this topic following discussions with Ven. Samdhong Rinpoche and Lodi Gyari in the framework of the Ariyavinaya project. Samdhong Rinpoche and Lodi Gyari made us understand that in the process towards autonomy of Tibet the economic factor may become decisive. In Thailand we experience that freedom is an illusion if "consumerism" dominates the minds of the citizens. The search for genuine "Buddhist Economics" is a common effort in which we need to support each other.

      The roundtable in Bangkok in a way is a warming up for the international workshop on "Buddhist Economics" in Bija Vidyapeeth, College for Sustainable Living in Dehra Dun, India 17 - 20 September 2003. The workshop will be guided by Sulak Sivaraksa, Helena Norberg-Hodge and Vandana Shiva; three Right Livelihood Award recepients. We hope the workshop will be a meeting point for socio-economic activists and business leaders from India, Tibet, Thailand and other Asian countries.

      November 9 - 11, 2003, the first Social Venture Network Asia conference will be hosted in Bangkok in cooperation with the International Peace Foundation. The conference will include a "Spirit in Business" workshop. This conference will be followed in December by a creative gathering in Ashram Wongsanit on "Buddhism and Development" co-organised with the World Faiths Development Dialogue.

      We hope our efforts contribute in a modest way to the high value of Compassion His Holiness is uniquely representing and we look forwards to strenthening cooperation.

      Sulak Sivaraksa

      On behalf of:

      Sathirakoses Nagapradipa Foundation
      Santi Pracha Dhamma Institute
      Spirit in Education Movement
      Ashram Wongsanit
      Tibetan Staff and Students at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
      Thai-Tibetan Study Center
      Garden of Fruition

      SOCIAL VENTURE NETWORK
      SVN Asia Conference Management