Re: "Buddhist Economics" 6th July

  • suancompany
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      Route to Ruen Roi Chanam or "New Century" building again: crossing Thakshin Bridge from Sathorn Road take the Charoen Nakorn Road curve to the left. When you arrive at Charoen Nakorn Road you have to choose right or left. Take right and you will see the Shell petrol station and Toyota garage soon (between Soi 20 and 22). Exactly opposite Shell petrol station you will see a small tunnel marked SEM. For parking your car you may try the car park of Thai Commercial Bank at Soi 22.

      Sunday 6th July 2003

      13.30 – 16.00 hours

      “New Century” building

      666 Charoen Nakorn Road, Klongsarn, Bangkok

      IN HONOUR OF THE BIRTHDAY OF HIS HOLINESS THE DALAI LAMA

      The Sathirakoses Nagapradipa Foundation

      and

      Suan Nguen Mee Ma Co., Ltd.

      co-organize a

      ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION

      on

      BUDDHIST ECONOMICS

      with

      Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa and Ajarn Apichai Puntasen

      in dialogue with a circle of discussion partners.

      Moderator: Pracha Hutanawatr

       Buddhist Economics can be understood in a strict sense. The book Buddhist Economics of Ven. Payuttho (Thailand) is a very good example of the application of Therevada teachings towards economic life. Seen from a broader perspective E.F. Schumacher’s Small is Beautiful has been the eye- opener for many towards the notion that economics can ~ and should? ~  be Buddhist. More recently H.H. the Dalai Lama inspired business leaders to rethink their economic paradigms. The broader understanding of “Buddhist Economics” includes interaction with other worldviews in a common effort to feed ‘holistic development’ with visionary business approaches. This new vision is based on grassroots experiences of people’s organisations (like community enterprises and farmers’ movements) in the first place, but also addresses macro-economic and cultural challenges.

       The Sunday 6th July Roundtable discussion in the “New Century” building is an opportunity to anticipate the International Workshop on Buddhist Economics to be held in September with Sulak Sivaraksa, Helena Norberg-Hodge and Vandana Shiva. This workshop will take place in Bija Vidyapeeth, College for Sustainable Living, near Dehra Dun, India; the Asian sister project of Schumacher College U.K.

       Later in the year the Social Venture Network (SVN) will organize the conference “Re-thinking Corporate Social Responsibility. Living Economies in Asia” and one of its workshops will be hosted by the “Spirit in Business” group that organized conferences in USA and Europe with H.H. the Dalai Lama, S.K. Goenka and Hazel Henderson.

       Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa is Right Livelihood Recipient and was honoured with the ‘Gandhi Millennium Award’. Ajarn Apichai is researcher and lecturer at Thammasat University. The Moderator of the Roundtable, Pracha Hutanawtr, prepares a creative gathering in Ashram Wongsanit on “Buddhism and Development” in cooperation with the World Faiths Development Dialogue (WFDD: an initiative of the Archbishop of Canterbury and James Wolfensohn of The World Bank) in December 2003.

      Translation from Thai into English will be provided. Donations welcome.

      Suan Nguen Mee Ma Co., Ltd.
      GARDEN OF FRUITION
      117 Fuang Nakorn Road (Opp. Wat Rajabopit)
      Bangkok 10200
      SIAM (Thailand)
      Tel.: (66)(2)6220955 Fax.: (66)(2)6223228
      E-mail: suanco@... or
      suancompany@...
      Website links:
      www.sulak-sivaraksa.org
      www.svneurope.com
      www.svn.org
      www.svnasia.or.th
    • Ulas Basar GEZGiN
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
        Hi,
        After our round table discussion about Buddhist
        economics yesterday, I thought the post below is
        relevant.

        Here is a call for papers from International
        Sociological Association.
        The central question is: "Can the Market Be Moral"

        Some of you would be interested in the website too:
        www.JIS3.org

        I am sorry upon interrupting, if you have no interest
        in Buddhist economics.

        With kind regards,
        uli
        (economic psychologist who still insists that the
        distinction between economics and economy is
        crucial:))

        Aj. Ulas Basar Gezgin,
        Makud Muang Rachawithayalai School,
        190 Moo1, T. Banna, A. Klaeng/ Rayong, 21110/ THAILAND

        Tel. 0066 2 7- 0214807
        0066 159 007 55
        (Turkce yapitlari icin
        http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas
        (For his English works
        http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas/hislife.htm

        =======================

        >Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:32:41 +0200
        >From: isa@... (International Sociological
        Association)
        >Subject: Call for papers - Can the Market be Moral?
        >
        >To: Members of the International Sociological
        Association

        >Call for Papers
        >Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies
        >Can the Market be Moral?
        >Vol. XVI no.. 1/2 2004
        >
        >It has become commonplace to expect unbounded
        progress in
        >advanced industrial societies via science,
        technology, and the
        >market. And while government has grown both in its
        monitoring
        >and regulatory functions regarding the economy,
        individual and
        >corporate human decision-making remain pivotal in
        market
        >competition. This fact is underscored by both the
        achievements
        >and failures in the world of business. Spectacular
        corporate
        >bankruptcies and shareholder losses raise the issue
        of
        >individual and corporate moral responsibility.
        >
        >Reinhold Niebuhr's paradigmatic notion in Moral Man
        and Immoral
        >Society (1932) might be rephrased in a postmodern era
        lacking a
        >moral compass as: Can there be a moral society,
        economy, and
        >market composed of immoral men? Why do individuals
        tend to
        >relax their ethical standards when acting in groups
        or
        >collectivities? How, then, can the American
        experiment in
        >democracy understood as popular self-government, the
        rule of
        >law, and free enterprise fulfil its promise of
        liberty,
        >equality, and justice for all?
        >
        >Deadline for submitting papers: 1 January 2004.
        >
        >Send 3 both-sided copies of: 15-25 page manuscript
        and
        >150-word abstract, typed, double-spaced, in-text
        citation
        >format, author identification on a separate sheet
        only (with

        --- suancompany <suanco@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > conferences in USA and Europe with H.H. the Dalai
        > Lama, S.K. Goenka and Hazel Henderson.
        >
        > Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa is Right Livelihood
        > Recipient and was honoured with the �Gandhi
        > Millennium Award�. Ajarn Apichai is researcher and
        > lecturer at Thammasat University. The Moderator of
        > the Roundtable, Pracha Hutanawtr, prepares a
        > creative gathering in Ashram Wongsanit on �Buddhism
        > and Development� in cooperation with the World
        > Faiths Development Dialogue (WFDD: an initiative of
        > the Archbishop of Canterbury and James Wolfensohn of
        > The World Bank) in December 2003.
        >

        > Translation from Thai into English will be
        > provided. Donations welcome.
        >
        > Suan Nguen Mee Ma Co., Ltd.
        > GARDEN OF FRUITION
        > 117 Fuang Nakorn Road (Opp. Wat Rajabopit)
        > Bangkok 10200
        > SIAM (Thailand)
        >
        > Tel.: (66)(2)6220955 Fax.: (66)(2)6223228

        =====
        Aj. Ulas Basar Gezgin,
        Makud Muang Rachawithayalai School, Bilingual Department

        http://sbc.yahoo.com