Re: Holly

  • Anthony Walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003

      Dear Yoons,

      I am writing back too. I assume you`ve also seen Jim`s wonderful HOW COULD YOU? Please send it to all your friends, as a tribute to Holly. Jim is wonderful in the work he does, in his sensitivity and in his writing. Have you a copy of PIECES OF MY HEART? We are all attempting to get some action on the part of the Korean and other E. Asian govts. with regard to the daily torture of dogs in those countries (www.koreananimals.org) I am dismayed by the silence of the Buddhist clergy & other Buddhist representatives, who are holding a big conference on Buddhism in Korea in July of this year.

      Best wishes,

      Anthony Walker.

       "yoons_choi <yoons_choi@...>" <yoons_choi@...> wrote:

      Dear Jim,

      thanks for the beautiful story. (I saw your message in the animal_net)
      It is a very moving piece of writing. Holly was a very lucky dog to
      have you just as we are lucky to have our dogs. My dog is nearly
      fifteen and she did change my life so much. I know one day I will
      have to say goodbye to her. And it will never be easy when the time
      comes. Unfortunately the time comes often too quickly for us but in a
      sense that it is a blessing that we have a longer life span than our
      dogs. I hope Holly will be remembered with happiness in your heart
      whenever you think of her.

      Thanks for your wonderful work. I will distribute the link and the
      story to the egroups I belong. She will have a special place in my
      heart too.

      kind wishes,

      Yoon

      BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY, ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS, MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

      See: www.koreananimals.org

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Anthony Walker
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003

        Dear Yoon,

        Many thanks.

        I will forward your letter on to Jim. I am sure he will do all he can to help. I have some articles of mine I will try to fish out for you.

        The perpetrators of these atrocities, of course, like those in Spain too, hide behind the words "tradition" and "culture." By these means they win the passive support of people considered "progressive", who then tell us: "We must respect traditions" etc. I have been called a racist because of my hatred of cruelty, by both Spaniards, Asians, and "progressives", who are not progressives at all. The word "tradition" has a magical quality for them, as though tradition is good for its own sake.

        However, even so, anyone who cares to actually find out something about Buddhism and Confucianism knows that cruelty is abhorrent and is condemned by all the sages. I thought that a condemnation by the Buddhist clergy would have an effect, but they prefer to ignore our appeals. Obviously, they are not so concerned about "merit" and "a favourable rebirth" as they make out!

        I ask myself why it is that the countries which practise the worst cruelties today (Asia) have a connection with vegetarianism in the minds of wewsterners and food "experts". Even so, our first efforts have to be directed less at vegetarianism per se than at the practise of TORTURING to death these poor animals.

        I will be sending you some of my work, but it will come from my old email address. Please reply, however, to me here, and not at that one. Thanks. Anthony. I have translated HOW COULD YOU? into Proven´┐Żal, and Jim has it also in French too.

         Yoon Choi <yoons_choi@...> wrote:

        Dear Anthony,

        Yes I've seen his beautiful story. I love his writing
        and I wonder whether he knows too about the tragedy of
        dogs and cats in some Asian countries? I wanted an
        article against eating dogs from a compassionate view
        point so that I can display it in my friends of dogs
        site. I wonder whether Jim could write something, even
        if it's just a poetry, for the dogs in Asia.

        It's so touching that he wanted to spread the story as
        a tribute to Holly. I did post them to the egroups I
        belong. I hope many people will read it and perhaps
        someone may have second thoughts if s/he was going to
        give up his/her dog? But when I read it, I was
        thinking of the dogs in Korea who were kept as a pet
        and then sold to a dog butcher because the owners were
        lazy and heartless.

        I didn't realise you were also supporting KAPS. Can
        you tell me a bit more about yourself and what you do
        for the dogs in Asia? I think people who fight for the
        same cause should link and help each other. If you
        haven't seen my Friends of dogs site yet, it is
        http://www.geocities.com/yoons_choi/
        There is an articles page where I collect articles
        against eating dogs (and statements against eating
        dogs from Asian animal groups) as there are so many
        misconceptions regarding the issue which seriously
        hinders our efforts to save the dogs. Perhaps you
        could persuade Jim to write a short piece of writing
        for the Asian dogs?

        Apart from running the site, I help KAPS with a few
        translations and help IAKAUK for various things. I
        also run an internet group where we share ideas and
        info regarding how we are going to stop this horror.

        The below is a link to my article on the subject
        published in Labour Animal Welfare Society site.
        Please have a look when you have some time.
        http://www.labouranimalwelfaresociety.org/articles/Koreas%20shame.htm

        >>I am dismayed by the silence of the Buddhist clergy
        & other Buddhist representatives, who are holding a
        big conference on Buddhism in Korea in July of this
        year.<<
        There have been a few Buddhist monks in Korea who
        spoke out against dog meat openly. Korean Buddhists
        believe that dogs are reincarnation of ancestors. So
        they show more objection to dog meat than other meat.
        Unfortunately the Western Buddhists do not seem to
        share this view. Perhaps these Buddhist
        representatives can be persuaded to say something
        against eating dogs if we could find courageous
        Buddhist monk in Korea who can argue the importance of
        speaking against the evil of eating dogs. The best
        argument agaisnt eating dogs I ever read was written
        by a Korean Buddhist monk. Unfortunately the piece of
        writing cannot be found and I have no way of
        contacting him.

        best wishes,

        Yoon

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com