Life is not about getting

  • Vayagool Ratha
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2003

      Life is not about getting

      Most people's lives are about getting something.  And the truth is, there is nothing to get.  All we have to do is to be.  The being produces the end result.  It is imperative that you understand that the doing and the having part parts of your life are not what determines the quality of your life.  The being aspect is what determines the quality of your life.  Who you are - your conscious perception of your self - controls what is happening to you.

      When you focus your attention on solving problems and trying to make things better, something very interesting  happens:  you miss what you already have.  So the only way to find happiness and satisfaction is to enjoy what you already have right now.  Again, I am not saying that you should not set goals or make plans.  What I am saying is that you should enjoy the present moment because this is all you have.  Create for tommorow, but live in and for today.

      We only have two choices in life.  The first is to enjoy what we have today, and the second is to have anxiety about what we do not have and focus on tomorrow hoping it will be better.  There are no other choices. Now, remember, getting what you want will not change your life at the being level, so do not let what you have determine who you are.

      Otherwise tomorrows's goals will be bankrupt.  If you are tied into getting somewhere or getting something to make you happy, you will be on a treadmill for the rest of  your life.  You will be operating from the hypnotic belief that more is better, and that it is better over there than over here.  Go after what you want, but do enjoy the trip.  Life is a journey, not a destination.  Know that when you get what you want , it will not change who you are at the being level.  Love yourself unconditionally.

      118/1 Moo 1, Baan Nong Pru

      Nong Pai Kaiw, Baan Bung

      Chonburi 20220

      Thailand