Re: Fwd: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

  • Anthony Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2003

      Many thanks for this. I received a very callous response from the MSU Buddhist group, & clerical sources, inc. the Buddhist Society, persist in ignoring me. I fail to see how these so-called "traditions" came about in Buddhist lands, if indeed they are "traditions" at all (!), since Buddhist Japan, at least, from 675 until 1868, held strictly to Buddhist teaching re: compassion for animals. If these atrocities are "traditions", they must either have existed prior to the arrival of Buddhism (which means centuries of Buddhist influence availed nothing), or else they are modern phenomena toward which the Buddhist clergy remains silent. Confucianism is also opposed to cruelty, for which I have express quotes. I think, therefore, that the word "tradition" is here a masquerade, behind which hide the thugs and louts who perpetrate these evils and make money therefrom. In any case, Buddhist silence is here infuriating, you must agree.

      Anthony Walker.

       Venetia Walkey <dpp@...> wrote:

      February 19th '03

      Dear Anthony.

      We share your distress and will raise the subject during the conference
      and investigate ways in which Buddhist clergy could help to redress the
      situation. There are bound to be some who are sympathetic and efforts
      may already have been initiated.

      We have to understand the cultural implications and historical reasons
      for such barbarity. There must be groups of lay people who are working
      for the protection of animals in Korea. How to contact them ? Clergy
      could work with them to help educate the public. The Korean Buddhists
      Monks and nuns are mainly vegetarian. Such horrifying practices also
      exist in China.

      In the West, horrible experiments have been and are still being
      perpetrated by scientists behavioural psychologists vivisectionists and
      the like, on defenceless animals , Some deluded people still believe
      that animals do not suffer pain or have the same feelings as so called
      ( human ) beings.

      Boycotting Korea will not help to dispel the ignorance and cruelty of
      their treatment of animals, sensitive and sensible discussion may lead
      to positive actions and results.

      Yours sympathetically

      Venetia walkey.

      Log on to <www.koreananimals.org
      and examine your Buddhist consciences!

      Note: forwarded message attached.

      BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER
      DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY,
      ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING
      WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS,
      MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

      Do you Yahoo!?

      <
      /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
      Valentine's Day

      0000,3333,9999 Yahoo! Groups
      Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      <

      International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

      <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      03:31:34 -0800 (PST)

      by mta427.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 03:31:33 -0800 (PST)

      Feb 2003 11:29:38 -0000

      by m15.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 19 Feb 2003 11:29:37 -0000

      by mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 11:29:37 -0000

      19 Feb 2003 03:29:37 PST

      To: the_raven_journal@yahoogroups.com, tiergartenjim@...,

      THE TIERGARTEN SANCTUARY TRUST <

      Cc: raindrop1@...

      From: Anthony Walker <

      ineb-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:29:37 -0800 (PST)

      Subject: Fwd: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

      boundary="0-1866526404-1045654177=:43062"

      Note: forwarded message attached.

      BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER
      DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY,
      ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING
      WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS,
      MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

      Do you Yahoo!?

      <
      /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
      Valentine's Day

      International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

      <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      01:02:25 -0800 (PST)

      by mta519.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 01:02:25 -0800 (PST)

      Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

      -0000

      by m7.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 19 Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

      by mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:01:03 PST

      To: ineb e-group <

      From: INEB office <

      ineb-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:01:03 -0800 (PST)

      Subject: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

      boundary="0-1797377847-1045645263=:21700"

      0000,0000,BFBF Dear members of INEB,

      Greeting from INEB Secretariat Office. I hope you are well off.

      This is to initially inform you about The 2003 INEB Conference in
      Korea during 21 � 25 July 2003 in Seoul, South Korea.

      Co-organizers are Buddhist organizations in South Korea, led by
      The Venerable Pomnyun Sunim and Jungto Association.
      The Venerable was awarded a Magsaysay Prize last year for his endeavor
      to restore peace in Korean peninsular and other places, as well as to
      alleviate hunger in North Korea.

      As member of INEB, you are most welcome to join although we are unable
      to provide any traveling expenses. If you are interested in
      participating the conference, please fill the following �Reply Form�
      and return to me. This is to survey the number of people to come.

      I will keep you informed any progress of the conference as some
      information is to be finalized by Korean friends.

      Yours in the Dhamma,

      Ms. Lapapan Supamanta

      Executive Secretary

      **************************************

      Reply Form

      The 2003 INEB Conference in Korea

      21 � 25 July 2003

      Seoul, South Korea

      My name : ____________________________________________

      [ ] Yes I can come.

      [ ] No I cannot come.

      * Please mark topic(s) you would like to share in the thematic
      roundtables:

      Day 21-07-2003 � Buddhism in the Modern World �

      [ ] Buddhist identity in the modern world

      [ ] Inter-Buddhist dialogue

      [ ] Buddhist perspective on Women

      [ ] Buddhist perspective on Youth

      Day 22-07-2003 � Socially Engaged Buddhism �

      [ ] Environment and consumerism

      [ ] Peace and conflict transformation

      [ ] Human rights and marginalized people

      [ ] Poverty eradication

      * Any VDO/CD, etc. of your work to show during the night sessions?

      [ ] no

      [ ] yes, type (video/CD, etc) _________

      Title(s) ______________________________________

      Length of time _____________ (min.)

      * Exposure trip to Korean Buddhist sites (24-25 July). Limited
      seats are available. Please notify if you are interested

      #######

      International Network of Engaged Buddhists

      124 Soi Wat Thong Noppakhun,

      Somdej Chaophraya Rd., Klongsan,

      Bangkok 10600 THAILAND

      ph/fax: +66 2 437 9450

      e-mail : ineboffi ce@...

      Do you Yahoo!?

      <
      /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
      Valentine's Day

      International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

      <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:timetable.doc 2 (WDBN/MSWD)
      (0000BD96)