Fwd: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

  • Anthony Walker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2003

      Log on to www.koreananimals.org and examine your Buddhist consciences!

       Note: forwarded message attached.

      BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY, ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS, MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Anthony Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2003

        Many thanks for this. I received a very callous response from the MSU Buddhist group, & clerical sources, inc. the Buddhist Society, persist in ignoring me. I fail to see how these so-called "traditions" came about in Buddhist lands, if indeed they are "traditions" at all (!), since Buddhist Japan, at least, from 675 until 1868, held strictly to Buddhist teaching re: compassion for animals. If these atrocities are "traditions", they must either have existed prior to the arrival of Buddhism (which means centuries of Buddhist influence availed nothing), or else they are modern phenomena toward which the Buddhist clergy remains silent. Confucianism is also opposed to cruelty, for which I have express quotes. I think, therefore, that the word "tradition" is here a masquerade, behind which hide the thugs and louts who perpetrate these evils and make money therefrom. In any case, Buddhist silence is here infuriating, you must agree.

        Anthony Walker.

         Venetia Walkey <dpp@...> wrote:

        February 19th '03

        Dear Anthony.

        We share your distress and will raise the subject during the conference
        and investigate ways in which Buddhist clergy could help to redress the
        situation. There are bound to be some who are sympathetic and efforts
        may already have been initiated.

        We have to understand the cultural implications and historical reasons
        for such barbarity. There must be groups of lay people who are working
        for the protection of animals in Korea. How to contact them ? Clergy
        could work with them to help educate the public. The Korean Buddhists
        Monks and nuns are mainly vegetarian. Such horrifying practices also
        exist in China.

        In the West, horrible experiments have been and are still being
        perpetrated by scientists behavioural psychologists vivisectionists and
        the like, on defenceless animals , Some deluded people still believe
        that animals do not suffer pain or have the same feelings as so called
        ( human ) beings.

        Boycotting Korea will not help to dispel the ignorance and cruelty of
        their treatment of animals, sensitive and sensible discussion may lead
        to positive actions and results.

        Yours sympathetically

        Venetia walkey.

        Log on to <www.koreananimals.org
        and examine your Buddhist consciences!

        Note: forwarded message attached.

        BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER
        DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY,
        ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING
        WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS,
        MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

        Do you Yahoo!?

        <
        /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
        Valentine's Day

        0000,3333,9999 Yahoo! Groups
        Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        <

        International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

        <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        03:31:34 -0800 (PST)

        by mta427.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 03:31:33 -0800 (PST)

        Feb 2003 11:29:38 -0000

        by m15.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 19 Feb 2003 11:29:37 -0000

        by mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 11:29:37 -0000

        19 Feb 2003 03:29:37 PST

        To: the_raven_journal@yahoogroups.com, tiergartenjim@...,

        THE TIERGARTEN SANCTUARY TRUST <

        Cc: raindrop1@...

        From: Anthony Walker <

        ineb-owner@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:29:37 -0800 (PST)

        Subject: Fwd: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

        boundary="0-1866526404-1045654177=:43062"

        Note: forwarded message attached.

        BOYCOTT KOREA AND OTHER EAST ASIAN STATES! THOUSANDS OF DOGS PER
        DAY HUNG UP AND BEATEN ALIVE WITH CLUBS, BLOWTORCHED TO MAXIMISE AGONY,
        ALL IN THE NAME OF "TRADITION". CATS FLUNG SCREAMING ALIVE INTO BOILING
        WATER. BUDDHIST CLERGY STAY SILENT WHILST THEIR LAITY TORTURE ANIMALS,
        MORE THAN ANYWHERE ELSE, IN UNSPEAKABLE WAYS, EVERY DAY!

        Do you Yahoo!?

        <
        /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
        Valentine's Day

        International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

        <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        01:02:25 -0800 (PST)

        by mta519.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 01:02:25 -0800 (PST)

        Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

        -0000

        by m7.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 19 Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

        by mta2.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 19 Feb 2003 09:01:03 -0000

        Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:01:03 PST

        To: ineb e-group <

        From: INEB office <

        ineb-owner@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:01:03 -0800 (PST)

        Subject: [ineb] INEB Conference in Korea (July 2003)

        boundary="0-1797377847-1045645263=:21700"

        0000,0000,BFBF Dear members of INEB,

        Greeting from INEB Secretariat Office. I hope you are well off.

        This is to initially inform you about The 2003 INEB Conference in
        Korea during 21 � 25 July 2003 in Seoul, South Korea.

        Co-organizers are Buddhist organizations in South Korea, led by
        The Venerable Pomnyun Sunim and Jungto Association.
        The Venerable was awarded a Magsaysay Prize last year for his endeavor
        to restore peace in Korean peninsular and other places, as well as to
        alleviate hunger in North Korea.

        As member of INEB, you are most welcome to join although we are unable
        to provide any traveling expenses. If you are interested in
        participating the conference, please fill the following �Reply Form�
        and return to me. This is to survey the number of people to come.

        I will keep you informed any progress of the conference as some
        information is to be finalized by Korean friends.

        Yours in the Dhamma,

        Ms. Lapapan Supamanta

        Executive Secretary

        **************************************

        Reply Form

        The 2003 INEB Conference in Korea

        21 � 25 July 2003

        Seoul, South Korea

        My name : ____________________________________________

        [ ] Yes I can come.

        [ ] No I cannot come.

        * Please mark topic(s) you would like to share in the thematic
        roundtables:

        Day 21-07-2003 � Buddhism in the Modern World �

        [ ] Buddhist identity in the modern world

        [ ] Inter-Buddhist dialogue

        [ ] Buddhist perspective on Women

        [ ] Buddhist perspective on Youth

        Day 22-07-2003 � Socially Engaged Buddhism �

        [ ] Environment and consumerism

        [ ] Peace and conflict transformation

        [ ] Human rights and marginalized people

        [ ] Poverty eradication

        * Any VDO/CD, etc. of your work to show during the night sessions?

        [ ] no

        [ ] yes, type (video/CD, etc) _________

        Title(s) ______________________________________

        Length of time _____________ (min.)

        * Exposure trip to Korean Buddhist sites (24-25 July). Limited
        seats are available. Please notify if you are interested

        #######

        International Network of Engaged Buddhists

        124 Soi Wat Thong Noppakhun,

        Somdej Chaophraya Rd., Klongsan,

        Bangkok 10600 THAILAND

        ph/fax: +66 2 437 9450

        e-mail : ineboffi ce@...

        Do you Yahoo!?

        <
        /shop?d=browse&i;f=20146735>Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for
        Valentine's Day

        International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)

        <Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:timetable.doc 2 (WDBN/MSWD)
        (0000BD96)