- JOIN FORCES TO BUILD THE Mun Yuen” COMMUNITY: THE FIRST VILLAGE OF EARTHEN DWELLINGS IN THAILAND BAN THEP PA NA, THEP SATHIT DISTRICT, CHAIYAPHUM PROVINCE,Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2002View SourceJOIN FORCES TO BUILD THE "Mun Yuen� COMMUNITY:
THE FIRST VILLAGE OF EARTHEN DWELLINGS IN THAILAND
BAN THEP PA NA, THEP SATHIT DISTRICT, CHAIYAPHUM PROVINCE, NOVEMBER 2002
The " Mun yuen" community is a unique group of villagers striving
to create a self -reliant sustainable community in Northeastern Thailand. One way to reach this goal is to use earthen building techniques for housing. We invite you to come help and share in this learning project. In total 25 houses and 1 community center will be built. The efforts under this program will yeild a prototype for other communities wishing to live in harmony with nature .
Participants will have the opportunity to not only learn about natural building , but exchange on community, culture and ideas with villagers and each other.
Objectives of the project ;
* To facilitate rural self � reliance by enabling villagers to create their own living space through participation in the project.
* To promote earthen friendly building techniques by using available clay and straw resources to conserve the nearby forest.
* To provide an economical, alternative building technique for the poor by using low cost, easily maintained and environmentally sustainable materials.
Throughout the project, the participants will build, plaster and paint:
- 1 main meeting hall
- 1 small meeting hall
- 20 houses for the villages
- 2 houses for saunas
- 1 storage building for rice
There will also be lectures, seminars and discussions with a Senior Architect and an Orchid Botanic Scholar on:
- Desirable communities in Thai Society
- How happy we are when living in earthen dwellings
- Earthen dwellings from different perspectives (education, environment, spirituality, health, local wisdom, society and economy, art and aesthetics, natural architecture)
- Human and Nature
- Women and their roles in house building and town planning
- AND a Special lecture on Natural Architecture for the 21st Century
The Workshop registration including food, accommodation and tuition is on a sliding scale of 600 - 300 USD FOR THE WHOLE MONTH OF NOVEMBER. If you wish to come for less than a month, please contact us. The price is negotiable.
To join the project or for further information please contact :
Pairin Pongsura or Maria Deniz
Wongsanit Ashram ,
International Network of Engaged Buddhists
PO Box 19 Mahadthai Post Office
ph/fax: +66 2 437 9450
Do You Yahoo!?
HotJobs, a Yahoo! service - Search Thousands of New Jobs