[ineb] World Bank discussion on environmental sustainability

  • richard petersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 1999
      I thought some on this list might be interested in the following.
      I participated in the previous WB discussion and think that it is
      good to have some views from Engaged Buddhists mixed into the
      traditional "institution speak" of the bank.

      Richard
      -----------------

      The World Bank's Operations Evaluation Department (OED) invites
      you to join an
      electronic discussion on the evaluation of the World Bank Group's
      performance in
      promoting environmental sustainability in development. The
      discussion begins on
      July 6, 1999 and will last for a period of four to six weeks.
      The objective is:

      * to bring together representatives from NGOs, private sector,
      international
      organizations and other stakeholders to discuss their views on
      the Bank's
      performance in promoting environmental sustainability in
      development;

      * for the OED to obtain useful knowledge (relevant information
      and evidence)
      for its evaluation; and

      * to prepare the ground for the dissemination and assimilation of
      the
      evaluation's findings by the Bank and other interested
      stakeholders.

      In the late 1980s, following upon growing worldwide concerns
      about the
      compatibility of economic development with environmental
      sustainability, the
      World Bank greatly strengthened its efforts to integrate
      environmental concerns
      into the mainstream of developmental policymaking. This led to
      introduction of
      environmental concerns into the development agenda; the design
      and
      implementation of a great number and variety of environmental
      products,
      including projects, policy guidance, research and training; the
      formulation of
      widely accepted guidelines on environmental matters; and the
      broadening of the
      Bank's reach through its leadership role in the global
      environmental debate
      and new partnerships with international and local organizations.

      However, considering the magnitude of environmental issues, the
      impact of the
      World Bank Group's programs on broad environmental trends in the
      developing
      world has been limited, and the achievements of various programs
      have been
      mixed. Serious issues are still being raised about the Bank
      Group's performance
      in living up to its commitment to environmental sustainability.

      Information on this online discussion, including background
      materials, can be
      found in the Development Forum discussion space on the World
      Bank's web site
      <http://www.worldbank.org/devforum/current-environment.html>.
      The conference
      will take the form of a moderated email discussion list, archived
      onto the
      Development Forum website. A team of moderators will review all
      messages
      for relevance before posting them to the list. The moderators
      will also
      prepare regular summaries of the discussion for posting both to
      the list and
      to the Forum site.

      We plan to prepare a synthesis report of the discussions based on
      the responses.
      This report will form the basis for future work including
      workshops, short
      notes, and commissioned papers.

      The conference is open to the public. However, the moderators
      will enforce both
      the general rules of decorum of the Development Forum and the
      specific rule that
      contributions to this conference should be directly addressed to
      the issues
      under discussion.

      If you wish to participate, please send an email to:
      majordomo@...
      Leave the subject line blank.
      In the body of the message, type the following: subscribe E-SUST
      You will receive a welcome message confirming your subscription.
      For further information, or if you have questions, please
      contact:
      Moderator3@...

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ineb