Neutral Feeling And Neutral Treatment: Two Kinds Of Upekkha

  • abhidhammika@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2001
      Dear Engaged Buddhism Friends,

      Yesterday, I posted a message on Two Kinds Of Upekkha.
      But, it contains MS Word 2000 fonts for Pali which show
      sign distortions in the Group message. So I posted a
      plain text version of the message below.

      Apologies For Any Inconvenience

      Suan

      Neutral Feeling And Neutral Treatment:
      Two Kinds Of Upekkha

      HISTORY

      Desmond Chiong recently posted a message (Triplegem 1240) with a
      question which of the Four Appamaññaa can happen naturally or not.

      My reply (Triplegem 1263) was that all the four happen naturally.

      Desmond returned my reply with a message (Triplegem 1264) that
      upekkhaa in the four could happen only by meditative practice.

      In response (Triplegem 1265), I asked Desmond to go to Sections 150,
      156, 157, and 159 in Dhammasanganii and see for himself how the
      sensuous healthy minds contain upekkha – without meditative practice.

      HISTORY ENDS HERE.

      My latest response was somewhat misleading because I should also have
      included Sections 1, 146, 147, amd 149 in Dhammasanganii. When I was
      making that response, I was very sleepy staying very late at night,
      and was focusing only on Dhammasanganii, which does not show another
      kind of upekkha, namely, tatramajjhattataa in the first kaamaavacara
      healthy mind. So I failed to read and consider this kind of upekkhaa.
      However, the next morning, upekkha as tatramajjhattataa began to
      occupy my mind and forced me to read Atthasalinii and Visuddhimagga.

      When I began to read the fine prints in Atthasalinii, I realized that
      upekkhaa in the Four Appamaññaa referred to tatramajjhattataa.

      Section 1 in Dhammasanganii lists mental components occurring in the
      first sensuous healthy mind. But near the end of the list, it uses
      the phrase ` and other components also' (ye vaa pana).

      When Atthasalinii elaborates on this phrase, it lists nine additional
      psychological phenomena as other mental components (yevaapanakaa).
      One of them is tatramajjhattataa. And the most interesting terms
      found in the discussion are mettapubbabhaago, karunapubbabhaago,
      muditāpubbabhaago, and <surprise, surprise> upekkhaapubbabhaago. So
      some of the missing items in the first sensuous healthy mind are
      described as pre-developmental love, pre-developmental compassion,
      pre-developmental joy, and pre-developmental equipoise
      (upekkhaapubbabhaago).

      And then, Atthasalinii explains that if tatramajjhattataa is taken,
      it amounts to taking upekkhaapubbabhaago (so pana tatramajjhattataaya
      gahitaaya gahitova hoti). In plain English, the first sensuous
      healthy mind contains the tatramajjhattataa kind of upekkhaa (i.e,
      tatramajjhattataa and upekkha for meditative cultivation are the
      same).

      Upekkhaain the phrase `upekkhaasahagatam' in Section 150 of
      Dhammasanganii refers to neutral feeling.

      Upekkha in the missing item `upekkhaapubbabhaago' in the phrase `ye
      vaa pana' in the same section 150 refers to neutral treatment which
      is what tatramajjhattataa does in dealing with things and beings.

      Thus, it amounts to saying that the sensuous healthy minds in
      Sections 150, 156, 157, amd 159 contain both kinds of upekkha while
      the sensuous healthy minds in Sections 1, 146, 147, and 149 contain
      pre-developmental upekkha with the meaning of neutral treatment.

      The final verdict based on findings in Dhammasanganii and
      Atthasalinii is that all eight sensuous healthy minds (kaamaavacara
      kusala cittaani) contain pre-developmental upekkhaa or neutral
      treatment while the last four of them contain both kinds of upekkhaa
      (neutral feeling as well as pre-developmental neutral treatment).

      Suan Lu Zaw

      http://www.bodhiology.org