[ineb] Fw: Press Release

  • INEB Secretariat
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 1999
      International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)
      P.O.Box 19, Mahadthai Post Office
      Bangkok 10206, THAILAND
      Tel./Fax: [66-2] 433-7169
      INEB Website: www.bpf.org/ineb.html
      INEB e-mail list: http://www.egroups.com/group/ineb/

      ----------
> [...]
      solution
      > to resolve the long festering ethnic conflict. The opinion survey was
      > carried out by a team of university graduate students led by Prof S.T.
      > Hettige of the University of Colombo. The survey of voter opinion in
      five
      > of the country's eight provinces was done in collaboration with the
      > National Peace Council of Sri Lanka.
      >
      > Given a choice of three options (political, military or joint political/
      > military), two-thirds of the respondents (66 percent) opted for a
      > political solution as against 22 percent for a military solution.
      > Significantly, only 7 percent of those polled opted for a joint military/
      > political approach to ending the conflict. After two decades of military
      > operations and half hearted political packages to resolve the problem,
      the
      > voters appear to want a clear cut approach, one way or the other.
      >
      > The very low approval rating for the joint military/ political approach
      > favoured by successive governments indicates a general disillusionment
      > with the protracted stalemate this approach has given rise to. The high
      > approval rating for a political approach to ending the conflict gives a
      > potent message to the country's political leaders. The debate about a
      > political solution can prove to be a decisive issue at Presidential and
      > General elections in the coming year.
      >
      > However, with regard to the nature of a political solution a polarisation
      > of views was apparent in the poll. While 48 percent of those polled
      agreed
      > with the need for more power to be devolved for a political solution, an
      > equal percentage disagreed. This indicates that a significant number of
      > voters are looking for a political solution that is not limited simply to
      > the devolution of power. Leadership will be necessary to overcome this
      > situation and obtain majority backing for a political solution. In this
      > context, more attention will need to be paid to asymmetrical devolution
      and
      > forms of power sharing at the centre, such as the setting up of a Senate,
      > ethnic quotas in the Cabinet and the election of Vice Presidents from
      the
      > ethnic minority communities.
      >
      > Interestingly, the statistics showed that the young and the more educated
      > were more inclined to be liberal in their thinking than those who were
      > older and less educated. The survey results are in line with earlier
      > surveys done independently by Prof. Hettige and the NPC which have shown
      > strong desire for a politically negotiated settlement among the general
      > population, and in particular among the youth.
      >
      > Media Director
      >
      > NOTE ON THE SURVEY METHODOLOGY
      >
      > The above poll was conducted on the day of the Provincial Council
      elections
      > (April 6) by a team of University of Colombo sociologists led by Prof.
      Siri
      > Hettige. The five provinces in which elections took place were the
      > Western, Northcentral, Uva, Sabaragamuwa and Central provinces. A total
      of
      > 27 polling stations were covered by 22 pollsters. They were stationed in
      > the vicinity of the polling stations so that they could interview a
      sample
      > of voters leaving the polling booths.
      >
      > Five questions were posed.
      > 1. What was the most important factor you took into account in casting
      > your vote?
      > 2. Were you concerned about the ongoing war when you cast your vote?
      > 3. How should the ethnic conflict be ended? By a military solution?
      By
      > a political solution? By a joint military-political solution?
      > 4. Is more devolution of power necessary to solve the ethnic conflict?
      > 5. What do you think about the preferential system of voting? Satisfied
      > with it? Want it changed?
      >
      > The detailed findings of this survey can be obtained by email by request.
      >

      > IF YOU WISH TO BE TAKEN OFF THIS MAILING LIST, PLEASE REPLY WITH THE WORD
      > "UNSUBSCRIBE" IN YOUR REPLY.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ineb
    • INEB Secretariat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 1999

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 1999
          International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)
          P.O.Box 19, Mahadthai Post Office
          Bangkok 10206, THAILAND
          Tel./Fax: [66-2] 433-7169
          INEB Website: www.bpf.org/ineb.html
          INEB e-mail list: http://www.egroups.com/group/ineb/

          ----------
          > From: Peace Council <peace2@...>
          > To: peace2@...
          > Subject: Press Release
          > Date: 20 ¡Ã¡®Ò¤Á 2542 18:51
          >

          > National Peace Council
          > of Sri Lanka
          > 291/36A Havelock Gardens
          > Colombo 6
          > Tel: 075 349696
          > Tel/Fax: 502522
          > E Mail: peace2@...
          >
          > 20.7.99
          >
          > Press Release
          >
          > Bipartisanship endangered by political clashes
          >
          > The violent clash between the security forces of the government and a UNP
          > procession in Colombo has a more ominous significance than mere party
          > political rivalry for power. Significantly the clashes occurred at a
          time
          > when there appeared to be a movement forward in the government-UNP talks
          > facilitated by the business leaders on a bipartisan approach to resolving
          > the ethnic conflict.
          >
          > In the aftermath of the clash, there have been voices raised asking for
          > these talks to be ended. The leadership of the government and UNP should
          > not permit those forces opposed to a peaceful resolution of the ethnic
          > conflict to exploit this situation.
          >
          > The National Peace Council discerns a pattern in which advances in the
          > direction of a peaceful approach to resolving the ethnic conflict are
          > followed by events that disrupt it. The military action and breakdown of
          > trust following the visit of the religious dignitaries to the Wanni is an
          > example.
          >
          > There is today an unprecedented amount of public support for a bipartisan
          > political approach to the resolution of the ethnic conflict. Not only
          the
          > business leaders, but also religious leaders, grassroots politicians and
          > the general public have come out in support of bipartisanship to end the
          > war.
          >
          > Last week in the Matara district, with support from the NPC, an
          > unprecedented gathering of Pradeshiya Sabha politicians from both the PA
          > and UNP issued a call for bipartisanship in resolving the ethnic conflict
          > through political means.
          >
          > The NPC calls on the leadership of the government and UNP to be steadfast
          > in their commitment to a bipartisan approach to resolving the ethnic
          > conflict, and not permit extraneous problems to come in-between them.
          >

          > Media Director
          >

          > (IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE ON THIS EMAIL LIST PLEASE LET US KNOW)

        • INEB Secretariat
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 1999
            Dear friends,

            Below is a press release from our friend at the Natinal Peace Council in
            Sri Lanka.

            International Network of Engaged Buddhists (INEB)
            P.O.Box 19, Mahadthai Post Office
            Bangkok 10206, THAILAND
            Tel./Fax: [66-2] 433-7169
            INEB Website: www.bpf.org/ineb.html
            INEB e-mail list: http://www.egroups.com/group/ineb/

            ----------
            > From: Peace Council <peace2@...>
            > To: peace2@...
            > Subject: Press Release
            > Date: 17 ¡Ñ¹ÂÒ¹ 2542 15:04
            >

            > National Peace Council
            > of Sri Lanka
            > 291/36 A Havelock Garden
            > Colombo 6
            >
            > Tel: 502522, 075 349696
            > Fax: 502522
            > Email: peace2@...
            >

            > 17.9.99
            >

            > Press
            Release

            > No Military Gains, Only Human Costs
            in
            > the Wanni
            >
            > The airforce bombing and killing of 21 civilians and injuring of many
            > others in the Mullaitivu district is a cause for immense grief, anger and
            > suffering among the directly affected people of the area. We believe
            that
            > military and political strategies that lead to such tragedies must be
            > condemned and rejected by all right thinking people wherever they may
            live.

            > These civilian casualties follow the military operations by the Sri Lanka
            > army against LTTE-held positions in the Mannar district on the other side
            > of the island. The only outcome of these operations appears to be the
            > death toll, with over two hundred combatants killed and several hundreds
            > more injured at a minimum. The ground situation after the fighting
            appears
            > not to have changed at all with the two sides locked in a continuing
            > stalemate.
            >
            > Despite the procurement of virtually unlimited quantities of new
            armaments
            > and the continuing recruitment to the armed forces, the fact is that the
            > ground reality is not changing in any way that could be construed to be
            > positive. The only changes are those for the worse, in the level of
            > cost, both human and material, and the loss of democratic and humane
            > values. War can never address the issues of governance in a country.
            >
            > It is not surprising that in the context of this brutal and senseless
            war,
            > and the sufferings deliberately or accidentally inflicted upon the people
            > of those areas, that so many of them should openly wish the military to
            > withdraw. This was the sentiment publicly expressed to a group of
            > journalists who visited villages of the north-east along with the
            National