VIRUS WARNING - If you havent heard about it.

  • Jen Cairns
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2000
      Dear Anyone who hasnt heard the news recently...

      Don't open any email that says either JOKE in the title, or I LOVE YOU (or
      similar) - delete, and delete from the trash as well. Also delete the
      attachments if any.

      I got one before I heard the news, via the USA (from a trainer's group ttch
      ttch) - but as I am jaundiced and disbelieving in nature it got deleted
      fortunately.

      Read below for further details....

      Apparently this rogue program copies one's address book and spams everyone
      there with repeat messages, and has successfully choked up the Houses of
      Parliament, and various big businesses. (What a shame)

      EXTRACT FROM TODAY'S GUARDIAN - a UK Broad sheet.
      http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/
      Second 'love bug' threatens computers
      Love bug virus creates worldwide chaos

      A new strain of the virus that yesterday attacked computer systems across
      the world has emerged. 'Love bug 2' is again email based, this time in the
      form of an email with a joke attachment. Experts believe the new variant
      has been devised by a "copycat" programmer using the ILOVEYOU virus as a
      model. Love Bug 2 works in the same way, rapidly multiplying by sending
      itself to all those listed in a user's email address book.

      The email uses the comparatively common subject header: "fwd: Joke". It
      contains no text but an attachment called "very funny.vbs", which, if
      downloaded, triggers the damaging virus.
      The original virus appears in emails as "ILOVEYOU", enticing users to open
      the message, only to paralyse their e-mail systems. One of its variants
      uses the phrase "fw: joke" in the subject line. Another has a subject line
      that reads "Susitikim shi vakara kavas puodukui...", which is Lithuanian
      for "Let's meet this evening for coffee...".

      Best wishes,

      Jen