Buddhist Retreat in New Mexico

  • vruiz@cnsp.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      This is an announcement for a unique Buddhist retreat taking place at
      the end of this month. Please join us.

      Faith in Action: Liberating the Conscious Heart
      A Meditation Retreat to be held May 22 - 26, 2000
      at Los Alamos National Laboratory

      Sponsored by the Buddhist Peace Fellowship, the Mountain Cloud Zen
      Center of Santa Fe, and the Los Alamos Study Group, an organization
      advocating nuclear disarmament.

      From Monday afternoon, May 22 through Friday night, May 26, there
      be a silent prayer and meditation retreat at the Los Alamos National

      Los Alamos is a place primarily devoted to the design, production,
      promotion of nuclear weapons. It is here that the bombs dropped on
      Hiroshima and Nagasaki were designed and built. The laboratory is
      proud of this "accomplishment." Today, nuclear weapons research
      continues on a grand scale. The purpose of this retreat is to protest
      the continuing development and manufacture of these weapons, bearing
      witness in and through our presence and contemplative religious

      This event will be an opportunity to deepen our spirituality, open
      dialogues within our faith communities, and demonstrate our
      in the face of institutionalized violence.

      Our spiritual life exists in a society steeped in violence of all
      kinds: physical violence, violence against the human spirit, and
      violence against the earth. Our spiritual work, in whatever form it
      may take, must bear witness to another way.

      We know that our human responsibilities cannot be met with good
      intentions alone. But how can we act in solidarity with all life,
      joy and in confidence? In this retreat, we will be facing this
      question directly, living inside it, and whatever else we also find,
      we will ourselves be answers.

      Schedule and Logistics

      If you drive here, please arrive at the Ponderosa Campground of
      Bandelier National Monument no later than 2:00 pm on Monday, May 22
      (we will send you a map).

      If you fly here, we will pick you up at the Albuquerque airport on
      Monday--but only if you arrive NO LATER THAN NOON.

      The retreat will begin with a guided tour of the lab at 3:00 pm
      followed by informal dinner and tea, orientation, assignment of
      retreat responsibilities, opening dedication, and the first period of
      silent meditation. Meditation and prayer will then begin again at
      am the next morning at the campground, and will continue in regular
      periods for the rest of the week. There will be periods of silent
      walking throughout each day and a short talk with discussion each

      We will provide a vegetarian breakfast and dinner; participants will
      join nuclear weapons workers for lunch in the main lab cafeteria
      (about $6 per day; bring cash).

      Each evening, presentations and group discussion will take place at
      historic Fuller Lodge in downtown Los Alamos, the civic "heart" of
      town. The evening sessions will be open to the public.

      The retreat will conclude at 9:00 pm on Friday evening. Breakfast
      be served on Saturday at the campground for those who will be staying
      overnight. Vans will leave for the airport at 9:00 am, arriving there
      at 11:00 am.

      Those wishing to join the retreat on a part-time basis may attend one
      or more morning or afternoon sessions. If you come, you must stay for
      the whole morning or afternoon.

      If you wish to come in the morning, please come quietly to Ponderosa
      Campground between 6:40 and 6:50 am.

      If you wish to join in the afternoon, please come to the campground
      before 1:00 pm. Vans will return you to the campground at roughly
      pm and 5:15pm.

      Do not attempt to drive directly to the retreat – lab security
      will turn you away.

      -------- Yes, I will attend full time

      -------- I will attend on these dates:

      -------- I will attend as an individual.

      -------- I will be representing an organization. Name and address of

      -------- I have some special dietary needs:

      -------- I will need to stay indoors, or have other special needs:

      -------- I can bring a tent which could shelter ____ people.

      The cost for the full retreat is $60.00. For those attending
      part-time, the cost is $18.00 per day or $10.00 for each half-day.

      Vilma Ruiz
      Los Alamos Study Group
      212 East Marcy Street #10, Santa Fe, NM 87501
      Tel. (505) 982-7747 Fax (505) 982-8502
      Email: vruiz@...