381Call for Papers: Can the Market be Moral? Re: [ineb] Re: "Buddhist Economics" 6th July

  • Ulas Basar GEZGiN
    Jul 7, 2003
      Hi,
      After our round table discussion about Buddhist
      economics yesterday, I thought the post below is
      relevant.

      Here is a call for papers from International
      Sociological Association.
      The central question is: "Can the Market Be Moral"

      Some of you would be interested in the website too:
      www.JIS3.org

      I am sorry upon interrupting, if you have no interest
      in Buddhist economics.

      With kind regards,
      uli
      (economic psychologist who still insists that the
      distinction between economics and economy is
      crucial:))

      Aj. Ulas Basar Gezgin,
      Makud Muang Rachawithayalai School,
      190 Moo1, T. Banna, A. Klaeng/ Rayong, 21110/ THAILAND

      Tel. 0066 2 7- 0214807
      0066 159 007 55
      (Turkce yapitlari icin
      http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas
      (For his English works
      http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas/hislife.htm

      =======================

      >Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:32:41 +0200
      >From: isa@... (International Sociological
      Association)
      >Subject: Call for papers - Can the Market be Moral?
      >
      >To: Members of the International Sociological
      Association

      >Call for Papers
      >Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies
      >Can the Market be Moral?
      >Vol. XVI no.. 1/2 2004
      >
      >It has become commonplace to expect unbounded
      progress in
      >advanced industrial societies via science,
      technology, and the
      >market. And while government has grown both in its
      monitoring
      >and regulatory functions regarding the economy,
      individual and
      >corporate human decision-making remain pivotal in
      market
      >competition. This fact is underscored by both the
      achievements
      >and failures in the world of business. Spectacular
      corporate
      >bankruptcies and shareholder losses raise the issue
      of
      >individual and corporate moral responsibility.
      >
      >Reinhold Niebuhr's paradigmatic notion in Moral Man
      and Immoral
      >Society (1932) might be rephrased in a postmodern era
      lacking a
      >moral compass as: Can there be a moral society,
      economy, and
      >market composed of immoral men? Why do individuals
      tend to
      >relax their ethical standards when acting in groups
      or
      >collectivities? How, then, can the American
      experiment in
      >democracy understood as popular self-government, the
      rule of
      >law, and free enterprise fulfil its promise of
      liberty,
      >equality, and justice for all?
      >
      >Deadline for submitting papers: 1 January 2004.
      >
      >Send 3 both-sided copies of: 15-25 page manuscript
      and
      >150-word abstract, typed, double-spaced, in-text
      citation
      >format, author identification on a separate sheet
      only (with

      --- suancompany <suanco@...> wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > IN HONOUR OF THE BIRTHDAY OF HIS HOLINESS THE
      > DALAI LAMA
      >

      > The Sathirakoses Nagapradipa Foundation
      >
      > and
      >
      > Suan Nguen Mee Ma Co., Ltd.
      >
      > co-organize a
      >
      > ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION
      > on
      >
      > BUDDHIST ECONOMICS
      > with
      >
      > Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa and Ajarn Apichai Puntasen
      >
      > in dialogue with a circle of discussion partners.
      >

      > Moderator: Pracha Hutanawatr
      > Buddhist Economics can be understood in a strict
      > sense. The book Buddhist Economics of Ven. Payuttho
      > (Thailand) is a very good example of the application
      > of Therevada teachings towards economic life. Seen
      > from a broader perspective E.F. Schumacher�s Small
      > is Beautiful has been the eye- opener for many
      > towards the notion that economics can ~ and should?
      > ~ be Buddhist. More recently H.H. the Dalai Lama
      > inspired business leaders to rethink their economic
      > paradigms. The broader understanding of �Buddhist
      > Economics� includes interaction with other
      > worldviews in a common effort to feed �holistic
      > development� with visionary business approaches.
      > This new vision is based on grassroots experiences
      > of people�s organisations (like community
      > enterprises and farmers� movements) in the first
      > place, but also addresses macro-economic and
      > cultural challenges.
      >
      > The Sunday 6th July Roundtable discussion in the
      > �New Century� building is an opportunity to
      > anticipate the International Workshop on Buddhist
      > Economics to be held in September with Sulak
      > Sivaraksa, Helena Norberg-Hodge and Vandana Shiva.
      > This workshop will take place in Bija Vidyapeeth,
      > College for Sustainable Living, near Dehra Dun,
      > India; the Asian sister project of Schumacher
      > College U.K.
      >
      > Later in the year the Social Venture Network
      > (SVN) will organize the conference �Re-thinking
      > Corporate Social Responsibility. Living Economies in
      > Asia� and one of its workshops will be hosted by the
      > �Spirit in Business� group that organized
      > conferences in USA and Europe with H.H. the Dalai
      > Lama, S.K. Goenka and Hazel Henderson.
      >
      > Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa is Right Livelihood
      > Recipient and was honoured with the �Gandhi
      > Millennium Award�. Ajarn Apichai is researcher and
      > lecturer at Thammasat University. The Moderator of
      > the Roundtable, Pracha Hutanawtr, prepares a
      > creative gathering in Ashram Wongsanit on �Buddhism
      > and Development� in cooperation with the World
      > Faiths Development Dialogue (WFDD: an initiative of
      > the Archbishop of Canterbury and James Wolfensohn of
      > The World Bank) in December 2003.
      >

      > Translation from Thai into English will be
      > provided. Donations welcome.
      >
      > Suan Nguen Mee Ma Co., Ltd.
      > GARDEN OF FRUITION
      > 117 Fuang Nakorn Road (Opp. Wat Rajabopit)
      > Bangkok 10200
      > SIAM (Thailand)
      >
      > Tel.: (66)(2)6220955 Fax.: (66)(2)6223228

      =====
      Aj. Ulas Basar Gezgin,
      Makud Muang Rachawithayalai School, Bilingual Department
      190 Moo1, T. Banna, A. Klaeng/ Rayong, 21110/ THAILAND
      Tel. 0066 2 7- 0214807
      0066 159 007 55
      (Turkce yapitlari icin http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas
      (For his English works http://www.ekolojikpolitika.org/ulas/hislife.htm