Re: [indyultimate] This message rated "U" for Ultimate players ... .

  • Wiggins d Anconia
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
      > All,
      >
      > I wanted to take the opportunity (before a rabid pack of predators begin
      > consuming anyone bit by bit,) to make a few comments and recommend an
      "abc"
      > set of operating guidelines for posting to indyultimate in the future.
      > Ultimate players are part of an international community whose members
      seem
      > to enjoy improving themselves collectively and individually both on
      and off
      > of the field of play. I would prefer we adopt the following "abc" posting
      > parameters to expand the conversation appropriately (out of consideration
      > for the previously mentioned concerns,) especially 1) since people in
      > general seem to suffer too often from an unfortunate combination of
      apathy,
      > a sense of disenfranchisement, and ignorance, and 2) this is a
      presidential
      > election year with candidates that have been imploring, if not begging
      > individuals to at least inform themselves and participate in the process
      > (even though the electoral college seems to ironically and completely
      > disenfranchise the individual's vote for president ... .)
      >
      > Posting messages that are (a)ccurate, (b)rief, and (c)urteous (if not
      > (c)reative,) should ensure that members of the indyultimate group will be
      > able to respectfully discuss "related" issues that are important
      personally
      > and professionally. These dialogues certainly fall in the domain of civic
      > responsibilities of the citizens of a democracy or republic, let alone
      the
      > Ultimate community. Please send notes to my attention or the list
      regarding
      > disagreement as necessary, and remember, that I have given this issue
      much
      > thought in advance over the last couple of days, and would prefer that we
      > reach consesus on this topic without investing much more time and energy
      > (though I would happily schedule time to discuss establishing an
      additional
      > group or mechanism(s) for communicating if necessary next week should
      there
      > be a desire to continue this thread further.)
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Woody (hoping the !@#$% hotmail editor preserves the original intended
      line
      > breaks ...)

      As a geek subscribed to entirely too many mailing lists, I would at
      least suggest that such messages have their subject line prepended with
      an 'OT:' or '[OT]' or some such indication that the message is
      off-topic, for example,

      Subject: OT: Red Wings win Stanley Cup!

      This generally appeases people in other forums where gurus from the
      olden days of the Internet lurk...

      As a side note, I agree that part of building a community is the ability
      to discuss issues that, that community's members feel sufficiently
      strong about. (Naturally hockey falls into this category, though
      politics is a bit of a stretch ;-)).

      http://danconia.org
    • Michael Labellarte
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2004
        How about eliminating about 25 adverbs, 16 adjectives,
        54 pronouns, and spare me about 10 minutes of wasted
        reading time!!!!!!!!!!1
        Labo
        --- Wiggins d Anconia <wiggins@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > > Woody (hoping the !@#$% hotmail editor preserves
        > the original intended
        > line
        > > breaks ...)
        > >

        > As a geek subscribed to entirely too many mailing
        > lists, I would at
        > least suggest that such messages have their subject
        > line prepended with
        > an 'OT:' or '[OT]' or some such indication that the
        > message is
        > off-topic, for example,
        >
        > Subject: OT: Red Wings win Stanley Cup!
        >
        > This generally appeases people in other forums where
        > gurus from the
        > olden days of the Internet lurk...
        >
        > As a side note, I agree that part of building a
        > community is the ability
        > to discuss issues that, that community's members
        > feel sufficiently
        > strong about. (Naturally hockey falls into this

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • granbit
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2004
          I thought the letter "b" equaled "brief?"

          Signed,

          Crabby Rich

          _____
          > Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.
          > http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200364ave/direct/01/
        • Wiggins d Anconia
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2004
            It equals "brief".

            How could "b" ever stand for a question, jeez Rich.