new member

  • ardicardic
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 25, 2004
      hi to everybody from Ýstanbul, Turkey.

      ardic
    • sandralzires
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
        Hello all,
        I am new to this group and am looking for info regarding alternative
        schooling. I live in a Nashville, TN suburb where corporal punishment
        is widely administered. I can't believe that this is actually
        happening in the US. I am considering a move out of this state if I
        must.
        I would love to find a school that is nature-based with as much as
        outdoor time as possible. My son needs to be outside as much as
        possible. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
        Thanks,
        Sandra
      • Jessi Miller
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 8, 2005
          Hi Sandra,
          I don't know of any mainstream schooling across the
          country that is very natural or perfect... but my kids
          are in Montessori, which is the best thing I can find,
          especially in my area. I'm in a pretty conservative
          area of central Florida. Montessori is, as far as I
          know, the best method currently easily found in the
          US. There may be invividual schools scattered about
          that have better approaches. Look into it, the
          Montessori method is about NOT trying to make children
          fit into an average profile. It deals with individual
          learning styles and does not confine the children in
          desks all day. My kids, and everyone I know who's kids
          have attended, are 2 years ahead of other schools, at
          least.
          Good luck in your search...
          love,
          Jessi

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • ArtistDesigner@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 8, 2005
            Hi,
            My oldest son, who is now 22, went to Montessori schools until
            kindergarten. He then went to various Christian schools as they are the ONLY type of
            private schooling available in my city. I eventually had to pull him out and
            put him in regular public schools because the Christian schools here were
            very judge mental about him and his unusual abilities and were telling him they
            were of the devil. Most of the Montessori schools he attended were abs
            olutely wonderful and he thrived. In some areas Montessori schools continue
            through all grades but here only in pre-school. I have heard about Waldorf
            schools that are supposed to be a very good environment for our kids and they
            special needs they have but alas none are available in my area and I have two
            more sons, very young who would greatly benefit from it.
            If I had the money, I would try very hard to get together with other
            Indigo parents and start a specialized chain of schools just for our children.
            It's about time...the world is filled with Indigos now. Here is some
            information about Waldorf schools. _http://www.waldorfanswers.org/_
            (http://www.waldorfanswers.org/)
            Donna

            Hi Sandra,
            I don't know of any mainstream schooling across the
            country that is very natural or perfect... but my kids
            are in Montessori, which is the best thing I can find,
            especially in my area. I'm in a pretty conservative
            area of central Florida. Montessori is, as far as I
            know, the best method currently easily found in the
            US. There may be invividual schools scattered about
            that have better approaches. Look into it, the
            Montessori method is about NOT trying to make children
            fit into an average profile. It deals with individual
            learning styles and does not confine the children in
            desks all day. My kids, and everyone I know who's kids
            have attended, are 2 years ahead of other schools, at
            least.
            Good luck in your search...
            love,
            Jessi

          • Gaia Trek
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8, 2005
              Hi Jessi and Sandra,

              I'm new to the group also. I'm Chloe. Jessi, how old are your kids? Will
              you have them in Montessori all the way through to high school graduation?
              I think Montessori schools are great but our hometown never got one until
              after my kids already hit middle school. Would you recommend transferring
              kids (teens) from public schools over to Montessori?

              Peace,

              Chloe

              _____

              I don't know of any mainstream schooling across the
              country that is very natural or perfect... but my kids
              are in Montessori, which is the best thing I can find,
              especially in my area. I'm in a pretty conservative
              area of central Florida. Montessori is, as far as I
              know, the best method currently easily found in the
              US. There may be invividual schools scattered about
              that have better approaches. Look into it, the
              Montessori method is about NOT trying to make children
              fit into an average profile. It deals with individual
              learning styles and does not confine the children in
              desks all day. My kids, and everyone I know who's kids
              have attended, are 2 years ahead of other schools, at
              least.
              Good luck in your search...
              love,
              Jessi

              --- sandralzires <sandralzires@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              > I am new to this group and am looking for info
              > regarding alternative
              > schooling. I live in a Nashville, TN suburb where
              > corporal punishment
              > is widely administered. I can't believe that this
              > is actually
              > happening in the US. I am considering a move out of
              > this state if I
              > must.
              > I would love to find a school that is nature-based
              > with as much as
              > outdoor time as possible. My son needs to be
              > outside as much as
              > possible. If anyone has any suggestions I would be
              > very grateful.
              > Thanks,
              > Sandra

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "indigo-schools
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indigo-schools> " on the web.

              _____

            • Jessi Miller
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8, 2005
                Donna,
                WOW I am still amazed at small-mindedness. How
                terrible to have to go through that withthe Christian
                schools. I'm lucky, the Montessori in my town goes
                through elementary school. But when middle-school
                comes, I'm going to be at a loss. My kids are only 3
                and 5 right now, so I've got some time. I would LOVE
                if there could be a school for Indigos, or even a nice
                small private "home-made" school. Two women I know who
                are of new thought mentality have been talking about
                it, so maybe I'll try to get involved to help that.
                But, I don't have much time or money.
                Anyway, thanks for sharing, and I'll look up the
                Waldorfs.
                love,
                Jessi

                --- ArtistDesigner@... wrote:

                > Hi,
                > My oldest son, who is now 22, went to Montessori
                > schools until
                > kindergarten. He then went to various Christian
                > schools as they are the ONLY type of
                > private schooling available in my city. I
                > eventually had to pull him out and
                > put him in regular public schools because the
                > Christian schools here were
                > very judge mental about him and his unusual
                > abilities and were telling him they
                > were of the devil. Most of the Montessori schools
                > he attended were abs
                > olutely wonderful and he thrived. In some areas
                > Montessori schools continue
                > through all grades but here only in pre-school. I
                > have heard about Waldorf
                > schools that are supposed to be a very good
                > environment for our kids and they
                > special needs they have but alas none are available
                > in my area and I have two
                > more sons, very young who would greatly benefit
                > from it.
                > If I had the money, I would try very hard to get
                > together with other
                > Indigo parents and start a specialized chain of
                > schools just for our children.
                > It's about time...the world is filled with Indigos
                > now. Here is some
                > information about Waldorf schools.
                > _http://www.waldorfanswers.org/_
                > (http://www.waldorfanswers.org/)
                > Donna
                >
                > Hi Sandra,
                > I don't know of any mainstream schooling across the
                > country that is very natural or perfect... but my
                > kids
                > are in Montessori, which is the best thing I can
                > find,
                > especially in my area. I'm in a pretty conservative
                > area of central Florida. Montessori is, as far as I
                > know, the best method currently easily found in the
                > US. There may be invividual schools scattered about
                > that have better approaches. Look into it, the
                > Montessori method is about NOT trying to make
                > children
                > fit into an average profile. It deals with
                > individual
                > learning styles and does not confine the children
                > in
                > desks all day. My kids, and everyone I know who's
                > kids
                > have attended, are 2 years ahead of other schools,
                > at
                > least.
                > Good luck in your search...
                > love,
                > Jessi

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jessi Miller
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8, 2005
                  Hi Chloe,
                  My kids are 3 and 5. The Montessori here only goes
                  through 6th grade, so no... I don't know what I'll be
                  doing with them after that. Everyone I know who has
                  had their kids in Montessori then put them in another
                  middle school, the kids are way ahead, bored,
                  confined, not relating to the attitudes and violence,
                  etc. I would guess that Montessori would be better at
                  whatever grade they're in, but it probably depends on
                  the individual schools. I certainly hope something
                  better comes along or opens up by the time my kids are
                  done with 6th grade.
                  best,
                  Jessi

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • sandralzires
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 9, 2005
                    Hello all,
                    Thanks for your emails. My children are 7, 5, & 2. I am very
                    familiar with Waldorf schooling. I believe it is the most child-
                    centered approach available. Teachers have to undergo one year of
                    spiritual training as apart of their curriculum. Montessori and
                    Waldorf differ in that Montessori prefers to keep children in the
                    concrete (i.e. using mini real world objects as toys) Waldorf also
                    uses such toys, however they prefer to keep the child in their
                    natural dream-like state until after 6 or 7. They feel it's a left-
                    brain vs. right brain thing. Both educational approaches do agree
                    that there is a developmental shift at 7. They are both much better
                    than public schools.

                    I personally like Waldorf better based primarily on their notion of
                    keeping a child in the dreamy state. They do not push hardcore
                    academics until that 7-year shift. They believe that not pushing
                    too early is helpful in fostering a love of learning. I had a
                    Montessori teacher ask me over the phone once if my 3 year old had
                    Montessori experience? She sort of snubbed us when I replied no.
                    On another occasion a Montessori teacher asked me if my 6 yr old
                    could read. She wasn't sure they could take him if he couldn't.
                    Those two experiences made me wonder if Montessori wasn't too
                    academic too early.

                    Another interesting education is the Sudbury model. They are
                    democratic schools. Children can work on what they like and
                    intermingle on a campus-like setting with adults. Some children may
                    decide to join in on cooking, while others decide to work on a
                    garden project. These schools are also somewhat hard to find.
                    I'll attach the link below.
                    I wish I could find a nature-based school. Lets say, an old
                    Victorian home with lots of property to roam. Add a bit of
                    Montessori, Waldorf and Sudbury and viola, a rich learning
                    environment (mostly outdoors) with the child-centered approach. How
                    does that sound? Well, we can dream can't we? Have a good weekend
                    all.
                    Sandra

                    http://www.sudburynetwork.org/h a link.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Just changing the subject line on this very valuable and informative post.
                      Thanks Sandra!

                      Infinite love is who we are,
                      Karen

                      At 04:21 PM 12/9/2005, you wrote:

                      >Hello all,
                      >Thanks for your emails. My children are 7, 5, & 2. I am very
                      >familiar with Waldorf schooling. I believe it is the most child-
                      >centered approach available. Teachers have to undergo one year of
                      >spiritual training as apart of their curriculum. Montessori and
                      >Waldorf differ in that Montessori prefers to keep children in the
                      >concrete (i.e. using mini real world objects as toys) Waldorf also
                      >uses such toys, however they prefer to keep the child in their
                      >natural dream-like state until after 6 or 7. They feel it's a left-
                      >brain vs. right brain thing. Both educational approaches do agree
                      >that there is a developmental shift at 7. They are both much better
                      >than public schools.
                      >
                      >I personally like Waldorf better based primarily on their notion of
                      >keeping a child in the dreamy state. They do not push hardcore
                      >academics until that 7-year shift. They believe that not pushing
                      >too early is helpful in fostering a love of learning. I had a
                      >Montessori teacher ask me over the phone once if my 3 year old had
                      >Montessori experience? She sort of snubbed us when I replied no.
                      >On another occasion a Montessori teacher asked me if my 6 yr old
                      >could read. She wasn't sure they could take him if he couldn't.
                      >Those two experiences made me wonder if Montessori wasn't too
                      >academic too early.
                      >
                      >Another interesting education is the Sudbury model. They are
                      >democratic schools. Children can work on what they like and
                      >intermingle on a campus-like setting with adults. Some children may
                      >decide to join in on cooking, while others decide to work on a
                      >garden project. These schools are also somewhat hard to find.
                      >I'll attach the link below.
                      >I wish I could find a nature-based school. Lets say, an old
                      >Victorian home with lots of property to roam. Add a bit of
                      >Montessori, Waldorf and Sudbury and viola, a rich learning
                      >environment (mostly outdoors) with the child-centered approach. How
                      >does that sound? Well, we can dream can't we? Have a good weekend
                      >all.
                      >Sandra
                      >
                      >http://www.sudburynetwork.org/h a link.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Sara Dennison
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                        I would love to get every ones opinion on a possibly great opportunity for my son Nathan who is 6 years old. He has been attending public school since kindergarten. I have always wished I could get him into some type of Montessori schooling but have not had the means but I just amazingly found a charter school in my county that is Montessori. It is small, about 150-200 kids, grade K-8, has the noncompetitive free think approach and it's free as apposed to the 5-7 grand a year it would usually cost. My only dilemma is that the school is about an hour away through heavy traffic. His public school is right around the corner and my job only a mile away from our house . We would leave at 7:30 in the morning and get home by 6:30 at night, which means less free time after school for him. I feel like the opportunity is more that worth the extra drive time but would it be for him? I think so, what do you guys think?

                        Thanks!
                        Sara

                        ---------------------------------

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                          Hi Sara,
                          I would suggest that you give it a try. I think it may be better to try
                          it and find out his response to the new school then you will know for sure
                          if it is worth the extra time. If his feeling and yours is that it is about
                          the same, then replace him in the public school but if it's a better
                          situation, then you will never be sorry for the richer experiences he has at the new
                          school. There is nothing as bad as kicking yourself for something you wish
                          you did and had a chance to do. 10 years from now you can't go backwards and
                          re-do his schooling but you can always get him back into his public school if
                          you choose.
                          I am in the same exact situation that you are in ...I have 7 and 8 year
                          old boys and the schools here are too expensive for us and the charter
                          schools have a 2 year waiting list. Very frustrating.
                          I hope your able to try the new school. Good luck!
                          Donna

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                            Hi Sara,

                            I'm inclined to think that if Montessori is in your heart, it's probably
                            worth the drive and time. Is the cost of gas an issue? I used to commute
                            an hour to work and then back every day and I found having that extra time
                            to wake up, meditate, relax, wind down, and meditate some more was just what
                            the doctor ordered. If I could do that everyday with my children, have two
                            hours a day without any distractions, just our conversations, meditations,
                            or silence, I would be in heaven. Will you miss two hours out of your day
                            that you otherwise spend doing housework, errands, etc? I found that the
                            time spent in the car was wonderful but it did mean running a little faster
                            afterwards to catch up and keep my day in tact. Can you delegate to a
                            spouse or significant other when you need some things picked up from the
                            store? Does Montessori give any homework? That would be something else to
                            think about, especially if you have multiple children as you'll have less
                            hours left over to do it in. You want to be sure you don't burn yourself
                            out trying to meet your day's expectations in a limited time agenda. If it
                            were me, I would take a day or two or three and just go "be" at the school;
                            maybe take your son with you. Your intuition will speak loudly to you about
                            where you need to be from that point forward.

                            Let us know what you decide and then keep us posted as to how it's going.
                            I'd love to hear more.

                            Love,

                            Chloe

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                              Go for it!!!
                              Find fun things for him to do in the car --
                              Get books on tape from the library.
                              Play memory games.
                              Maybe he would like to close his eyes and see if he can keep track of
                              where you are.
                              See if you can work a car pool with anyone.
                              Maybe he can get his homework done in the car.
                              Brainstorm with him. Think outside the box.
                              Find places to stop along the way for "enrichment" experiences.
                              If he likes the school maybe you can move closer to it?
                              And maybe find a better job close to the school?
                              Set your intention for this to be a marvelous step in a positive direction.
                              Go for it!

                              Infinite love is who we are,
                              Karen

                            • Jessi Miller
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
                                Karen, I just wanted to say that your ideas are great!
                                You're obviously a creative and positive thinker! ....
                                and ...
                                Sara, I totally agree with Karen. I don't have the
                                drive, but I do spend a lot of money that I honestly
                                don't have to put my 2 kids in a private Montessori
                                school. Once I decided and put them in, somehow I've
                                been able to do it - and it's been 2 years now! I will
                                keep them in as long as I can, as it goes up to 6th
                                grade. If I can't be with them in the day to raise
                                them and school them myself, this is the most
                                important thing (after a roof and food etc). So, good
                                for you for finding somehting you can afford, do it!
                                Congrats. Just wait, you'll love the difference you
                                see in Nathan!
                                Jessi

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • recyclingmommy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 14, 2006
                                  Hi.. I found this group while searching for sudberry school groups.
                                  We homeschool our 8 year old here in Ky. Our 14 year old made the
                                  choice to go back into public middle for more social this year, and
                                  with out large cash there isn't other choices here.It is still in my
                                  vision to have that and be part more part of that change.
                                  I am involved witha 20 plus hs family child led concencioues making
                                  coop , which is exciting.
                                  I am familar with crystal, rainbow, and indigo children, and look
                                  foward to the sharing,with the alternative ed with this in mind. The
                                  new web site just posted(by ?) looks good..!!
                                  Kim