Help! Advice on Teaching

  • Kendrah
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2004
      Hello Everyone!

      I am so happy there is a group like this! It is so refreshing to see
      so many people getting together to share information on how to
      educate/raise our children in this suffocating Big Brother
      world... :)

      My name is Kendrah Palk and I am a first year teacher here in
      Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I got my teaching certification because
      while volunteering at an elementary school, I was amazed at how the
      children were learning. It was an "alternative school" where
      children were reasearching and learning at their own pace. The
      children were motivated and highly engaged! The classroom community
      was great. I had no idea school could be so close knit and feel like
      home. I knew that kind of environment is where i belonged.

      Unfortunately, this isn't the case for many schools out there.
      I am teaching 1st grade in a public school. I love working with the
      children, but am enraged with the "schooling" aspect.
      After graduating ( i went to the university of michigan), I moved to
      Tennessee because jobs were so scarce in Michigan. I found a
      teaching job and here I am .. I feel that I am not fulfilling what I
      am supposed to be. I feel I do not have the freedom to teach in a
      way that fits my personality and style. By the time I conform my
      teaching ... into what the district expects, including all the
      policies and procedures and curriculum... I am just another spoke in
      the machiene...

      i want to continue to work with children, stay in the education
      field, but do not want to teach in a traditional school. Are there
      opportunities to get involved in the homeschooling community? Does
      anyone have any ideas ... or suggestions for a more... self-employed
      aspect to education??? How I can get started, etc.?
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
        Kendrah:

        If you go to www.sarahwood.com you can take a class
        and get certified in working on meditation and things
        to help in your work. The classes are offered via
        teleconference, and in Asheville, North Carolina. A
        stones throw from Tennessee.

        Check it out.

        Keith

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail