Homeschoolers in the trenches

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2003

      >Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:43:42 -0400
      >Subject: [TerranCouncil] Homeschoolers in the trenches
      >

      >Homeschoolers in the trenches
      >David Limbaugh
      >
      >June 18, 2003
      >
      >Given the poor academic track record of public education in many areas of
      >this country, you would think the government and education establishment
      >would be a little less arrogant about superimposing their will on
      >homeschooling families who prefer to opt out of their system. But you
      >would be wrong.
      >
      >The establishment's assault against the homeschooling movement continues.
      >In Waltham, Mass., local authorities are so adamant about imposing their
      >mandatory standardized testing that they sent social workers and policemen
      >to the home of George and Kim Bryant at 7:45 a.m. last Thursday demanding
      >their two teenagers take the tests.
      >
      >According to Worldnetdaily.com, the Department of Social Services (DSS)
      >actually threatened to take the Bryant's children away from them over this
      >issue -- if other issues were involved, the article didn't say so. But the
      >Bryants refused to let their children go, believing they have a right to
      >determine their children's educational choices.
      >
      >The Waltham Public School's homeschooling policy mandates that parents
      >develop a grading system and file educational plans for homeschooled
      >children, but the Bryants have steadfastly resisted the government controls.
      >
      >It's not that homeschooling families are afraid of competing with their
      >public school counterparts. Homeschoolers have continually done well on
      >academic tests and contests.
      >
      >In 2000, the top three winners in the Scripps-Howard News Service's
      >National Spelling Bee were all home-schooled. This is all the more
      >remarkable when you consider that only 11 percent of the contestants were
      >homeschoolers. That same year, homeschoolers placed first and second in
      >the National Geography Bee.
      >
      >There's more. According to official reports for the American College
      >Testing Program (ACT), homeschoolers have scored higher on average than
      >students in public and private schools. In 2000, the average composite ACT
      >score for high school students was 21, while homeschool students scored 22.8.
      >
      >Dr. Lawrence M. Rudner, an expert in quantitative analysis and one who has
      >studied the performance of homeschoolers, once remarked that this move to
      >make homeschoolers meet public school standards was "odd" given the
      >superior academic performance of homeschoolers.
      >
      >Rudner conducted a study in 1998 that included 20,760 students in 11,930
      >familes. He found that in every subject and at every grade level (K-12),
      >"home school students scored significantly higher than their public and
      >private school counterparts." Some 25 percent of all home school students
      >at that time were enrolled at a grade level or more beyond that dictated
      >by their age. According to the study, the average eighth grade
> [...]

      http://www.karen-eck.com 541-523-0494 Toll Free 888-345-9657
      *People love Seasilver -- it literally sells itself*
      *http://karen88eck.seasilverhealth.com one real food liquid nutritional
      supplement*
      Your purchases/donations help support this information ministry.
      http://www.paypal.com to kareneck@...
      PO Box 445, Baker City, OR 97814
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2003