FW: Cooperative Learning Transformative Learning Conference

  • Nicoletta Manns
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      FW: Cooperative Learning Transformative
      Learning Conference

      Anyone who wants to join a panel on creating learning communites
      as part of this ICTL may send information to me
      Bill Ellis

      ----------
      From: ecospirit@...
      To: CCL-LLCs@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Cooperative Learning Transformative Learning Conference
      Date: Mon, Apr 30, 2001, 11:37 PM

      THIRD CALL FOR PAPERS and PANELS

      Fourth International Conference on Transformative Learning:
      "Multiple Currents: Expanding The Boundaries of Transformative
      Learning"

      HOSTED BY: The Transformative Learning Centre at the Ontario
      Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto
      (www.tlcentre.org)

      CONFERENCE DATE: November 1,2, and 3 2001

      PLACE: Toronto, Canada

      DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: May 15, 2001

      CONFERENCE WEB SITE:
      http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~tlcentre/tlconference2001.htm

      KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

      Gregory Cajete: a Tewa from Santa Clara Pueblo, New Mexico, educator,
      artist, and educational consultant, founding Director of the
      Institute of American Indian Arts, and Associate Professor in the College of
      Education at the University of New Mexico.

      Henry Giroux: a leading writer and educator within the Critical Theory
      tradition in education. Author of Ideology, Culture and the Process of
      Schooling (1981), Waterbury Chair Professor in Secondary Education in
      Penn State's College of Education, and Director of the Watebury Forum in
      Education and Cultural Studies.

      Edmund O'Sullivan: a professor at the Ontario Instituted for Studies
      of the University of Toronto, Director of the Transformative Learning
      Centre, and author of Transformative Learning: Educational Vision for the 21
      st Century.

      Moema Viezzer: a Director of Rede Mulher, a Brazilian Feminist Popular
      Education Network.

      Jack Mezirow: Professor at Teachers College Colombia University and
      leading author on transformative learning.

      Elizabeth Kasl: Professor at California Institute for Integral
      Studies and coordinator of the Transformative Learning Option at CIIS.

      CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

      The theme of this year's conference is: "Multiple Currents: Expanding
      The Boundaries of Transformative Learning". In the field of education
      there is a growing use of the term `transformative learning' which appears
      to be coming out of multiple and diverse areas of educational concern.

      At the Transformative Learning Centre (TLC), we attempt dialogue
      between people and communities in areas as diverse as ecological,
      aboriginal, feminist, anti-racist, and post-colonial studies and/or
      movements; popular, global and holistic education; critical pedagogy and
      cultural studies. This dialogue generates creative tensions that have
      informed and expanded our views of transformative learning and the
      possibilities of personal and/or social transformation. Our intention in
      hosting this Fourth Annual Conference is to engage other educators/learners/
      social actors in this broader exploration. The TLC's working definition of
      transformative learning is as follows:

      "Transformative learning involves experiencing a deep, structural
      shift in basic premises of thought, feelings, and actions. It is a shift of
      consciousness that dramatically and permanently alters our way of
      being in the world. Such a shift involves our understanding of ourselves and
      our self-locations; our relationships with other humans and with the
      natural world; our understanding of relations of power in interlocking
      structures of class, race and gender; our body awareness, our visions of
      alternative approaches to living; and our sense of possibilities for social
      justice and peace and personal joy."

      This conference will emphasize knowledge diversities, and bring into
      dialogue educators and social actors from different sites where the
      language of transformation is being used and the practise of
      transformation engaged. We will continue to carry forward the history
      of the previous conferences at Teachers College Columbia University and the
      California Institute for Integral Studies (CIIS), and also expand the
      boundaries to encourage participation from others. We will attempt to
      support this diversity for creative educational dialogue in the hope
      of deepening existing theory and practice. In this spirit, the
      conference will include :

      - Innovative practice workshops
      - Paper presentations
      - Poster presentations and other visual displays
      - Presentations by noted leaders in the field of transformative
      learning
      - Arts based performances that address transformation
      - Popular education approaches to transformative learning
      - Self-organized pre and post conference sessions or workshops
      - Special speakers

      The Transformative Learning Centre at OISE/UT (TLC), the Ontario
      Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) and the University of Toronto are
      sponsoring the Fourth International Conference on Transformative
      Learning, in collaboration with the Centre for Arts-informed Research (CAIR
      at
      OISE/UT), the Indigenous Education Network (IEN at OISE/UT;
      http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/other/ien/ienpage.html).

      The TLC is also associated with Focus on Work Place Learning and
      Change (OISE/UT), Centre for Anti-Racist Studies (OISE/UT), Institute for
      Environmental Studies at the University of Toronto (IES;
      http://www.utoronto.ca/env/ies/ies.htm), and the Elliot Allen
      Institute for Theology and Ecology at St. Michael College-University of
      Toronto
      (http://www.utoronto.ca/stmikes/).

      We are also pleased to have the assistance of the Transformation Fici
      at Teachers College, Columbia University (http://www.tc.columbia.edu/)
      and the California Institute for Integral Studies http://www.ciis.edu/).

      The conference design committee is conformed by: Dr. Edmund
      O'Sullivan, Dr. Daniel Schugurensky, Lisa Lipsitt, Renee Shilling, Barbara
      Smith,
      and Janice Clark. Luis Barnola is responsible of the website and
      electronic communication.

      INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPOSALS

      To assist potential conference presenters and panel organizers in the
      areas listed above, some guiding questions may be kept in mind :

      1. In your work, how do you understand transformative learning and how
      does your understanding relate (or not) to the definition posed above?

      2. How do you distinguish transformative learning from other types of
      learning?

      3. Does the process of transformative learning imply or require
      particular content, i.e. are all changes transformational? Does any
      content-shift
      constitute transformative learning? Or do make explicit assumptions
      about what constitutes a "perspective transformation"?

      4. Transformative education for what? And transformation from what to
      what?

      5. People who are not in the formal educational field of
      transformative learning nonetheless do transformative education. How does
      this work
      contribute to the understanding and theorizing of transformative education
      and learning?

      In sending a conference proposal (papers and/or panels), identify at
      the top what type of proposal it is from the options above. The proposal
      should be no more than 350 words (about a page and a half) double
      spaced. Participants should also include a short vitae not over half a page.

      THE DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS IS: May 15, 2001. Please send a HARD COPY
      of your proposal directly to Daniel Schugurensky by fax (416-926-4749)
      or by mail at:

      Dr. Daniel Schugurensky, OISE/UT
      252 Bloor Street West, 7th floor
      Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1V6, Canada.

      For any furhter inquiries about the conference, please communicate
      with us by e-mail at tlcentre@... or visit our conference
      Web Site:
      http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~tlcentre/tlconference2001.htm

      The Transformative Learning Centre (www.tlcentre.org) is a Centre for
      Research, Education, and Social Transformation.

      Warm Regards

      edmund o'sullivan

      Edmund O'Sullivan
      Professor and Director
      Transformative Learning Centre
      Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
      University of Toronto
      252 Bloor Street West
      Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1V6
      Canada
      E-mail: eosullivan@...
      Phone:416-923-6641-2592
      Fax:(416) 926-4749
      Website: www. tlcentre.org

      Cooperative Community Life-Long Learning Centers (CCL-LLCs) are emerging
      from the rapidly growing homeschooling and autodidact movements. They are
      the foundation for a radically different society. What are your thoughts?

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: LearningCommunities@onelist.com
      Subscribe: LearningCommunities-subscribe@onelist.com

      Shortcut URL to this page: