Link: in support of Sudbury Model

  • Robert Swanson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2001
      A delightful, most intelligent, website. I'm going to subscribe to their
      journal.
      robert

      TCS is an educational philosophy. Its most distinctive feature is the idea
      that it is possible and desirable to bring up children entirely without
      doing things to them against their will, or making them do things against
      their will, and that they are entitled to the same rights, respect and
      control over their lives as adults.

      TCS rejects the ³discipline is an expression of love² dogma that permeates
      conventional coercive parenting. Feeling love for another person does not
      confer the right to act towards them in a way that would be wrong if you did
      not love them. Love is no justification for tyranny.

      http://www.eeng.dcu.ie/~tcs/FAQ/FAQTheory.html
      TCS Theory

      TCS is an educational philosophy. TCS is part of the rationalist tradition,
      holding that it possible for human beings, through conjecture, reason and
      criticism, to come to know (tentatively) and understand truths about the
      world. TCS is also part of the fallibilist tradition, holding that human
      beings make mistakes, and that fallibility has important implications for
      parenting and education. TCS highlights the importance of consent in human
      relationships, and explains how coercion impairs creativity, which is the
      ability to think, learn and solve problems in the widest sense. TCS
      represents a profound criticism of prevailing theories of education and
      parenting, and provides a positive alternative.

      http://www.tcs.ac/Journal/tcsjournal.html
      TCS: the Taking Children Seriously Journal

      Compulsory teaching is the destruction of innocence, forcing the victims to
      waste the opportunity, which comes only once in each lifetime, to encounter
      that knowledge for the first time. It is no wonder, then, that pumping
      information prematurely into people's minds simply triggers emergency
      procedures that do everything in their power to shield the recipient from
      engaging with that information, and that the usual result is the permanent
      destruction of the recipient's ability to engage with information of that
      type.

      http://www.eeng.dcu.ie/~tcs/FAQ/FAQShortGlossary.html
      TCS Short Glossary

      when we say ³education², we do not mean what most people mean, namely the
      process of forcing people to memorise some predetermined information or
      acquire some standardised skill or behaviour. According to that definition,
      you ³educate² paper when you print the telephone directory on it.